Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Hard massive bastards......
Tyson 178 51.59%
Lewis 167 48.41%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #16
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 75
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
Prime Tyson would beat prime Lewis IMO. As someone already mentioned, Tyson had good head movement, great foot speed, unbelievable hand-speed for a heavyweight, and you can't forget his punching power. Throw in his damn good chin and he would be really hard to beat at his prime.

Lewis, as great as he was, could be caught and knocked out (See Rahman). He wasn't exceptionally fast, but you couldn't count out his ring intelligence which is rare in heavyweights.

I guess the best way to put it would be like this. If Tyson caught and hurt Lewis in the early rounds, Tyson would pretty much finish him off. If Lewis were to somehow be able to last past the 4th or 5th round I think the chances of him beating Tyson would go up the longer the fight went, if that makes any sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tays001 View Post
a prime tyson has to much head movement and foot speed for lewis to react to. he had great head and body combo's as got inside very quickly. just My Opinion
Exactly.

Lennox only chance is convince Tyson that he can withstand his best, which Lennox couldn't IMO.
Slacker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #17
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,642
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Tyson gets inside and bombs him. Lewis won't keep keep a prime Tyson at bay which is what he'd have to do to win the fight. Tyson was incredibly quick and elusive, and he was great at neutralizing taller fighters reach.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #18
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 1057
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Here's a post that I made in the Classic to a guy that said Tyson's chances decrease after 5 rounds:



[ Nah I totally disagree, from 1985 - 88,

Mike was great at boxing for 12 rounds and had the stamina for it (Tucker, Smith - its more strain on your stamina when a man is leaning all his weight on you and mauling you)

remember Mike very rarely lost a round and in the Tucker fight he was using his great boxing skill from the outside and picking off great shots at mid range.

P.S

I think if Berbick was more durable Mike would of put on a great textbook preformance for 12 rounds, that night nothing was rushed, very accurate combo, setups. people always talk about his ferociousness that night but never about the skill he showed.

That was the best he ever boxed, just wish it had been against a more formidable opponent ]



Tyson by 9 Rd Knockout, very competive fight
sugarsean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #19
Taylex
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,428
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Tyson in his prime beats anyone in a fantasy match-up. People only remember the bits where Tyson look unbeatable.
Taylex is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 1057
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylex View Post
Tyson in his prime beats anyone in a fantasy match-up. People only remember the bits where Tyson look unbeatable.
no thats not true,

I'd pick Holyfield to have always beat him, but I believe Mike would of beaten Lennox
sugarsean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #21
Tanner
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: "This guy'll kill ya to death, inside of three rounds."
Posts: 250
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Somebody should have the "cartoon" fight on the computer with the '88 Tyson and the '98 Lewis (or maybe the '01 Rahman-rematch one)...
Tanner is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #22
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Lewis had everything needed to beat Tyson.

The jab, the thunderous power, and the size and strength to tie him up.

Tyson would have to win on the inside, but he'd be the weaker man and be smothered. Lewis' jab would get more and more effective and Tyson slowed down, which he did in his fights that went longer distances, and then Mike would start having trouble.

Lewis' underrated chin gets him through scares, and he grinds out a tight win over 12, probably getting staggered several times early, but badly hurting Tyson in the 11th or 12th, ala Green but much more severe.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #23
exumspate
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: socal
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Lewis had trouble with straight rights as we saw with McCall, Rahman, Vitali, Ray Mercer, etc...Tyson had the best in the business....
exumspate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #24
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Korea via Manchester
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 1667
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Obviously Tyson could win. And if they fought ten times he would win some. People will look to Lewis' KO losses and think it proves he would lose to a big hitting, fast fighter. But that doesn't work. Even Lewis haters realise the Rahman fight was a pathetic, fat, complacent Lewis who was gassing by round 3.

His chin can take good shots, he did it against Rahman before the KO, he did it against Mercer, Briggs and Vitali.

The fact is that a fully focused and peak Lewis was everything that was wrong for Tyson. Great jab, good uppercut for when Tyson comes inside and sapping weight and strength in the clinch.

Tyson was awesome but how awesome is hard to really know. Most of the guys he destroyed were simply not top tier fighters. Holmes was hugely impressive despite Holmes' age, but I believe that Lewis would have fought to a UD. With some shaky moments sure, but able to hurt Tyson just like Tyson was hurt by Bruno, Holyfield, Douglas and definitely skilled enough and smart enough to frustrate him and slow him down.

I have no issue with people picking Tyson as I can see why, but the logic of "if McCall could land" is like saying "If Mitch Green went the distance"....Lewis would have jabbed him to death and fought best when he had a little respect and fear of the man before him.

He would have clinched when needed and been able to land with big rights when Tyson came in.

I would say Lewis UD. But if they fought ten times, maybe 6 to Lewis, 4 to Tyson.
Strike is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #25
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Impossible match-up.

Lewis would win thus making Tyson, by definition, shot.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #26
exumspate
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: socal
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike View Post
Obviously Tyson could win. And if they fought ten times he would win some. People will look to Lewis' KO losses and think it proves he would lose to a big hitting, fast fighter. But that doesn't work. Even Lewis haters realise the Rahman fight was a pathetic, fat, complacent Lewis who was gassing by round 3.

His chin can take good shots, he did it against Rahman before the KO, he did it against Mercer, Briggs and Vitali.

The fact is that a fully focused and peak Lewis was everything that was wrong for Tyson. Great jab, good uppercut for when Tyson comes inside and sapping weight and strength in the clinch.

Tyson was awesome but how awesome is hard to really know. Most of the guys he destroyed were simply not top tier fighters. Holmes was hugely impressive despite Holmes' age, but I believe that Lewis would have fought to a UD. With some shaky moments sure, but able to hurt Tyson just like Tyson was hurt by Bruno, Holyfield, Douglas and definitely skilled enough and smart enough to frustrate him and slow him down.

I have no issue with people picking Tyson as I can see why, but the logic of "if McCall could land" is like saying "If Mitch Green went the distance"....Lewis would have jabbed him to death and fought best when he had a little respect and fear of the man before him.

He would have clinched when needed and been able to land with big rights when Tyson came in.

I would say Lewis UD. But if they fought ten times, maybe 6 to Lewis, 4 to Tyson.
Lewis had a great chin no doubt (better than his 2 losses would indicate), but, he did have trouble with straight right hands throughout his career...McCall, Mercer and Vitali each nailed Lewis with it repeatedly, and Lewis trained for those fights...

Lewis was a great strategist and had great skills but, Tyson was a much better boxer than most think from seeing the shell that emerged from prison...He also had fast feet to go with his fast hands...

I really believe Tyson would win that fight but, I do note he had trouble with uppercuts (See Bonecrusher Smith 12th round, or Douglas) and Lewis had a great one...

It would be a hell of a fight...
exumspate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #27
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 5,287
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzo View Post
Impossible match-up.

Lewis would win thus making Tyson, by definition, shot.
how do you figure that?
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:58 AM   #28
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

But I will humour you.

Lewis at his best would take Tyson as seriously as a heart attack. He was a lazy fighter at times and when he was lazy he was catchable.

A focused Lewis does not panic, and I'd bet on him taking the centre of the ring from the start, smothering Tyson for the first 3 rounds by tying him up, going on to control the fight with the jab until Tyson got lazy and started to get caught with uppercuts.

Fight over.

Lewis wins by KO late.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #29
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
how do you figure that?

Because we have spastics on here who ask questions like this and take offense if you don't answer the question the way they like. We have guys so obsessed by the man that they will act as his E-Social worker: Tyson has all the problems in the world, is past his best at 22 ("FACT") and nobody else gets the shotness card.

C'mon guy. I'm sure you know what I am getting at.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:03 AM   #30
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 5,287
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Mike Tyson vs prime Lennox Lewis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzo View Post
But I will humour you.

Lewis at his best would take Tyson as seriously as a heart attack. He was a lazy fighter at times and when he was lazy he was catchable.

A focused Lewis does not panic, and I'd bet on him taking the centre of the ring from the start, smothering Tyson for the first 3 rounds by tying him up, going on to control the fight with the jab until Tyson got lazy and started to get caught with uppercuts.

Fight over.

Lewis wins by KO late.
its pretty childish saying "you'll humour me" when you're a 27k poster who lives on this site....but i'll humour you...

agree, lennox was a lazy fighter. he and roy jones had something in common, they fought when they felt like it.

and lewis would definitely have tried to tie up tyson in the early rounds and use his jab too.

but calling a fight from one corner doesn't make a result does it?

nobody in the world can say that a prime tyson can't KO anyone within 3 rounds, because boxing is like that.

it does take a great fighter to get past 3 with tyson, and someone like lennox or ali could do it - but it doesn't mean they would.
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013