Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

vCash: 2238
Default The Next de la Hoya/ Tyson/Holyfield Phenomenon?

All of the people mentioned in the title to my thread broke PPV records bringing Boxing into the mainstream in the USA. At least that is what is argued.

So my question really goes out to US posters.

Was the potential of these 3 ATGs to bring Boxing into the average American living room overrated?

And do you think there will ever be anyone who can ever bring boxing back into the American mainsteam? (If yes, who? And no Mayweather Pacquaio answers, as big as they are their time too seems to be reaching its twilight.)
LancsTerrible is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Next de la Hoya/ Tyson/Holyfield Phenomenon?

Boxing is an extremely individual sport, the vast majority of those huge audiences watched DLH and Tyson for the name value and the buzz, not for the sport. You could say that Holyfield was living off his wins over Tyson and Floyd and Pac definitely became PPV superstats on the back of DLH, and they are at the end of their careers. You can tell by the average ticket sales and ratings in the US that boxing did not become more popular despite some impressive PPV numbers.

It's about the names, and to become an attraction such as DLH or Mike, a fighter has to do something really special really early (DLH: Gold medal, bunch of world titles in the pros plus his story, Tyson: HW championship, crazy persona), and keep up the buzz inside and outside of the ring for years.

Frankly, I don't see a scenario where someone could become as big on his own, maybe on the back of Pac and Floyd and with a lot of charisma. Let's say, just for the argument, that Saul Alvarez becomes an elite fighter, he does have the looks and the charisma to become a superstar, especially if he learns English. Now he'd still have to beat Pacquiao and/or Mayweather to reach the absolute heighs and beat other household names, and for the average viewers, there aren't many. And even if Canelo becomes a PPV attraction or something like a CBS regular, it's still hardly gonna bring back boxing to the mainstream unless several others can become huge attractions as well plus the title and weight class mess is cleaned up. Promoters and organizations dag the grave too deep and ripped off the followers too bad to recover through a single or many phenomenons.
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
Boxing is an extremely individual sport, the vast majority of those huge audiences watched DLH and Tyson for the name value and the buzz, not for the sport. You could say that Holyfield was living off his wins over Tyson and Floyd and Pac definitely became PPV superstats on the back of DLH, and they are at the end of their careers. You can tell by the average ticket sales and ratings in the US that boxing did not become more popular despite some impressive PPV numbers.

It's about the names, and to become an attraction such as DLH or Mike, a fighter has to do something really special really early (DLH: Gold medal, bunch of world titles in the pros plus his story, Tyson: HW championship, crazy persona), and keep up the buzz inside and outside of the ring for years.

Frankly, I don't see a scenario where someone could become as big on his own, maybe on the back of Pac and Floyd and with a lot of charisma. Let's say, just for the argument, that Saul Alvarez becomes an elite fighter, he does have the looks and the charisma to become a superstar, especially if he learns English. Now he'd still have to beat Pacquiao and/or Mayweather to reach the absolute heighs and beat other household names, and for the average viewers, there aren't many. And even if Canelo becomes a PPV attraction or something like a CBS regular, it's still hardly gonna bring back boxing to the mainstream unless several others can become huge attractions as well plus the title and weight class mess is cleaned up. Promoters and organizations dag the grave too deep and ripped off the followers too bad to recover through a single or many phenomenons.
Thanks for the answer. Great insight and good example with someone like Alvarez.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancsTerrible View Post
Thanks for the answer. Great insight and good example with someone like Alvarez.
Frankie Gomez. He's Mexican and has a Mike Tysonesque style.
Leon is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Frankie Gomez. He's Mexican and has a Mike Tysonesque style.
I'll make sure I have a properly good look at him.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
stefanoitch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jose Benavidez Jr. He's 18 years old and holds the record of won 8 (KO 8 + lost 0 (KO 0)
stefanoitch is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Its going to have to be someone garners media attention outside the ring, has a face and personality for television and who is exciting in the ring.

They only athletes I can think of as popular as Tyson at his peak were/are Michael Jordan, Pac Man, Hulk Hogan, David Beckham and Shaq. Recognized, even by grandmas, the world over.

Mayweather isn't that big yet, but he is close thanks to Dancing with the Stars, being a wife beater, ducking pacman, etc..

Tyson was big because he was so devastating, and was a crazy man.

ODLH was not nearly as popular as Tyson, but was a name because he seemed like a good guy, performed well and had the father/son rags to riches story.

Holyfield, again nowhere near as popular as Tyson, was only mainstream because he was in the right place at the right time, performed well and had his ear chewed off.

As for current fighters... I think the Klitschko Bros could be if they played their cards right. They have an interesting story, Wlad is dating a well known American acrtress, Vitali is into politics, they are articulate, intelligent brothers who both hold PhD's and HW Titles. You don't see that every day. If they were American, they would be the biggest thing in sports over here...but they are not...so they are not.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Its going to have to be someone garners media attention outside the ring, has a face and personality for television and who is exciting in the ring.

They only athletes I can think of as popular as Tyson at his peak were/are Michael Jordan, Pac Man, Hulk Hogan, David Beckham and Shaq. Recognized, even by grandmas, the world over.

Mayweather isn't that big yet, but he is close thanks to Dancing with the Stars, being a wife beater, ducking pacman, etc..

Tyson was big because he was so devastating, and was a crazy man.

ODLH was not nearly as popular as Tyson, but was a name because he seemed like a good guy, performed well and had the father/son rags to riches story.

Holyfield, again nowhere near as popular as Tyson, was only mainstream because he was in the right place at the right time, performed well and had his ear chewed off.

As for current fighters... I think the Klitschko Bros could be if they played their cards right. They have an interesting story, Wlad is dating a well known American acrtress, Vitali is into politics, they are articulate, intelligent brothers who both hold PhD's and HW Titles. You don't see that every day. If they were American, they would be the biggest thing in sports over here...but they are not...so they are not.
I'm not going to dispute those point's but I would put two questions back at you and I'd be happy to hear you're responses.

Are they capable of it at their respective ages?

Is the USA capable of warming like that towards two foreigners?
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoitch View Post
Jose Benavidez Jr. He's 18 years old and holds the record of won 8 (KO 8 + lost 0 (KO 0)
I'll have a good look at him too.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru

gary lockett
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
gary lockett
Old 09-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

Quote:
I'll have a good look at him too.
That cholo Gomez whooped him like 3 times in the amateur games.
Leon is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That cholo Gomez whooped him like 3 times in the amateur games.
Some are already hyped up for their pro fight!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
Some are already hyped up for their pro fight!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Damn, they want to see Benavidez get knocked out that bad?
Leon is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm not going to dispute those point's but I would put two questions back at you and I'd be happy to hear you're responses.

Are they capable of it at their respective ages?

Is the USA capable of warming like that towards two foreigners?
Wlad is at a perfect age to carry on for another few years at least. Vitali is on his way out, so the novelty of the two brothers as champions won't last much longer.

I could see the US warming to a foreigner. They love Pac, Lennox was accepted and liked, and of course everyone loves David Beckham.

The thing about the US is that the public will embrace anyone portrayed positively in the media. They don't even have to be talented, just popular.

If Wlad could get onto some mainstream US publicity machine and be a friendly, handsome charming guy...I think he could be popular.

Tyson popular? Michael Jordan popular? Pre-divorce Tiger Woods popular? Probably not, but who knows. Everyone loves Taylor Swift and she can't carry a tune in a bucket.
Slacker is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum