Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Juan Manuel Marquez: Great fighter or All-Time Great fighter?
Yes, I consider him to be an ATG 35 53.85%
No, he's just very good. 30 46.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #196
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do you consider Juan Manuel Marquez to be an ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Of course JMM is an ATG, he has faced some of the best of his time with more wins than losses & is a 3 weight world champion - 1 of only 4 from Mexico (Chavez, Morales, Barrera)

I wouldnt rank him as high as those 3 but those 3 are easily & undisputedly ATGs so that doesnt matter.... he`s quite close to Erik & Marco tho.
If that's your definition of an ATG, then boxing history probably has thousands upon thousands of "all-time greats".

Also, Iran Barkley is a 3-weight world champ. That doesn't mean much now in the alphabet era.
Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #197
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Terrific fighter,yes.But ATG,no as I believe he's a notch below MAB and Terrible.
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #198
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

I think JMM is every bit as good as a prime Morales and a prime Barrera but never had the opportunities to prove it that they did. People always talk how Judah never achieved his full potential but I think if there's anyone who didn't achieve his full potential, its JMM.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #199
haglerwon
Official GTMSBT Marquez
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1002

haglerwon is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #200
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by haglerwon View Post

I notice you didn't even vote. ...Interesting.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #201
haglerwon
Official GTMSBT Marquez
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I notice you didn't even vote. ...Interesting.
Neither did you.

My answer's back on page 2 ... or 3 ... or 4 ... feck it ... I don't know what you've got the board display set to.

One of the reasons I didn't vote is that judgements frequently change in light of new information.
haglerwon is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #202
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Oh hell yeah
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 02:17 AM   #203
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

I don't think he's done quite enough yet, but it's not out of the question if he can get a few more really good wins. Obviously, if he could beat Pac cleanly in a third fight, that'd help his cause tremendously. If he were to move up and beat the Bradley-Alexander winner, then follow up with beating Pac, that may well be enough for me to give him the nod. It's a resume thing more than a skill one at this point, because I love watching him fight and think he's one of the best counterpunchers I've ever seen, for the two cents that's worth lol.
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #204
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

It is hard to define " All Time Great ", for me.
But I have never seen a 37 year old fighter BETTER than last night, NEVER...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #205
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

ATG through and through and its a pleasure to watch such greatness in the flesh. Those combinations were so precise, compact, fast. I also think Marquez's right hand was damaged in the first round, he didnt throw it at all in the second and he seemed to pull his right hands after that making it all the better a win

Katsidis and Diaz were both limited, but they were both much bigger/stronger, tough as nails pressure fighters with massive workrates and power who were rightfully top3 fighters in the division when . Marquez cleaned out 126 fighting all the tricky opponents no one wanted to face (well anyone at 126 who'd actually fight him), fought ATGs at 130, deserved to beat the 'fighter of the decade' at least once, beat the best champions and contenders in his 3rd division knocking them all out in brutal fashion. What more do you want from an ATG
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #206
Meast

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
It is hard to define " All Time Great ", for me.
But I have never seen a 37 year old fighter BETTER than last night, NEVER...
Yeah he was amazing last night

I think he's borderline ATG and an absolute pleasure to watch.
Meast is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #207
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast View Post
Yeah he was amazing last night

I think he's borderline ATG and an absolute pleasure to watch.
It entertains me to no end to see a guy dare to throw a one-two combo compromised of a right uppercut and a left uppercut that both land flush as hell on the chin. Then I get to sit there and go "What?" He may have the best uppercut in the sport right now. Cracking. I felt bad for Katsidis though. I wonder if his time will ever come. He's come up short against two old crafty veterans and one young ex-champ but I still have that hope for him that he at least gets an abc title attached to his name by the time he hangs 'em up.

Edit: "Compromised" No, I'm not tired at all. Loooong night. Comprised, I meant.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #208
turk182
not newbie
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
He's an ATG, avoided for years, his fans argue hes unbeaten in 17years from 126lb-135lbs (although Norwood certainly beat him imo), 3 weight champion fighting the best in each division, fighting tough contenders aswell as established champions. Now he's 37 and still lineal champion in his 3rd weight class

Lets not forget only 2 years ago half of the fans rated him above Pacquaio
barrera was never lineal SFW champ. the lineal championship @130 was vacant since floyd. a new lineage was established when #1 (pac) and #2 (jmm) fought for it in their 2nd fight. pac won and became the new lineal champ @130. pac vacated it when he went up and there has been no lineal champ @130 ever since.

barrera was lineal at featherweight when pac beat him the first time. that's why pac is also lineal @126.

jmm did become lineal @135 after defeating casa. but casa clearly lost to sta. cruz before his fight w/ jmm.

as for jmm being an ATG, if your ATG list extends to the 90s, then he can be one. but being an ATG means being the best of the best. that means the ATG list should be limited to the top 40 or 50 at most. if this is the case, then jmm still doesn't qualify as an ATG.

as for the poll, there should have been a choice for him being great but still not an ATG.

Last edited by turk182; 11-28-2010 at 01:00 PM.
turk182 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #209
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

I know Katsidis isn't great and either is Diaz but they were damn good and tough tests for JMM and he passed with flying colors overcoming their pressure and eventually getting a KO/TKO victory over both. Hard not to call him an ATG but I feel you shouldn't limit the ATG list and if someone deserves to be an ATG, they shouldn't be subjected to be denied just because the ATG list is growing too much for people's taste. He's a great fighter and he looked very sharp putting on one of the many displays of great combo-punching in his career. One of the best "old-men" currently fighting along with Hopkins.
techks is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #210
turk182
not newbie
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
I know Katsidis isn't great and either is Diaz but they were damn good and tough tests for JMM and he passed with flying colors overcoming their pressure and eventually getting a KO/TKO victory over both. Hard not to call him an ATG but I feel you shouldn't limit the ATG list and if someone deserves to be an ATG, they shouldn't be subjected to be denied just because the ATG list is growing too much for people's taste. He's a great fighter and he looked very sharp putting on one of the many displays of great combo-punching in his career. One of the best "old-men" currently fighting along with Hopkins.
i dunno. elite p4p fighters who are considered as ATGs shouldn't have competitive fights w/ b-level guys. they should dominate/dismantle/school and then stop them. jmm had very close fights w/ casa, diaz 1 and katsidis until he stopped them. all of these guys even manage to KD him in those fights.

he certainly is a great fighter but i don't think he's an ATG.
turk182 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum