Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 AM   #16
RJD88
The Icon
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2492
Default Re: If Hopkins fought in 87-95 he would be a afterthought when talked about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
I agree with all of what you said there except about him respecting the sport. He does in terms of it's history and the craft but he is far from what i'd call an honorable fighter. He's dirty, ugly, and put on some disgraceful antics. Jones Hopkins II being about as pitiful and pathetic as the sport can possibly get.
I apologise for the misunderstanding, I meant that he always turns up in shape and is ready to go, never got fat and fought in Heavy because he didnt want to train like Toney for example. BHop always comes in good condition, therefore you can respect him as a fighter and understand his ability to continue at the highest level is down to bloody hard work. Something that alot of other fighters these days could learn from him. I agree with you about the style of fighting, spoiling isn't for me but it allows Bhop to compete with the more naturally gifted and I guess to him, if it works and he doesn't get caught? You know what I mean lol
RJD88 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #17
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488
Default Re: If Hopkins fought in 87-95 he would be a afterthought when talked about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
This is to illustrate the absudity of the other thread saying that Hopkins would destroy Hagler etc. Had Hopkins been at the top of the MW division between 1987-1995 he certianly wouldn't be top 3, perhaps not even top 5 from that era. It was a very talent rich era and we would have recieved a much more honest assessment of Hopkins skill level which is insanely inflated . People saying he's an ATG and comparing him other ATG MW's is crazyness in my opinion.

Jones, Toney, Mcclellan, Nunn all own him

Mcclallum, Benn beating him is likely

Jackson, Eubank, Collins, Kalambay, Watson - would favour Hopkins but a loss is certianly not out of the question

who else am i forgetting?

Point is that had Hopkins come along 5 years earlier (the length of his prison time ironically) he would maybe be the 5th best from that era. The way some Americans rate him now a days blows my mind.
Hopkins in his earlier days was a beast, he faught a lot more aggresivly, to simply dismiss him because his era didn't have Benns and Eubanks is ridiculous.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScRv9xzLeW8[/ame]
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #18
T-smooth
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
I dont think that James Toney could own Hopkins, not in the slightest. It would be competetive but nobody would be owning anyone that night, and if anything id be tipping Hopkins ring IQ to figure Toney out and do what it takes to win the fight prime for prime.
Hopkins would whoop james toneys ass!!! James is good and all but seriously he barely could get through montelle griffin(some people believed he lost both times). Ive seen hops early fights and that guy was one of the greatest fighters ive ever seen and i actually thought hops lost to roy but punished roy alot in that fight but i cant say the same for toney. Toney was EMBARRASSED badly!!! Toney hops would be a good fight but hops will by the later rounds start punishing toney pretty bad 16-112 hops
T-smooth is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #19
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I'll take Hopkins over everyone on your list except Jones. Many good fights, but no one on the list goes in as the favourite except Jones against Hopkins.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnoff View Post
I'll take Hopkins over everyone on your list except Jones. Many good fights, but no one on the list goes in as the favourite except Jones against Hopkins.
This ^
Arcane is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum