Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 PM   #31
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 2811
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand

I think you overstate how detrimental that the F I R S T loss on Ibragimov's career would be, in order to justify his unwillingness to fight Klitschko.

He's only 32, and is undefeated, but if he takes his first loss to whom is considered the best heavyweight currently fighting, then his career is pretty much, over.....

Talk about grasping at straws! WOW, that is rich!
Exactly, a 1st loss to the consensus #1 HW in the world wouldn't be the end of his career at all, in fact I think he'd gain fans for a valiant effort that may even warrant a rematch somewhere down the line.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 PM   #32
Caliboxing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSKULL
Apparently HBO doesn't have enough money left for another Klitschko fight before the year's end. This is why they left a February date open.

So it's HBO's fault that Klitschko fights only twice a year.
Caliboxing is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2007, 09:53 PM   #33
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Apparently HBO doesn't have enough money left for another Klitschko fight before the year's end. This is why they left a February date open.
After Chagaev reportedly had intestinal trouble that was bad enough to cancel the planned Ibrag Chag unification (not merely delay it, but cancel it, altogether) , I doubt Chagaev would even entertain the idea of fighting such a hard opponent as Wlad on his first fight after his illness. (Personally, I doubt he was ill enough to cancel the fight, but that's another thread)

It's all up to Ibragimov, at this point. The guy that says he wants to, and that his goal is to unfiy the titles..............
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 PM   #34
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Quote:
Exactly, a 1st loss to the consensus #1 HW in the world wouldn't be the end of his career at all, in fact I think he'd gain fans for a valiant effort that may even warrant a rematch somewhere down the line.
Of course it would. Not be over perhaps, but severely dented anyway. Valiant efforts mean **** all. And if he did put up a valiant (almost winning) effort do you think Wlads team would encourage a rematch??? Of course they wouldn't, they'd be mad to.

His reputation is what?

Beat Briggs for the title in an uninspiring fight? so what, Briggs is shit.
Beat a 45 yr old Holy, in a largely uninspiring fight. I agree with his tactics, but hardly makes him 'must see' for his next fight.

And his belt? The reasonably worthless WBO.

That my man, is hardly the stuff of someone that would have massive earning power after a (potentially crushing) loss.

Iggy would then be at the back of long line of guys of similar status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskull
You're a liar & you can kiss my ass!

Wladimir's only questionable defense was against his MANDATORY, Austin who was given that bogus ranking by DON KING. Pay attenion asshole.

Brock was a voluntary defense, against an undefeated fighter in his prime, and Klitschko destroyed him.

Brewster was a revenge match since no other beltholder was able to unify due to previously arranged matches as well as mandatory defenses. Klitschko destroyed him also.
Good to see you can discuss this rationally and reasonably.

Wlads defences?

Brock. Undefeated fighter. True. Not a terrible defence, but Brocks resume is hardly littered with glory is it? Not a bad voluntary though, I'll give him that.

Austin. Woeful regardless of mandatory or not.

Brewster. His first fight, almost 18 months after getting brutalised. Detached retina, first fight back after a long layoff. Revenge, yes. Brewster chances of winning that fight? About 1 in a 100.

Are you telling me that at this point in their careers that Wlad HASN'T had a lot more lucrative paydays???

Boxing is a business. And Iggy could make more money fighting stiffs for his belt for at least 2 or 3 defences, and building up a fight with Wlad, than jumping into it now after 1.

Of course, if he loses to Thomson its all out the window.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 PM   #35
Langford
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

like him or not, but this is exactly the reason why Povetkin commands respect.
After winning the tournament, I find it very unlikely that he would say "no, just kidding, I am not going to fight him"

Even though Povetkin backing out would be much more understandable than Ibragimov. Comes down to balls.

Wlad has fought the fighters that have been willing to fight him. I would like to see him fight more, if the big fights don't happen, just fight someone fairly respectable and keep the title active. He might not get to ever unify, at least he would establish volume. Worked well enough for Holmes.
Langford is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #36
kostya by ko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langford
like him or not, but this is exactly the reason why Povetkin commands respect.
After winning the tournament, I find it very unlikely that he would say "no, just kidding, I am not going to fight him"

Even though Povetkin backing out would be much more understandable than Ibragimov. Comes down to balls.

Wlad has fought the fighters that have been willing to fight him. I would like to see him fight more, if the big fights don't happen, just fight someone fairly respectable and keep the title active. He might not get to ever unify, at least he would establish volume. Worked well enough for Holmes.
I have to agree with this. And keep publically calling out
the other beltholders so the public know he's there and waiting.
Wlad where he is now only has a limited window of opportunity
to put in place a legacy.
kostya by ko is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #37
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Just because a fighter makes an offer, the other one doesn't have to automatically accept it you know.

Briggs called out Wlad numerous times. Wlad didn't fight him - does that mean Wlad was avoiding unification then, or just avoiding Briggs?

Or are others held to different standards to Wlad?

(Again - don't get me wrong. I want unification - I think Wlad is the best beltholder - but I don't believe somebody should jump at the first contract offered to them by Wlad - when he doesn't do the same in reverse).
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #38
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Ibragimov has lost his champion crediblity, if he refuses this fight, as far as I'm concerned. This is lame, period.

And I can't help but laugh out loud at Sandman's lenthy post up above a bit. He did admit that he was off base saying Ibrag's career would be over, but then he tosses what he's gained out the window and goes back into detail to try and justify Ibrag's actoins in this whole fiasco.

And of course Sandman has to get his usual digs in on Klit, which is expected......But regardless of how these biased guys try their best to spin it and put Klitschko in a bad light, I think this Ibragimvo fiasco further proves what we all already know;.............Wlad is not only the best heavy fighting today, he's also the most feared heavy fighting today. Ibrag don't want none of him, and although Briggs was running his mouth about saying he wanted Klit, little did Briggs know that behind the scenes, King had already received a fight offer from the Klit camp, and King refused it..................LOL Sweet!

(ahem)

Anyway............Ibragimov has not yet refused the fight, and he may still accept it. But, I think he's too scared of getting his titel taken away to risk the fight, in spite of the bold statements he says to the press about wanting to unfiy...........I hope he proves me wrong.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #39
diamondDave
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2025

If you don't want to fight just say you don't want to fight. Sultan is not coming off of a brutal fight with Holyfield...I have seen sparring sessions that were more brutal!

Four months is plenty of time to recover. Unless Sultan wants to relax and get fat for a month before he starts training again.
diamondDave is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #40
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

As I said before Iggy's manager is not that dumb to put him in against Wlad, Iggy is by far the weakest title holder. Iggy has nothing in his arsenal to beat Wlad, he got average power and chin, who is not a pressure fighter at all anymore.

Iggy is doing the right thing by not fighting Wlad, its really bad style match up for him IMO. If he doesnt have to fight Wlad, he shouldnt.

Last edited by Punisher33; 11-01-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #41
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
As I said before Iggy's manager is not that dumb to put him in against Wlad, Wlad is by far the weakest title holder. Iggy has nothing in his arsenal to beat Wlad, he got average power and chin, who is not a pressure fighter at all anymore.

Iggy is doing the right thing by not fighting Wlad, its really bad style match up for him IMO. If he doesnt have to fight Wlad, he shouldnt.
Then when he says that his goal is to unify the titles, shouldn't he also add a footnote, and say; but I mean that I will only take unifying fights I think I can win?

Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #42
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand
Then when he says that his goal is to unify the titles, shouldn't he also add a footnote, and say; but I mean that I will only take unifying fights I think I can win?

I dont agree with what he said, I just think he should look out for whats best for him and a fight with Wlad isnt. If he wanted a pay day like Brewster then take the fight by all means, but Iggy is a title holder who has alot to lose if Wlad would destroy him in the ring.

I want unification as well, but if it means another walk through match for Wlad, no thanks. I think Wlad should just look for a match that might make the fans happy, Im sure Tua or Golota would take a match with Wlad if offered.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #43
Irländsk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

How the **** can this guy call himself a champion if he is not willing to fight Wlad? This is exactly why unification is so important, so there is only one man to beat before you can rightfully delare yourself a champion, then it is simple if you want a shot at being the best, you fight him, if you are too scared, fair enough, but there won't be the option of becoming a champion by taking another fight with a less skilled belt holder.
Irländsk is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #44
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irländsk
How the **** can this guy call himself a champion if he is not willing to fight Wlad? This is exactly why unification is so important, so there is only one man to beat before you can rightfully delare yourself a champion, then it is simple if you want a shot at being the best, you fight him, if you are too scared, fair enough, but there won't be the option of becoming a champion by taking another fight with a less skilled belt holder.

Bravo.

I was going to reply to Punisher, but you did it so well.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #45
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Yeah, but wouldnt it suck if Wlad pulled a Vitali and backed out of fights and held the titles at bay. Remember when Vitali kept backing out of the Rahman fight, he held on to the title for over a year until the WBC made him give up the belt and he ended up retiring.

If every knows who the champ is, whats unification going to do, tell us what we already know? I would much rather see good heavyweight matches instead, I would much rather see Golota/Wlad or Wlad/Tua more than I would Wlad/Iggy.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum