Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #46
Irländsk
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
Yeah, but wouldnt it suck if Wlad pulled a Vitali and backed out of fights and held the titles at bay. Remember when Vitali kept backing out of the Rahman fight, he held on to the title for over a year until the WBC made him give up the belt and he ended up retiring.

If every knows who the champ is, whats unification going to do, tell us what we already know? I would much rather see good heavyweight matches instead, I would much rather see Golota/Wlad or Wlad/Tua more than I would Wlad/Iggy.
Unification would give us the best fights possible because no one could avoid the toughest title holder to take an easier road to another belt. And who wants to see Wlad Golota? If McBride rocked Andrew whats gonna happen when Wlad catches him cold? Early night for Golota. Tua might be more interesting but he has to earn a shot by fighting someone with a pulse, and even then he only has a puncher's chance of beating Klitschko. And yet another plus of unification is you would probably see the retirement of these 45year olds who keep hanging around waiting for a shot at one of the belts against the weakest champion. If their only option was Wlad they would probably say **** it and finally hang em up.
Irländsk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #47
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,609
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irländsk
Unification would give us the best fights possible because no one could avoid the toughest title holder to take an easier road to another belt. And who wants to see Wlad Golota? If McBride rocked Andrew whats gonna happen when Wlad catches him cold? Early night for Golota. Tua might be more interesting but he has to earn a shot by fighting someone with a pulse, and even then he only has a puncher's chance of beating Klitschko. And yet another plus of unification is you would probably see the retirement of these 45year olds who keep hanging around waiting for a shot at one of the belts against the weakest champion. If their only option was Wlad they would probably say **** it and finally hang em up.
I dont think Holyfield will retire until hes ready, but as far as some of the other 40 plus fighter still fighting, most if not all need to go. I want to see the best fights possible, unification is secondary for me. I would however like to see Chagaev/Wlad which would be not only exciting to watch, but also a form of unification as well.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #48
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,609
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtech2k
Agreed but Wlad would destroy Chagaev. I have watched a lot of Chagaev footage from old fights on the net and nothing I have seen impresses me. The "White tyson" nickname is humorous. I think he is soft and I think he does not have any outstanding qualities to discuss. I think he is average across the board.
That may or may not be true, but he is undefeated with his last big win over a undefeated giant Valuev. I honestly feel that Chagaev has a real chance of giving Wlad trouble, what I seen against Valuev was very impressive.

I just want to see exciting matches in the heavyweight divsion, win or lose I feel a Chagaev fighting Wlad would be exciting to me and most people who want to see heavyweight boxing at its best.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #49
mh2365
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Difference is Valuev flicked his jab ... Wlad drives his ... I like Ruslan but I really don't see how he gets inside Wlad's jab.

edit ... and oh yeah Iggy is a ***** LOL
mh2365 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #50
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
I want to see the best fights possible, unification is secondary for me. .
And therein lies the problem.

You are thinking short term. Make that, VERY short term.

The rest of us, almost all of which, want unification are thinking past the nose on the end of our face. We are thinking long term. And not even long, make that, medium term, cause the start of unificatoin would see benefits almost right away....................We want to see clarity in the division and will gladly sit through a quick KO of Ibragimov if the LONG TERM effect of it is to start to clean up the division of all of these seperate and meaningless titles that :

-causes the term champion to mean nothing, cause there are so many of them

-allows almost anyone in the top twenty to become a mandatory for a title

-dillutes the division so much so that general boxing fans lose interst, and thereby, weakens the entire sport, as the heavies is supposed to be the flagship division

-greatly reduces the quality of fights that you seem to push for, because the best contenders are not fighting each other for a shot at a title, they are strewn out over four seperate organizations.

To name a few. But you can't seem to realize this.


But, so be it. If you would rather see ONE single fight that you preceive to be competitive, over a unification fight that would start to bring the entire division back to clarity and help get it back on its feet, once agian..............you are entitled to your opinion. But I certianly can't understand it, no matter how hard I try.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #51
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,609
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand
And therein lies the problem.

You are thinking short term. Make that, VERY short term.

The rest of us, almost all of which, want unification are thinking past the nose on the end of our face. We are thinking long term. And not even long, make that, medium term, cause the start of unificatoin would see benefits almost right away....................We want to see clarity in the division and will gladly sit through a quick KO of Ibragimov if the LONG TERM effect of it is to start to clean up the division of all of these seperate and meaningless titles that :

-causes the term champion to mean nothing, cause there are so many of them

-allows almost anyone in the top twenty to become a mandatory for a title

-dillutes the division so much so that general boxing fans lose interst, and thereby, weakens the entire sport, as the heavies is supposed to be the flagship division

-greatly reduces the quality of fights that you seem to push for, because the best contenders are not fighting each other for a shot at a title, they are strewn out over four seperate organizations.

To name a few. But you can't seem to realize this.


But, so be it. If you would rather see ONE single fight that you preceive to be competitive, over a unification fight that would start to bring the entire division back to clarity and help get it back on its feet, once agian..............you are entitled to your opinion. But I certianly can't understand it, no matter how hard I try.
Yeah, but anybody that has watched the heavyweight division knows Wlads the man in the heavyweight division. As I said before Vitali was the WBC title holder and was very popular and known as champ of the divsion, he was the type of heavyweight everyone wanted to see fight. I dont see Wlad being the heavyweight people want, his fighting style is not really that exciting anymore to watch IMO.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #52
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Long Island, New York & Clayton, North Carolina
Posts: 15,176
vCash: 2811
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman
Just because a fighter makes an offer, the other one doesn't have to automatically accept it you know.

Briggs called out Wlad numerous times. Wlad didn't fight him - does that mean Wlad was avoiding unification then, or just avoiding Briggs?

Or are others held to different standards to Wlad?


(Again - don't get me wrong. I want unification - I think Wlad is the best beltholder - but I don't believe somebody should jump at the first contract offered to them by Wlad - when he doesn't do the same in reverse).
Briggs was calling out Wlad when Shannon had nothing to offer but his "name" as he didn't win the WBO title yet.

As far as Austin being such a terrible opponent consider that he fought Sultan to a draw and Sultan is the current WBO champ. He also hadn't lost a fight in like 6 years. Austin is only considered lowly because Wlad dispatched him so easily and you know it too.

Brock was a good choice of opponent.

Byrd was a good choice since he had the ****in' belt that Wlad wanted & earned by beating Peter.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #53
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Long Island, New York & Clayton, North Carolina
Posts: 15,176
vCash: 2811
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
I dont agree with what he said, I just think he should look out for whats best for him and a fight with Wlad isnt. If he wanted a pay day like Brewster then take the fight by all means, but Iggy is a title holder who has alot to lose if Wlad would destroy him in the ring.

I want unification as well, but if it means another walk through match for Wlad, no thanks. I think Wlad should just look for a match that might make the fans happy, Im sure Tua or Golota would take a match with Wlad if offered.
Can you just imagine the outcry here if Wlad announced that he was going to fight Golota or Tua next? Be serious! Neither one has beaten anyone recently to justify that choice.

I think you're just cherry picking Wlad's next opponent based on their chances to defeat him in your eyes. It's the same reasoning that the haters want Wlad vs. Peter II so badly, because they're convinced that Samuel has a better chance than fighters who actually deserve it. Admit it already. I bet you would love to see Wlad fight McCall too huh? Even though Oliver was just beaten by Gomez. I would rather see Wlad vs. Gomez since he won vs. McCall.............................
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #54
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Long Island, New York & Clayton, North Carolina
Posts: 15,176
vCash: 2811
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
Yeah, but anybody that has watched the heavyweight division knows Wlads the man in the heavyweight division. As I said before Vitali was the WBC title holder and was very popular and known as champ of the divsion, he was the type of heavyweight everyone wanted to see fight. I dont see Wlad being the heavyweight people want, his fighting style is not really that exciting anymore to watch IMO.
I would much rather watch a Wladimir fight with his skills & power rather than a Tua or Peter fight with their plodding, sloppy styles just looking for the big punch to land so they can get paid & go home.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #55
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
I dont see Wlad being the heavyweight people want, his fighting style is not really that exciting anymore to watch IMO.
His fights with Byrd, Brock, and Peter were not exciting to you?

I can't see how anyone who enjoys boxing wouldn't enjoy seeing the destruction Wlad's shots are capable of. Brock was cold before he hit the man. Personally, that is what heavyweight boxing all about; a brutal display of power. The Peter fight was also very exiting, and as I recall, did huge numbers......so your assessment of Wlad not being the fighter people want to see seems to be incorrect. I think Klit is far and away, the most popular of the heavyweights, and this is with all four titles seperate. Think what could be if all titles were with one fighter.

Agian, unification is the key.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #56
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,609
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSKULL
Can you just imagine the outcry here if Wlad announced that he was going to fight Golota or Tua next? Be serious! Neither one has beaten anyone recently to justify that choice.

I think you're just cherry picking Wlad's next opponent based on their chances to defeat him in your eyes. It's the same reasoning that the haters want Wlad vs. Peter II so badly, because they're convinced that Samuel has a better chance than fighters who actually deserve it. Admit it already. I bet you would love to see Wlad fight McCall too huh? Even though Oliver was just beaten by Gomez. I would rather see Wlad vs. Gomez since he won vs. McCall.............................
I want to see a competitive fight, you just want to see Wlad dominate his oppenents. The heavyweight division needs better matchups, and you know that. In your opinion what was a better match Wlad/Peter or Brock/Wlad, I feel the best matches are the ones where there competitive and that give the fans what they pay to see.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #57
Chayxana
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtech2k
Agreed but Wlad would destroy Chagaev. I have watched a lot of Chagaev footage from old fights on the net and nothing I have seen impresses me. The "White tyson" nickname is humorous. I think he is soft and I think he does not have any outstanding qualities to discuss. I think he is average across the board.
I am not so agree with you. Chagaev is one of those few boxers who may give a BIG trouble to Wowa.
Chayxana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #58
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,609
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand
His fights with Byrd, Brock, and Peter were not exciting to you?

I can't see how anyone who enjoys boxing wouldn't enjoy seeing the destruction Wlad's shots are capable of. Brock was cold before he hit the man. Personally, that is what heavyweight boxing all about; a brutal display of power. The Peter fight was also very exiting, and as I recall, did huge numbers......so your assessment of Wlad not being the fighter people want to see seems to be incorrect. I think Klit is far and away, the most popular of the heavyweights, and this is with all four titles seperate. Think what could be if all titles were with one fighter.

Agian, unification is the key.
The Peter fight was exciting, but his last couple matches were pretty boring or too one sidded for me. I honestly think Wlads new style lost him some fans, his fights really dont start to get interesting until he starts opening up in the middle rounds. Im sorry I dont like watching someone just throwing jabs for 5 or 6 rounds, but I think I blame his oppenents more than Wlad lately.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #59
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

So are you saying that Wlad should forget the Ibragimov unifcation fight, and all the benefits of working towards a single, unified champion would entail........forget that for the sake of seeing Wlad fight some like Tua, who has not earned squat and hasn't even fought a top 25 opponent in years.........or Golota, who has only beaten McBride at this point?

You are saying he should forget the unifying fight, which would be with an undefeated titleholder, in favor of fighting these other fighters who deserve abolutlely nothing, and are even worse and much less deserving than the opponents you were just criticizing........(Brock, Brewster, Byrd, and Austin). No offense, but this is crazy!!!

With each progressive post, you seem to make less and less sense, and create even more confusion by contradicting what you, yourself, say you would like to see.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #60
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopes of Ibragimov Klitschko unification fight starting to slip

I said right away that this fight wouldn't come off for one reason or another, but was that really the best excuse Ibragimov's management could come up with? It just makes it so transparent that they're afraid to put their man in with Wlad that it sounds like something they made up on the spot.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013