Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
Panthers89
Mr. Big Dreams
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: 6 foot 1" vs 6 foot 10" (HELP)!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
Exactly. You should focus on improving your footwork and head movement while he'll undoubtedly be working to sharpen his jab.
exactly, Sparring=Learning Match=Test
Panthers89 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2010, 04:25 AM   #17
G_Hoppa

He didn't say "beat up". He said beat. Every time i sparred, i always tried to get the best of my opponent, and beat him, in other words, win. There is a difference between winning and inflicting damage.
G_Hoppa is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 AM   #18
Onepunch
Prestigeous clincher
ESB Full Member

if you are focused on winning in sparring instead of workign on the technical aspects of your game you are holding yourself back.

How are you going to improve on head movement, footwork or aggression if you're afraid that getting hit a few more times means you lost?
Onepunch is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 AM   #19
stocks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepunch View Post
if you are focused on winning in sparring instead of workign on the technical aspects of your game you are holding yourself back.

How are you going to improve on head movement, footwork or aggression if you're afraid that getting hit a few more times means you lost?
Ok what i mean is:

I dont want to knock the guy out! i would love advice on techniques to out box some body this tall, for example he does very well against a simple jab would you say working the body on some one this tall would be the best idea? or as im a southpaw look to get a few right hooks in there?

Thanks
stocks is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #20
krisby

vCash: 1000

6'10 and only 83kg!!! How skinny is this guy?

As you're a southpaw you should look at getting the left cross into the solarplexes. It should be an easy target against someone of that height
krisby is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #21
stocks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 212

If your british he looks like peter crouch hahahahahaha.
but french
stocks is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
D Berns
Contender
ESB Senior Member

just look at alot of short heavyweights.

tyson, frazier, tua

watch their vids

shit um watch a recent one haye vs valuev
D Berns is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Haha! I don't feel bad for you at all, you tall people gotta learn your lesson
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #24
rongee90
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

step on his left foot with your right foot, then hit him low with a straight left to the balls! head will drop, right/left uppercut, right hook, Left bolo punch then get the hell out of there!!...don't forget to kick him in the shins on the way out!
rongee90 is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #25
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocks View Post
Why do you think they would put me with a guy this tall? im sure most guys i would fight would not be this tall i struggle to see what i could learn from sparring with him instead of a guy my own hight.
You will benefit from fighting people of all different styles. Should you come across a guy who's 6'10" in a competitive fight, you will be thankful for this sparring experience.

Not that it sounds like you are going to put it to good use, because you are talking about beating him. There are no winners and no losers in sparring. It is purely for you to learn. So I suggest you do just that; learn from it, no matter whether you hold your own or get a one-sided beating.

Having said that, how you approach fighting him would depend an awful lot of both of your attributes and styles. I would imagine that at his height he will try to be imposing his reach on the backfoot. If he does, then make yourself a smaller target, make him bend at the waist and lean-down with his punches, keep your hands up, move your head and try and worm your way inside.

If he tries to impose his size on you and wants to go to close quarters, then box him like Haye did Valuev or Pascal did Dawson. Move around the ring, keep him off balance, slip in and out of range and get your punches off first, shift your feet and move then back out of range and keep him cluelessly following you around the ring.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #26
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
There are no winners and no losers in sparring. It is purely for you to learn.
In theory I agree but in reality there's always some ego and that's not a bad thing. It makes you want to improve if you don't get the best of it in sparring. I have two people that I spar with often, and we do actually compete a little. Of course it's all friendly and we tell each other our gameplans and give advice, but "winning" does play a role.

The primary goal is improving your game. But if I get punched around the ring I will analyse why that happened and come back stronger next time. If the roles are reversed next time he'll have something to think about and improve as well. That way both get better over time.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #27
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
In theory I agree but in reality there's always some ego and that's not a bad thing. It makes you want to improve if you don't get the best of it in sparring. I have two people that I spar with often, and we do actually compete a little. Of course it's all friendly and we tell each other our gameplans and give advice, but "winning" does play a role.

The primary goal is improving your game. But if I get punched around the ring I will analyse why that happened and come back stronger next time. If the roles are reversed next time he'll have something to think about and improve as well. That way both get better over time.
True.

How's your retina? Has it healed up yet?
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #28
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
True.

How's your retina? Has it healed up yet?
It's not the retina but the cornea. Anyway not really, it's still ****ed. But the whole event got cancelled so I'm not fighting next Saturday. Next fight will be November 5/6th in Germany. My cornea will be fine by then, I'm fighting no matter what.
RDJ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing