Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Britsh Boxing venues & fans............Best atmospheres in world boxing....?????

From my own experiences & that of friends of mine who have watched fights in the US the buzz created at UK venues is unmatched ........ Why is this.......???...........Im not having a go at any nations support for there boxers as I have seen some latino supporters raise the roof a bit but why cant a nation like the US generate the same kind of atmosphere at their venues as a crowd say in Manchester ....... ????
My mate got back yesterday from Hatton V Castillo and although he said that the abuse directed at mexican fans by the Brit contingent was out of order the sheer volume & presence of the UK fans was unbelievable..............As I have posted on another thread I have watched amature bouts in shitty little working mans clubs in the welsh mining valleys & the crowd have been electric.......I mean to the point where they made the fansbase at FM V DLH look like a librariens convention....... .....................I have been to low profile pro fights in Bethnal Green & it really is goosebump material.........I think its down to passion..........Are us brits more passionate supporters when it comes to boxing.......I dont know but we are certainly more vocal & it must be pretty intimidating on times.............If Hatton fought any top name now at Wembley it would be sold out............Is there ANY fighter anywhere in the world now that could do that..........JC against a big name could run it close I suppose...........I really am intrigued at why the british working classes embrace boxing the way they do as a pose to their American counterparts...................Its not just our own fighters either.............Johnny Tapia for example was given the most amazing reception when he fought here............One that he has commented on since..............Maybe us Brits just identify with the hard working class fighters more.......I dont know.........What do you fellas think...???
Taffyy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Danny Ocean
My nAmE IS MoNeY
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Britsh Boxing venues & fans............Best atmospheres in world boxing....?????

depends

the atmosphere at pbf-oscar was pretty good, the noise was loud when dlh done somethin and pbf was booed alot

british fans dont have many champs to cheer about so when they do get a champ they welcome him
Danny Ocean is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Britsh Boxing venues & fans............Best atmospheres in world boxing....?????

I was wating for that............LOL
Hatton was filling venues & getting this kind of support long before he was a champion............For ****s sake like I said 400 welshman , Jocks , Irish or ****neys in there local working mans club can generate more atmosphere than the whole crowd at the last FM fight...........kind of embarrasing really.........The whole thing with brit fighters ...... trainers, venues , crowds & the fighters them selves just seems grittier & closer to the fight public than that in the U.S...........The latinos are similar to us but the americans just dont seem to have it on the same level........???...........My question is Why....???
Taffyy is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

It is linked to the other sports. I don't know why we are like we are, or how it became part of the culture, but look at football and cricket too. Tiny football clubs have fans who follow them everywhere and sing all game. The Barmy Army in cricket is well known and boxing is exactly the same.

What is even more impressive than the atmosphere is the dedication of fans. For Hatton to take 10,000 Brits out to Vegas is unbelievable...if Mayweather fought in England, how many PBF fans do you think would fly to Britain to support him?

My guess is about 37.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

I have been to Old Trafford (Benn/EubankII); Cardiff (Lewis/Bruno); Wembley (Bruno/Witherspoon); Wembley (Arena) (Hagler/Minter); Loftus Road (McGuigan/Pedroza); they were fun, but I still think a full house at the York Hall compares to them all as part of a night out.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
halfamazin1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Try Tito in MSG
halfamazin1 is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazin1
Try Tito in MSG
Might be pretty good ............. But honestly you should experience a big fight at ANY of the venues over here...........Unmatched ..... !!!!
I watched my mate fight at York Hall a few yrs back now.......He's irish decent but lives in wales & we took 100's down with us...........absolutely rocking.............dont get me wrong the local boys fans were on form too............Hell of a night..........An atmosphere to scare the shit outa you !!!!!!!!!!
Taffyy is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
psychopath
D' "X" Factor
East Side VIP

Location: In your . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WORST Nightmare
vCash: 2065

I don't know if it's only me . . . but the atmosphere that I saw on my screen in the Hatton/Castillo fight sucks. **** . . . why are those Brits singing? As if it was a football game.

You can't hear the crowd's reactions and jubilation because of the stupid singing in the background.

I recorded the whole thing for my collection but I decided to just erase and disregard it after I got pissed on that goddam singing when I'm reviewing it.
psychopath is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Brit fans easy the best. Even Ring Magazine said so in 1995.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:25 AM   #10
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopath
I don't know if it's only me . . . but the atmosphere that I saw on my screen in the Hatton/Castillo fight sucks. **** . . . why are those Brits singing? As if it was a football game.

You can't hear the crowd's reactions and jubilation because of the stupid singing in the background.

I recorded the whole thing for my collection but I decided to just erase and disregard it after I got pissed on that goddam singing when I'm reviewing it.
There you go........My point exactly.....
Americans just really dont get it.....
Seriously pal...............You'd have a seizure if you went to a fight over here..............
Taffyy is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
halfamazin1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffyy
There you go........My point exactly.....
Americans just really dont get it.....
Seriously pal...............You'd have a seizure if you went to a fight over here..............
I agree, you guys are wild...it's because those "hoodlum" soccer fans take that same enthusiasm into the boxing matches too...
halfamazin1 is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #12
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffyy
From my own experiences & that of friends of mine who have watched fights in the US the buzz created at UK venues is unmatched ........ Why is this.......???...........Im not having a go at any nations support for there boxers as I have seen some latino supporters raise the roof a bit but why cant a nation like the US generate the same kind of atmosphere at their venues as a crowd say in Manchester ....... ????
My mate got back yesterday from Hatton V Castillo and although he said that the abuse directed at mexican fans by the Brit contingent was out of order the sheer volume & presence of the UK fans was unbelievable..............As I have posted on another thread I have watched amature bouts in shitty little working mans clubs in the welsh mining valleys & the crowd have been electric.......I mean to the point where they made the fansbase at FM V DLH look like a librariens convention....... .....................I have been to low profile pro fights in Bethnal Green & it really is goosebump material.........I think its down to passion..........Are us brits more passionate supporters when it comes to boxing.......I dont know but we are certainly more vocal & it must be pretty intimidating on times.............If Hatton fought any top name now at Wembley it would be sold out............Is there ANY fighter anywhere in the world now that could do that..........JC against a big name could run it close I suppose...........I really am intrigued at why the british working classes embrace boxing the way they do as a pose to their American counterparts...................Its not just our own fighters either.............Johnny Tapia for example was given the most amazing reception when he fought here............One that he has commented on since..............Maybe us Brits just identify with the hard working class fighters more.......I dont know.........What do you fellas think...???
I was at York Hall Bethnal Green the night Johnny Tapia came to fight, and I can honestly say I've never heard a noise like it at Bethnal Green, and that's saying something.

I agree, I think many Americans would have a seizure if they came and watched some big fights over here. The Germans are even quieter than the Yanks!! Now that IS a library in Krautlande!!
David UK is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland

I hope the Brits weren't being too disrespectful to the Mexicans. By all means cheer you man on as loudly as possible, but I don't agree with intimidating other fans,even if they were Mayweathers!!
David UK is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #14
Carlos Primera
Martinez is a badman
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

imagine if a hatton-cotto fight was made and held at madison square garden. i wouldnt be surprised if a damn riot broke out with the place crammed by boricuas and brits. imo i like that fight to take place more than floyd-hatton/ floyd cotto.
Carlos Primera is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #15
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke
imagine if a hatton-cotto fight was made and held at madison square garden. i wouldnt be surprised if a damn riot broke out with the place crammed by boricuas and brits. imo i like that fight to take place more than floyd-hatton/ floyd cotto.
I agree with you mate.............
Taffyy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum