Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Abhishek

vCash: 500
Default Help with weight training.

Started going to boxing gym 2 months ago, it has boxing ring and heavy bags. Our coach rarely takes interest when we do sparring, and don't teach how to slip, bob and weave. I go to gym, skip for 15 mints than work on bag. Do sparring twice a week. In sparring all we do is hit each other, and the only defense is keeping your hand up, no upper body movement.I have started seeing videos on youtube and i am working on it. I want to develop good speed and power behind my punches, so i have started lifting weight. I am 5'6 and weight 118 pounds, want to be at 132 pounds. After completing workout in boxing gym i go for weight lifting and do following exercises.

Monday :- 15 bur pees
10 x 3 squat jumps
10 x 3 bent over rows
5 x 2 Romanian dead lift(max 80 pounds)
10 x 3 T rows
8 x 3 dumbbell biceps curl
8 x 3 hammer curls.

Tuesday

10 x 2 explosive push ups(clapping and also pushing feet in air i.e whole body)
8 x 2 barbell bench press (80 pounds) and 5 x 1(100 pounds)
8 x 2 dumbbell bench press
8 x 3 inclined bench press
12 x 3 close grip bench press

Wednesday

5 x 3 Squat (100 pounds)
15 x 3 lunges
5 x 3 dumbbell snatches (40 lbs dumbbell)
10 x 3 military press
10 x 2 front raises
abs to failure

Thursday

5 x 3 dumbbell snatches(40 lbs)
10 x 3 dumbbell swings(30 lbs)
obliques and abs to failure
working on calf to failure

Friday few variation in exercises, standing & holding weights and than rotating for rotational strength

Saturday no weight lifting

Can you suggest what should be the rest interval between each sets and exercise. And how much repetition should i do. I think 1-6 is for strength, 7-12 for hypertrophy and 12- 20 for endurance. Please correct me if am wrong. Also should i cut isolated exercise and concentrate only on compound lifting? And please tell me few more exercise for speed and power. I know the amount of weights i am lifting is very less but i just started. And sorry for my english. I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks
Abhishek is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685
Default Re: Help with weight training.

there is a forum for training.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Flemo83
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek View Post
Started going to boxing gym 2 months ago, it has boxing ring and heavy bags. Our coach rarely takes interest when we do sparring, and don't teach how to slip, bob and weave. I go to gym, skip for 15 mints than work on bag. Do sparring twice a week. In sparring all we do is hit each other, and the only defense is keeping your hand up, no upper body movement.I have started seeing videos on youtube and i am working on it. I want to develop good speed and power behind my punches, so i have started lifting weight. I am 5'6 and weight 118 pounds, want to be at 132 pounds. After completing workout in boxing gym i go for weight lifting and do following exercises.

10 x 3 squat jumps
10 x 3 bent over rows
10 x 3 T rows
8 x 3 hammer curls.

Tuesday

Wednesday

5 x 3 Squat (100 pounds)
15 x 3 lunges
10 x 3 military press
10 x 2 front raises
abs to failure

Thursday

Friday few variation in exercises, standing & holding weights and than rotating for rotational strength

Can you suggest what should be the rest interval between each sets and exercise. And how much repetition should i do. I think 1-6 is for strength, 7-12 for hypertrophy and 12- 20 for endurance. Please correct me if am wrong. Also should i cut isolated exercise and concentrate only on compound lifting? And please tell me few more exercise for speed and power. I know the amount of weights i am lifting is very less but i just started. And sorry for my english. I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks
As regards to your coach not showin interest, most wont until you've been goin a bit longer so just stick at it mate.
Flemo83 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

How old are you? Are you drinking protein shakes? You need to get a lot of protein if you're trying to bulk up and gain weight. Your age has a lot to do with it as well. So does your cardio routine.
Montero is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Rhino718
M.O.B.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek View Post

10 x 3 squat jumps
10 x 3 bent over rows
10 x 3 T rows
8 x 3 hammer curls.

Tuesday

Wednesday

5 x 3 Squat (100 pounds)
15 x 3 lunges
10 x 3 military press
10 x 2 front raises
abs to failure

Thursday

Thanks
If you goal is to put on weight the most important thing is DIET. Take in at least 1.5xs your body weight in grams of protein a day. Try for 2xs if your a hard gainer. Keep your carbs slow burning, oatmeal, sweet potato, veggies.
Training is the easy part. Good Luck
Rhino718 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Keueng
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 9199

Creatine Monohydrate 100%
Keueng is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
gr33nfather
Contender
ESB Senior Member

smoke some weed and eat like a dinosaur you'll see the results fast
gr33nfather is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keueng View Post
Creatine Monohydrate 100%
What does this do?
cheech is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Abhishek,

Your understanding of rep scheme is right. As a GENERAL rule, using 5 reps will address both muscle and strength gains in most, especially if you are a beginner. To answer both of your questions, yes, you should be using mostly compound exercises. Rest in between sets should be between 2.5-5 minutes for strength work, never less. If strength training, then in between exercises use active rest such as light shadow boxing, jogging, skipping, etc for 8-10 minutes. Heart rate should be between 130-140bpm.

The second question is yes, to do more compound exercises and less isolation/different angle of this and that.
An example of a good beginner workout may be something like this:

Monday
Bench press 3 x 5
Squats 3x 5
Rows or Chin ups 3 x 5
One auxilary lift if you would like 2-3 x 10

Wednesday
Shoulder press 3 x 5
Deadlifts 2-3 x 5
Auxilary lift 2-3 x 10

Friday (same as Monday)

This workout is plenty. These exercises will stimulate more growth than any auxilary lifts or 3-4 exercises hitting a muscle from a different angle. In addition, bench press, squats and deadlifts work stabilizing muscles better than most other exercises, including many of the new workout fads(bosu balls, swiss balls, etc.

Lastly, diet is the most important thing for increasing weight to 132 lbs. Increase protein and quality calories and at your young age everything should take care of itself. Hopefully your boxing coach will begin to help you. Remember weight training is a supplement, not substitute for skill work, therefore you should not be burned out from your weight training.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #10
Onepunch
Prestigeous clincher
ESB Full Member

if you want punching power I'd focus more on hitting the bag than weights.

If you want to be a competitive boxer I'd suggest doing just 2 days a week weights and focusing the rest of your time on your boxing training. I do something similar and I gain muscle weight relatively easily from it.

The program I'd advise would mirror something already said above but here goes.

DAY 1
squat 3x5
overhead press (NOT military press) 3x5
weighted pullups 3x5

DAY 2
squat/deadlift 3x5
weighted dips 3x5
weighted chinups 3x5

This way you should be in the gym for a maximum of 90mins on your weights days.

*I excluded bench press because imo dips are a better lift for fighters because of the concentration of the load on the shoulders and triceps instead of the chest for bench press.
Onepunch is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montero View Post
How old are you? Are you drinking protein shakes? You need to get a lot of protein if you're trying to bulk up and gain weight. Your age has a lot to do with it as well. So does your cardio routine.
I am 25 and i take creatine + protein shakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino718 View Post
If you goal is to put on weight the most important thing is DIET. Take in at least 1.5xs your body weight in grams of protein a day. Try for 2xs if your a hard gainer. Keep your carbs slow burning, oatmeal, sweet potato, veggies.
Training is the easy part. Good Luck
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonLPC View Post
Abhishek,

Your understanding of rep scheme is right. As a GENERAL rule, using 5 reps will address both muscle and strength gains in most, especially if you are a beginner. To answer both of your questions, yes, you should be using mostly compound exercises. Rest in between sets should be between 2.5-5 minutes for strength work, never less. If strength training, then in between exercises use active rest such as light shadow boxing, jogging, skipping, etc for 8-10 minutes. Heart rate should be between 130-140bpm.

The second question is yes, to do more compound exercises and less isolation/different angle of this and that.
An example of a good beginner workout may be something like this:

Monday
Bench press 3 x 5
Squats 3x 5
Rows or Chin ups 3 x 5
One auxilary lift if you would like 2-3 x 10

Wednesday
Shoulder press 3 x 5
Deadlifts 2-3 x 5
Auxilary lift 2-3 x 10

Friday (same as Monday)

This workout is plenty. These exercises will stimulate more growth than any auxilary lifts or 3-4 exercises hitting a muscle from a different angle. In addition, bench press, squats and deadlifts work stabilizing muscles better than most other exercises, including many of the new workout fads(bosu balls, swiss balls, etc.

Lastly, diet is the most important thing for increasing weight to 132 lbs. Increase protein and quality calories and at your young age everything should take care of itself. Hopefully your boxing coach will begin to help you. Remember weight training is a supplement, not substitute for skill work, therefore you should not be burned out from your weight training.
I get very exhausted after weight training. And can't see much difference in power and before weight training i use to punch faster than i do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepunch View Post
if you want punching power I'd focus more on hitting the bag than weights.

If you want to be a competitive boxer I'd suggest doing just 2 days a week weights and focusing the rest of your time on your boxing training. I do something similar and I gain muscle weight relatively easily from it.

The program I'd advise would mirror something already said above but here goes.

DAY 1
squat 3x5
overhead press (NOT military press) 3x5
weighted pullups 3x5

DAY 2
squat/deadlift 3x5
weighted dips 3x5
weighted chinups 3x5

This way you should be in the gym for a maximum of 90mins on your weights days.

*I excluded bench press because imo dips are a better lift for fighters because of the concentration of the load on the shoulders and triceps instead of the chest for bench press.
How about doing explosive set of bench press, i mean going slow in negative and than pushing up at max speed possible. And does plyometric training increase your speed and power?
Abhishek is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you're lifting weights to increase strength, whch I'm guessing you are, lifting after your boxing class isn't any good, you'll be too tired to lift to your max potential. Same with people that seem to think doing an hours cardio before lifting weights is a good idea.

How they come up with this stuff i don't know
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Weight training can have a profound effect on the Central Nervous System, thus leaving one feeling sluggish both physically and mentally for the rest of the day. If you want to gain weight, do the workout I proposed and eat properly. If you want to improve speed and power for boxing, hit the bag. Both is too much.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
skullman

excessive volume training man.....
skullman is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
Panthers89
Mr. Big Dreams
ESB Jr Member