Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
vitaminko
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Default wrist/hand pain.

hello everybody.Im pretty new to boxing, started 1 month ago but i love it.I would like to have your advices for the following. .
When i hit the heavybag i feel pain in the wrists and palms sometimes its very sharp.. the pain goes away in few days but when i start hitting again it comes again.I try to hit the bag without much power but its the same thing. Is there a way to solve the problem or i'm going to suffer all the time. 10x
vitaminko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Panthers89
Mr. Big Dreams
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lost like the Golden Age
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminko View Post
hello everybody.Im pretty new to boxing, started 1 month ago but i love it.I would like to have your advices for the following. .
When i hit the heavybag i feel pain in the wrists and palms sometimes its very sharp.. the pain goes away in few days but when i start hitting again it comes again.I try to hit the bag without much power but its the same thing. Is there a way to solve the problem or i'm going to suffer all the time. 10x
you may have broken a bone in your hand, or strained a ligament at the least, you should go see a doc to get your hand x-rayed
Panthers89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
vitaminko
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

i did x-rayed my hands but everything is normal. The only thing that is close to my mind is that it needs time for the wrists to get used the damage from the bag.
vitaminko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminko View Post
i did x-rayed my hands but everything is normal. The only thing that is close to my mind is that it needs time for the wrists to get used the damage from the bag.
I had the same problem when I started going Boxing.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
P.4.P.G.O.A.T.
Q Boro Killa Bee
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 13418
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

Had bigtime knuckle and wrist problems when I started boxing.....Keep your hands wrapped well (tightly around the wrist, less tight but wrapped well around your knuckles and hand), use gloves with a good padding, and maintain good punching technique. These issues will eventually go away.
P.4.P.G.O.A.T. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,419
vCash: 500
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

make sure your knuckles are straight when you punch, that your wrapping is good, and that your wrist is straight.

I've had wrist injuries from high school that started acting up again but i just wrapped my hand over the ace bandage i was wearing as well. Felt pretty tight but i found way to wrap things comfortably and still work out. It's something you have to get used to, your hands will toughen up if you keep at it for long enough without actually hurting anything.
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 646
vCash: 1000
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

I've had the same issues when I started as well (both knuckle and later wrist). Are you wrapping your hands correctly or even wearing wraps? How heavy are the gloves that you are wearing?
wordisbond is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
vitaminko
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

from now i would pay more attention to the propper wrapping and will be using maybe 12oz gloves for the bag (till my fist get used to).
I really appreciate u for sharing your experience .you guyz really helped me alot :
vitaminko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 528
vCash: 1000
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I had the same problem when I started going Boxing.
Same here. It sorted it self out on it's own I guess as the muscles in my wrist got stronger or something.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Golden Boy 360
Boxing's Biggest Cash Cow
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 4,803
vCash: 850
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

Had the same problem when I started even though I'm still quite new. Then I attempted to wrap my hands differently by looking at youtube videos, wrists or nuckles dont hurt or get bruised anymore
Golden Boy 360 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
vitaminko
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

today with the 12oz gloves it was less pain in the wrist.I also started to bang the lighter bag because the one i use to bang was 60-70 kg.
vitaminko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,419
vCash: 500
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

Do you use wristwrap gloves? I always try to cinch them down as snugly as I can without constricting blood flow because of my wrists.
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
mister
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminko View Post
hello everybody.Im pretty new to boxing, started 1 month ago but i love it.I would like to have your advices for the following. .
When i hit the heavybag i feel pain in the wrists and palms sometimes its very sharp.. the pain goes away in few days but when i start hitting again it comes again.I try to hit the bag without much power but its the same thing. Is there a way to solve the problem or i'm going to suffer all the time. 10x
you are probably hitting the bag throwing wild haymakers with no technique what so ever,first off dont hit the bag until you learn the basics,stand in front of a mirror and get your hands in a right position and start to throw slow punches at first,jab jab throw a right and try different combinations after a couple of weeks you should be ready to hit the bag,before hitting the bag make sure your hands are wrapped properly with a good set of hand wraps,then put on a good pair of gloves either the smaller ones or the bigger ones,make sure they fit properly,then you may precede with hitting the bag using the same combos you worked on while shadow boxing in font of the mirror,
mister is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
vitaminko
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
you are probably hitting the bag throwing wild haymakers with no technique what so ever,first off dont hit the bag until you learn the basics,stand in front of a mirror and get your hands in a right position and start to throw slow punches at first,jab jab throw a right and try different combinations after a couple of weeks you should be ready to hit the bag,before hitting the bag make sure your hands are wrapped properly with a good set of hand wraps,then put on a good pair of gloves either the smaller ones or the bigger ones,make sure they fit properly,then you may precede with hitting the bag using the same combos you worked on while shadow boxing in font of the mirror,
u are 100% right i also found out that i hold very tight my fist + the thumb and by not bending the thumb just loosing it the pain isnt the same
vitaminko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
badr_hari
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 119
vCash: 748
Default Re: wrist/hand pain.

started boxing 1 month ago and hitting the heavy bag ? Strange.
badr_hari is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013