Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: ***The Top 50 Wins Of The Decade, 1990-1999***

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post

the following sentence sums you up much better

fragile popkins is a 115lb delusional ring magazine / hbo puppett, desperate to make american friends by hyping up proven banned anabolic steroid disgraces at every opportunity
Keep going. You are embarrassing and exposing yourself further with every post. Your jealousy and petty hatred is utterly pathetic. Continue!!
Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #77
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
Popkins, first of all I must say I admire the work you put into this. Great effort man, well done!

That said, I would definitely make some adjustments.

First off, I think Michalczewski's win over Hill is rated at least 15 places too low. It ought to crack the top 20 or top 25 at the least, yet you have it at way down at #39. You write "the cynic would say that Jones beat Hill easier immediately after this fight", well that is not quite entirely true. Hill took an 11 month layoff and was very rusty (and a year older) for the Jones fight. Not only that, but before the body shot KO, Hill was actually winning rounds (some even had him ahead 2-1 against Jones). Also the fight was held above the LHW limit, as Hill had developed weight problems as a result of his layoff. He could not even make the catch weight on his first or second attempts, needing to drain himself just to get there at all.

Overall, it was a great win for Michalczewski over the guy who would have been Ring champion if the title existed at the time (it didn't, but Hill was the Ring #1).

Secondly, I believe Chavez's win over Taylor is rated too highly.

Chavez had 3x the experience of Taylor, and not only that, but his performance was not even close to a B+. He was outboxed for 9 out of 11 rounds, and the "TKO" at the end is arguably the most questionable stoppage of all time. Chavez was a bad referee decision away from a points loss that night.
You make a good case for Michalczewski vs Hill, and have a good point. However, I wouldn't change its placing if I rewrote the list. I see where you're coming from, but I don't fully agree. Yes, the Hill who fought Michalczewski was a better version, but a 4th round single-shot KO has to rank higher than a points win which may have been clear, but was not an emphatic beatdown or complete outclassing/domination. I take your point though mate.

I disagree a little more strongly over Chavez-Taylor though. Before this fight, Taylor was rated as the best fighter to come out of the great US '84 Olympic team, even better than Holyfield or Whitaker. And I've seen his win over Buddy McGirt in '88 - he was the real deal IMO. A flawed but still superb fighter. And I maintain that Chavez deserves a B+, he produced one of the most subtle and overlooked beatings in boxing history. Don't get me wrong, I had Taylor well ahead on points, but Chavez did more damage over the course of the fight. Taylor had gradually been ground down to a wounded animal by the beginning of the final round. If you watch the fight again and pay close attention to the work done by JCC, you will see many hard and accurate shots making their way through Taylor's blizzards of punches. His punch resilience, his composure, his accuracy, and his ability to pick the right shots at the right time were just remarkable. I personally do not view the stoppage as controversial at all, that's my own opinion on it - if a guy twice fails to respond when asked if he is OK, then the referee waves it off, to me that's just an automatic must. And perhaps my judgement on the performance is coloured a little by the fact that I'm a staunch advocate of a return to the full 15 round championship distance - and if this was a 15-round fight (like it should have been and all fights should be IMO) Chavez would've scored a crushing 13th round KO for sure, a win of Arguello-esque magnificence!

Anyway, thank you very much for your insights, good points.

Last edited by Popkins; 09-30-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #78
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

vCash: 2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I'll answer your first point first: Because Carbajal's all-round performance was not great.

And your second point: No. I explained this in the blurb following the body of the list. I personally cannot consider a fight to be a great win, if I don't even think it was in fact a real win. Therefore, it is not possible, it makes no sense at all, for me to include (for example) Trinidad-De La Hoya as a great win, when I strongly believe Oscar won the fight by a clear margin (4 pts), therefore I don't even consider it a win, never mind a great one.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Even if you disagree, I hope I explained myself a little here.
No that properly cleared it up, cheers.
LancsTerrible is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #79
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru

Quote:
Keep going. You are embarrassing and exposing yourself further with every post. Your jealousy and petty hatred is utterly pathetic. Continue!!

2 ducks in one thread

looks like you've learnt your lesson at last
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #80
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
2 ducks in one thread

looks like you've learnt your lesson at last
3 or 4 posts from you now on this thread...

ZERO boxing analysis in addressing the thread-subject...

Just your usual anti-American borderline racist xenophobic hatred this time directed towards James Toney...

Looks like you have learnt your lesson - don't **** with the big boys of this forum when it comes to serious boxing chat, just stay in your little fanboy troll bubble with your fellow gimps, spewing out emoticons and recycled regurgitated ancient jokes.

You're a joke. A nothing. The very definition of a troll.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #81
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

solid work
realsoulja is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #82
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

read the list (mostly..did skip one or two) when it was first posted. 1)it's very ambitious 2)it's very well done. it's an incredibly tough task and you're bound to miss a couple but overall it's fantastic. the top 10 especially, even if i don't agree, your explanations are very solid
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #83
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Though if Pea-Oscar had been scored how I thought it should (to Pernell by 1 point), then that would surely rival Pea-JCC, considering the Pea who faced the unbeaten prime Oscar was a clearly declined Pea from the version who boxed the ears off JCC.
I don`t really think either DLH or Pea deserved the W in that fight, Oscar was too inefective & Pea just didn`t do anywhere near enough offensively.

A draw is the fairest result in that one IMO... of course I wont grudge either man a close win (the judges were way off even if you thought Oscar won, no doubt) but if Pea did get that win... I think the performance in the Chavez fight was so much more impressive than in the DLH fight that it would still rank higher despite the 93 Whitaker being a fair bit better than the 97 Whitaker.

The way he neutralized a genuinely brilliant ATG fighter in Chavez was just sheer mastery, he showed defence, offence, ring generalship & dominated rds 3, 7 & 8 superbly.... he only really showed defensive mastery vs Oscar but still, no-one expected that performance from a 33 yr old Pea.

The Chavez win for me.

Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #84
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
I don`t really think either DLH or Pea deserved the W in that fight, Oscar was too inefective & Pea just didn`t do anywhere near enough offensively.

A draw is the fairest result in that one IMO... of course I wont grudge either man a close win (the judges were way off even if you thought Oscar won, no doubt) but if Pea did get that win... I think the performance in the Chavez fight was so much more impressive than in the DLH fight that it would still rank higher despite the 93 Whitaker being a fair bit better than the 97 Whitaker.

The way he neutralized a genuinely brilliant ATG fighter in Chavez was just sheer mastery, he showed defence, offence, ring generalship & dominated rds 3, 7 & 8 superbly.... he only really showed defensive mastery vs Oscar but still, no-one expected that performance from a 33 yr old Pea.

The Chavez win for me.

agree. for atg status of the opponent and the quality of performance, the chavez "win" is better than an oscar win
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #85
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post

The Chavez win for me.

Yeah, I agree actually. The Oscar win would have been a greater achievement IMO, but the Chavez win would still be a better win because Pea's performance was sublime.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #86
Totomabs
Sauna Belt Holder
ESB Addict

great work popkins.
Totomabs is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #87
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

Hey Popkins it hurts to mention this cause I'm a Terry Norris nuthugger but was there a reason why you didn't include Simon Brown's win over Norris in their first fight?
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #88
46and0
It's irrefutable.
ESB Addict

vCash: 165

Quote:

the following sentence sums you up much better

fragile popkins is a 115lb delusional ring magazine / hbo puppett, desperate to make american friends by hyping up proven banned anabolic steroid disgraces at every opportunity
Fantastic post Head'. 5 stars. Salutations on this brutal ESB dismantling.
46and0 is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #89
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENNY BLANCO View Post
Hey Popkins it hurts to mention this cause I'm a Terry Norris nuthugger but was there a reason why you didn't include Simon Brown's win over Norris in their first fight?
You know what - I apologize, this fight deserved consideration, and I didn't even think of it. Completely slipped my mind.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #90
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46and0 View Post
Fantastic post Head'. 5 stars. Salutations on this brutal ESB dismantling.
Two inbred brothers giving each other a mutual cyberwank. Thoroughly repulsive troll-like behaviour.

Braindeads like you two are killing the reputation of this forum, you know. It's documented on other boxing websites. You're notorious cyberscum morons. Congrats.
Popkins is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum