Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #91
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 673
Default Re: ***The Top 50 Wins Of The Decade, 1990-1999***

You have it as an honorable mention, but Mayweather vs. Hernandez in 1998 was huge. One of the best all time 130 pounders getting dethroned by one of the best fighters of the era. Along with Corrales, the best performance in Mayweathers' career.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #92
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
You have it as an honorable mention, but Mayweather vs. Hernandez in 1998 was huge. One of the best all time 130 pounders getting dethroned by one of the best fighters of the era. Along with Corrales, the best performance in Mayweathers' career.
That's definitely overstating Hernandez's legacy.

It was a very good win and a very good performance, but it was also the last fight of Hernandez's career, and De La Hoya had already beaten a better version of Hernandez in less time than Floyd managed to.

I'm comfortable with keeping it as an Honourable Mention. A very good win, but not top 50 calibre in my personal opinion.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #93
boxalights
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

you know what, i would put quartey vs. phillips somewhere in there. that was an A+ performane. maybe Carr also
boxalights is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #94
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxalights View Post
you know what, i would put quartey vs. phillips somewhere in there. that was an A+ performane. maybe Carr also
Quartey-Phillips was in my original long list. It didn't make the final cut. Top performance though, for sure.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #95
boxalights
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

yes, i agree with that. i don't think i've seen quartey look better. he almost looked like mccallum against julian jackson in there.
boxalights is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #96
46and0
It's irrefutable.
ESB Addict

vCash: 165

Popkins
This message is hidden because Popkins is on your ignore list.
46and0 is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #97
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxalights View Post
yes, i agree with that. i don't think i've seen quartey look better. he almost looked like mccallum against julian jackson in there.
Yeah, but Julian Jackson is several leagues above Vince Phillips, in all fairness.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #98
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
You make a good case for Michalczewski vs Hill, and have a good point. However, I wouldn't change its placing if I rewrote the list. I see where you're coming from, but I don't fully agree. Yes, the Hill who fought Michalczewski was a better version, but a 4th round single-shot KO has to rank higher than a points win which may have been clear, but was not an emphatic beatdown or complete outclassing/domination. I take your point though mate.

I disagree a little more strongly over Chavez-Taylor though. Before this fight, Taylor was rated as the best fighter to come out of the great US '84 Olympic team, even better than Holyfield or Whitaker. And I've seen his win over Buddy McGirt in '88 - he was the real deal IMO. A flawed but still superb fighter. And I maintain that Chavez deserves a B+, he produced one of the most subtle and overlooked beatings in boxing history. Don't get me wrong, I had Taylor well ahead on points, but Chavez did more damage over the course of the fight. Taylor had gradually been ground down to a wounded animal by the beginning of the final round. If you watch the fight again and pay close attention to the work done by JCC, you will see many hard and accurate shots making their way through Taylor's blizzards of punches. His punch resilience, his composure, his accuracy, and his ability to pick the right shots at the right time were just remarkable. I personally do not view the stoppage as controversial at all, that's my own opinion on it - if a guy twice fails to respond when asked if he is OK, then the referee waves it off, to me that's just an automatic must. And perhaps my judgement on the performance is coloured a little by the fact that I'm a staunch advocate of a return to the full 15 round championship distance - and if this was a 15-round fight (like it should have been and all fights should be IMO) Chavez would've scored a crushing 13th round KO for sure, a win of Arguello-esque magnificence!

Anyway, thank you very much for your insights, good points.
Come to think of it you've convinced me about Chavez Taylor...for the purposes of ranking the win that is. It was an epic 12th round to be sure, and Meldrick felt those effects out of the ring after that night.

About Hill, I think you need to rank DM's win over Jones' simply because of who Hill was at that time. WBA, IBF, Linear champ, Ring champ* (they didnt have the belt back then but who cares), and a 3-1 favourite.

Against Roy Hill had already been deposed and was the underdog.

Still, Hill proved his longevity being a champ into his 40s, which means that at 33 he was in his prime against Michalczewski, ala Hopkins at the same age.

Also Hill had some big wins, I mean come on 25-0 future champ Tiozzo, 24-1 WBA champ Stewart, 34-3 former champ Czyz, 30-0 future interim champ Brudov, 30-0 IBF champ and Olympic gold medallist Maske, 42-1 WBA Cruiser champ Tiozzo, this is a surefire HOFer who got beaten when at the peak of his career. Surely this win cracks the top 25.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #99
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Thanks to everyone who commented on the thread, I'm taking a break from ESB now, won't be on again till it's time to bask in the glory of yet another magnificent Manny Pacquiao victory, and once I've spent a day crowing about that triumph, I'll be gone again for about a year. Sadly, I have real-life work to do now which precludes me from spending hours a day on here. See you all soon dudes.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #100
hussleman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Good ****ysis on the fights, pretty accurate from 1-50.
hussleman is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #101
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Thanks to everyone who commented on the thread, I'm taking a break from ESB now, won't be on again till it's time to bask in the glory of yet another magnificent Manny Pacquiao victory, and once I've spent a day crowing about that triumph, I'll be gone again for about a year. Sadly, I have real-life work to do now which precludes me from spending hours a day on here. See you all soon dudes.

the inevitable has happenned. my irrefutable facts and cutting edge ****ysis has driven fragile popkins out of esb, a broken man

there is only so many times a poster can be pwned before he accepts the glaring reality that he is a hbo puppett

1 down, 23'466 to go - which one of you repulsive minnions is the next in line to be brutally dismantled by an elite esb titan?
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #102
jaffay
New Orleans Hornets
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

wow, just wow

great and mad work
jaffay is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #103
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru

thank you
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM   #104
Wiirdo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 564

Wait a minute, why is the Moorer of the Foreman fight rated as a B but the Holy II version a B+?
Wiirdo is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 AM   #105
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiirdo View Post
Wait a minute, why is the Moorer of the Foreman fight rated as a B but the Holy II version a B+?
I rate the fighter on their condition at the time. I'm sure most people on this forum (rightly or wrongly) think Shane Mosley is now a lesser fighter than he was a year ago (judging by the reaction to Pac-Mosley). Basically, pre-Foreman, Moorer was at his peak, he had just beaten Holyfield. Post-Foreman, although I thought he showed some top skills vs Schulz, he was no longer peak confidence or ability, see the fight immediately before Holyfield II, an MD over Vaughan Bean. There was three years between Foreman and Holyfield II, that can be a long time in some guys' careers. I would ask you - what did Moorer ever do after Holyfield II? Beat a few bums, got sparked within a round by Tua, and then slid into obscurity. JMO.
Popkins is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum