Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035
Default Re: Pound-for-pound list

1)Ray Robinson
2)Henry Armstrong
3)Harry Greb
4)Muhammad Ali
5)Joe Louis
6)Sam Langford
7)Benny Leonard
8 )Roberto Duran
9)Willie Pep
10)Bob Fitzsimmons

Just Missed Top 10: Ray Leonard, Charles, Tunney, Archie Moore, Joe Gans, Jack Johnson
Swarmer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Below is what I posted in Rumsfeld's thread. Perhaps B. Leonard and Fitz should have been there. But don't know on whose expense, though. For example, I think Louis makes too few lists. Gans perhaps should make way for Leonard, though... Very tough. Well, I'll stick with it until convinced otherwise.

My criteria:

1. Record. Wins and losses. Opposition, but also size and age difference (distance from prime) are important factors

2. Perfomances. How impressive were the wins and how wide/close were the losses? Preferred source for this is film, but if not avalaible I'll go for first hand accounts (match reports).

3. ...

4. ...

5. General assesement of the fighter from contemprorary sources. Due diligence is important here and that's why it's a lesser criteria. For example, how much weight should I put on Dundee rating Ali ahead of Leonard? Not much, considering how he phrased it.

From that:

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Harry Greb
3. Henry Armstrong
4. Willie Pep
5. Ezzard Charles
6. Muhammad Ali
7. Sam Langford
8. Roberto Duran
9. Joe Gans
10. Joe Louis

Last edited by Bokaj; 09-29-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #18
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
1)Ray Robinson
2)Henry Armstrong
3)Harry Greb
4)Muhammad Ali
5)Joe Louis
6)Sam Langford
7)Benny Leonard
8 )Roberto Duran
9)Willie Pep
10)Bob Fitzsimmons

Just Missed Top 10: Ray Leonard, Charles, Tunney, Fitzsimmons, Archie Moore, Joe Gans, Jack Johnson
Where's Jones...
Addie is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Where's Jones...
about 20 spaces down getting KTFO by danny green and beating up on sanitation workers and getting outslapped by calzaghe and avoiding eastern bloc fighters and not rematching hopkins and toney and and...

Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #20
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Opposition, but also size and age difference (and point in career) are important factors

I agree that difference in size is important, but what is the relevance of difference in age?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #21
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Hmmm, y'all are making me reconsider not having Ez in the top 10. He is one of my all time favorites too but I guess I'm putting way too much emphasis on his HW campaign.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #22
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I agree that difference in size is important, but what is the relevance of difference in age?
If a 45-year old fighter beats a 28-year old one it generally (my "point in career" can at times adjust this a bit) makes it more impressive. Duran-Barkley, for example, is so damn impressive because of differences in both size and age.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #23
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
If a 45-year old fighter beats a 25-year old one it generelly (my "point in career" can at times adjust this a bit) makes it more impressive. Duran-Barkley, for example, is so damn impressive because of differences in both size and age.

Most definitely, 45 is at the extreme end of the scale and that makes a performance exceptional - but what about more reasonably? I mean a 34 year old beating a 21 year old for example?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #24
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Most definitely, 45 is at the extreme end of the scale and that makes a performance exceptional - but what about more reasonably? I mean a 34 year old beating a 21 year old for example?
It was mostly meant for the more extreme examples. The above example is more difficult. Here's where "point in career" comes into play in a big way. If both are late bloomers it means less. If a 34-year old Holmes beat a 21-year old Lewis, I wouldn't think it was worth that much. But if a 34-year old Holyfield beat a 21-year old Tyson (instead of the version he did beat) it would be an even greater win than the ones he has over him.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #25
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
It was mostly meant for the more extreme examples. The above example is more difficult. Here's where "point in career" comes into play in a big way. If both are late bloomers it means less. If a 34-year old Lewis beat a 21-year old Lewis, I wouldn't think it was worth mentioning. But if a 34-year old Holyfield beat a 21-year old Tyson (instead of the version he did beat) it would be an even greater win than the ones he has over him.

I think this is the salient point. It's the form the fighter is displaying rather than the number that defines them. The danger with listing age as your #1 criteria is that you'll end up penalising guys for beating opponents who are say, 35, as opposed to 21...for no better reason than they were that age when they lost.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #26
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

1-Sugar Ray Robinson
2-Harry Greb
3-Sugar Ray Leonard
4-Sam Langford
5-Joe Louis
6-Henry Armnstrong
7-Muhammad Ali
8-Willie Pep
9-Benny Leonard
10-Eder Jofre

11-Roberto Duran/ Joe Gans (Tie)
13-Gene Tunney
14-Carlos Monzon
15-Manny Pacquiao
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #27
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I think this is the salient point. It's the form the fighter is displaying rather than the number that defines them. The danger with listing age as your #1 criteria is that you'll end up penalising guys for beating opponents who are say, 35, as opposed to 21...for no better reason than they were that age when they lost.
That's why I put "point in career" in parenthesis next to it. May should make it clearer, though, but it's hard. If I just use "distance from prime" it would in a way favour fighters with short primes since there wouldn't be any premium for staying on a high level for a long time. Any suggestions?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #28
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
That's why I put "point in career" in parenthesis next to it. May should make it clearer, though, but it's hard. If I just use "distance from prime" it would in a way favour fighters with short primes since there wouldn't be any premium for staying on a high level for a long time. Any suggestions?

Rather than having rules for judging abilities of the fighters in question, i'd just judge the as best you can based upon the info at hand.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #29
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Rather than having rules for judging abilities of the fighters in question, i'd just judge the as best you can based upon the info at hand.
Well, the abilities are in what they have achieved, with taking certain factors in account (age size, opposition, manner of win/loss etc).

Are you using criteria similar to those of Stonehands?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #30
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Damn, I came on to see Pachilles list but it hasn't happened yet. I'll come back in a few hours.
1) Sugar Ray Robinson
2) Muhammad Ali
3) Willie Pep
4) Sugar Ray Leonard
5) Pernell Whitaker
6) Roy Jones Jr
7) Roberto Duran
Salvador Sanchez
9) Marvin Hagler
10) Thomas Hearns

Joe Louis, Manny Pacquiao, Rocky Marciano, Jose Napoles, Ricardo Lopez could've all found themselves on here.
Pachilles is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum