Old 11-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #31
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: CHRIS BYRD is going to fight at CRUISERWEIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogge
After Vlad beat the holy crap out of him the second time, Byrd said the same thing, I'm going to fight at cruiser. But what did he do, he went right back to the heavies. He won't do it this time either, he wants to be #1 American heavy, and can't move "down". The guy should have been cruiser all along, he would have been more entertaining and had a higher KO ratio, but he's wants to be a star heavyweight, but his safety first style is too boring to be a star in the powerhouse division.
Snap you beat me to it
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #32
T.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think that's a smart move for Chris if he wants to continue his boxing career.
Good luck Chris Byrd!
T.S. is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #33
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding
When I'm in tip top shape, my weight is between 202-207.
Maybe you and Byrd should fight.

By the way, did you ever consider moving up to heavyweight?
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #34
maciek4
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Fighting the Klitshko`s? You could hardly call that fighting.He got pummeled on ALL occasions. His style at heavy was terrible because he didnt have the power to trouble ANYONE and as slippery as he was he only used to hen peck his way to boring decisions.He was essentially a heavyweight Cory Spinks who routinely stunk the joint out.If Chris had made his career at cruiser i believe he would have had an even more succesful career as a boxer and could have possibly challenged Evander as the greatest cruiser of all time.But he spunked it away at heavy getting beat up when it mattered most.

As for his weight.Chris fought as an Am at middleweight and ate his way into a heavyweight.He was never ever a true heavy. May be he couldnt make 190 well never know but either way he bypassed 3 divisions to go up to heavy so il beg to diffeer.
He was 168 for 1 fight when he was 23 years old, dont know why people think he bypassed 3 weight classes, he was over 200 from the 4th fight of his career and mostly fought between 215-220, 222 being his highest weight. I dont think he would be as succesful at cruiserweight, sure he would have success but dont think he would have more success than what he did at heavyweight, he would have more power but these guys would be faster than heavyweights so his counterpunching style would not be as effective.
maciek4 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #35
Ding
Champ
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Maybe you and Byrd should fight.

By the way, did you ever consider moving up to heavyweight?

Dude, I wanna be in exciting fights.
Ding is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #36
Tuavale
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Cool Re: CHRIS BYRD is going to fight at CRUISERWEIGHT

Byrd's been a heavy for so long I don't think he'd benefit by dropping weight. All he will be doing, if he does that, is reduce muscle mass that he has held for many years. Older fighter's rarely have success when moving down in weight. Jeremy Williams, a serviceable heavyweight, recently moved down to cruiser and barely eked out a win over a marginal guy. Byrd had a terrific career and was major over achiever but he should consider calling it a day.
Tuavale is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #37
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Byrd's been a heavy for so long I don't think he'd benefit by dropping weight. All he will be doing, if he does that, is reduce muscle mass that he has held for many years
Hell, he just fought at 211 and looked in shape against Povetkin. It wouldn't be hard to get to 200.

I'm going to take a little different perspective from most of these posts: I've always thought Byrd was more effective at heavyweight against bigger guys where he could use his elusiveness and speed to his advantage, and not really made for Cruiser or Lightheavyweight.

Byrd's counterpunching style was better suited to larger, slower boxers. I frankly don't think his style is suited to Cruiserweight. When he's forced to be an aggressor (Williamson, Oquendo) or faced with a guy who throws a lot of punches (A. Williams, Ike), he has trouble.

Cruiserweights are more mobile and generally more active in terms of punch output. Byrd's style doesn't play all that well at = or <200 lbs.

That said, at this late stage of his career, it isn't a horrible move to make. If he's going to keep fighting, he might not absorb as much heavy punishment as he would against bigger guys.

But, I don't think he beats any of the current Cruiserweight champs at this point. Would be interesting to watch him try, however.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #38
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If he follows through with this, i'd love to see him be on top of their for 2-3 years(than he would get some respect), than he should hang them up..
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #39
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Stout
I think that's a smart move for Chris if he wants to continue his boxing career.
Good luck Chris Byrd!
Indeed. This is really the ONLY logical move Byrd can make IF he wishes to continue to have a successful career.

If he stays at HW, he will likely be nothing more than a name opponent for up and coming prospects.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #40
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Chris would have been a great cruiserweight 4 years ago but age has sadly started to catch up with him, his last great performance was long ago, I would say his best chance of a decent winning future lies in the 190 pounds division, but as a champion it is a stretch.. Proud and very brave warrior , i'd feel more comfortable if he was to give it a rest and maybee train or motivate fighters , he is very inteligent and articulate.. what do y'all say.
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #41
NoCoolFool?
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1272

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
He was essentially a heavyweight Cory Spinks who routinely stunk the joint out.
I don't think there is a valid comparison there.
There is a difference between running away against a guy of a similar size and Byrd's ability to stand in front of big heavyweights and making them miss. Byrd was fearless. If he had one more attribute (power) he could have been the most dominant heavy of his generation
Comparisons of Byrd to hwt Toney or Whitaker I think more accurate.
NoCoolFool? is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #42
doom bull
Certified Limb Boner
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 108

Byrd vs. Jones just for the trainwreck.
doom bull is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum