Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #46
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Little kids can (and do) get black belts in martial arts. In a street fight I'd be far more wary of an amateur boxer with a few fights on their record than a black belt in karate
Squire is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #47
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: When someone tells you that the have a black belt in karate...do you laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockNapalm View Post
You can still be self disciplined without having to pour all your money into a dojo. Just buy some weights and run like crazy everyday. As for the hobby aspect of your argument. That's fine with me, ever one needs something to feel good about themselves and boost their confidence. But once somebody starts making claims about how they can kick your ass just because of their "hobby" then thats a different story. I knew this kid in my freshman year who was a black belt in karate (don't know what form). He had major short man's syndrome and was always talking about his black belt to compensate for it. I never really had a problem with it until he started talking shit to everybody as the year progressed. Finally I got fed up with him one day after he shoved me on the basketball court and just threw a huge haymaker to his face and knocked him out cold. I had no experience in boxing at the time either. The point of this whole thread to me is this: Yes there are guys out there who are bb's who can kick ass. But most just do the minimum amount of work and pay fees to get something (bb) to prove to others that they have self worth. I wouldn't laugh at somebody just because they have a bb. I would just think "Good for them, glad that they're not sitting their ass on the couch all day playing Halo like every other American seems to be doing these days". But once again that confidence of having a bb can get to their head and make them think that that they're an a full blown ass kicker when they're really not. THATS WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.
Well said...and yea I knew a kid in high school with a black belt who got his ass kicked as well...most be a ongoing theme.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #48
Tora
Estonian Cab Driver
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 100

karate is good for strengthening the body and self discipline unless you train in it all the time i wouldnt take it to seriously
Tora is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #49
jtajthomps

I think there is a selection bias here. I took karate for years as an adult, and the best fighters and best martial artists were not the ones that got into fights. Invariably the guys that had no humility and ran their mouths were the ones that got beat up. Whenever people would visit our place, the big talkers always sucked. It was the quiet guy that said he had trained 'a little' that would kick your ass. Really depends on the school and how they train.
jtajthomps is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #50
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

It serves some benefit. Gives you something good to do, works great on your flexibility, and I think you definitely hold a monstrous advantage over Joe Blow that drinks a 6 pack every night. Really though....Just eating properly you'd hold a monstrous advantage over that guy!
Against an untrained fighter I'd bet on the karate guy. Against a well trained fighter in some other discipline LOL! I used to do JKD, and my instructor trained for about 30 years. He was an ego maniac, and HATED KARATE! He'd purposely go out of his way to get guys with black belts, 10 years experience, etc, and soon as he'd get them to the gym want to see them spar him.
It was freakin sad to watch...Guys that were on the street seemed to do better than them cuz at least they knew what they were getting into. After the first punch/ backfist on the karate guy it was like you could see the confidence getting slapped off there face. After a sparring match with him most quit karate, and either joined up with him, or went to another form of martial arts.
What he did wasn't right by any means, but definitely proved that you train the way you fight, and the stuff your practicing better apply to real fighting. Sad thing is he was 50 years old, and these guys were like 25, and 30. I've boxed for about 7 years now, and his hands were still faster than mine.
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #51
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

I just ask them how much they got it for and fetch them to get me two.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #52
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Finally....some sensible respones...well we had some before...but stoo and his elk were polluting my thread,
Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #53
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Finally....some sensible respones...well we had some before...but stoo and his elk were polluting my thread,
I dont have an elk!
Apologise for spoiling your thread with a bit of respect and common decency. Have you been to your local dojo yet?
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #54
ShamrockNapalm
Rhythm Amongst The Chaos
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1344

Quote:
Well said...and yea I knew a kid in high school with a black belt who got his ass kicked as well...most be a ongoing theme.

To me it's almost like sending a soldier into battle and telling him that he doesn't need a gun because he's invincible. The soldier believes your lie, runs out into the field like nothing can stop him,and gets shot within the first couple seconds of being out there.
ShamrockNapalm is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #55
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockNapalm View Post
To me it's almost like sending a soldier into battle and telling him that he doesn't need a gun because he's invincible. The soldier believes your lie, runs out into the field like nothing can stop him,and gets shot within the first couple seconds of being out there.

I mean..i cant imagine how mentally demoralizing it would have to be to spend years doing a art....spending money on it....and then you get into a fight..and you find out.hey..this guy is going full contact..he is punching me in the face...he is throwing hooks...I have never seen those.....shit shit shit.....I mean...boxing isnt a street fight..and i know i could lose a street fight....but the boxing has at least shown me how to throw punches with good force....punches your average guy wont see...again...some karate forms that do a practical job of teaching some hand to hand...but what you get in america is mostley crap.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #56
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtajthomps View Post
I think there is a selection bias here. I took karate for years as an adult, and the best fighters and best martial artists were not the ones that got into fights. Invariably the guys that had no humility and ran their mouths were the ones that got beat up. Whenever people would visit our place, the big talkers always sucked. It was the quiet guy that said he had trained 'a little' that would kick your ass. Really depends on the school and how they train.

about the selection bias..could be some truth to that.....allthough usually the loud mouth asshole boxers i have known could at least street fight some...
Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #57
1HitterQuitter
RUTHLESS BY LAW
ESB Senior Member

why would i ? karate is pretty effective if u know what youre doing
1HitterQuitter is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #58
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

From my relatively little experience with Karate, I always got the impression that it was often viewed as the 'acceptable' martial art for mothers to send their children to, at least that was how it was in my local area. You don't get many parents send their kids to Muay Thai or even boxing for that matter (these days?). So there are bound to be a great number of kids who have little to no interest in real fights but get into Karate at an early age...which is a recipe for disaster if they do end up getting into a scrap. For those dojos without sparring you're gonna be like a fish out of water in a real fight regardless of your chosen fighting system.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #59
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I won't laugh at anyone unless I have a reason to not like them. But if they say 'black belt in karate' I'm going to kinda have a little chuckle to myself. 'What kind of karate?' I think to myself.

But yeah, doesn't make them a bad or stupid person, and they'll be better in a fight than someone who doesn't train at all.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #60
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum