Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
OklahomaHoss
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default The problem with boxing, and how to fix it (imo, anyway)

Im probably not going to be saying anything that everyone else hasn't said at one point or another, and if that's the case, then....okay. But here's what I think about the whole mess.

When you have an ancient, noble sport like boxing, a sport that has been around for centuries, bastardized by crooked promoters who are in the boxing business, but have no respect for the sport itself, then you have, as logically would follow, fighters who take up the sport with dollar signs in their eyes and nothing in their hearts.

We can all count without much difficulty, a number of what we might call "paycheck boxers". They may be fantastic boxers with wonderful skill, but a fan can tell if your heart is or isn't in it.

People like John L Sullivan and the other early greats did not choose to be fighters. The sport chose them.

Today, fights are made or not made because someone doesn't like the amount of money they're being offered. Well, okay, this is your job, I understand you need to do what's best for you and your family, but come on, enough is enough. Stop making your fans suffer for it.

We have who knows how many (certainly not me) different "alphabet" organizations that all profess to have champions, and no less than 4 that are recognized as being "prestigious" and I use that word loosely, because, lets face it, the shine on those 4 belts is beginning to fade as well, as we fans get more and more fed up with it.

We have fixed judgings, crooked promoters who are in bed with crooked politicians and physicians and "made" men. We have fighters who are awarded titles shots they have no business getting. We have wonderful fighters who toil away in virtual anonymity unless they get lucky and get seen ko'ing someone on TV.

How do we fix it?

Simple.

One organization. Just one. We adopt many of the same principles other sports have to aid in the fairness. Perhaps the use of instant replay to turn over the bad call of a referee who calls a kd when it never was (a certain superfeatherweight bout with Jay Nady comes to mind) or other instances.

The sport needs an elected figurehead. A commissioner, if you will. Perhaps a former fighter and trainer who knows what it's like in the ring and in the corner, that has been elected by popular vote, perhaps boxing fans, fighters, and so on could all vote.

There needs to be absolutely DIRE consequences for any proven crooked activity. And any suspected activity should be investigated ASAP. If a ref seemed to be angling a fight towards a favored fighter, polygraph his ass. And if he's not down with it, fire him. Period. Same with judges. Same with fighters and their corner teams that are suspected of cheating.

Yes, we test for steroids. At least we have that. But how is it decided who we'll test and who we wont? The rules need to apply to everyone.

And for god's sake, lets get rid of the incredibly tacky boxing outfits we see on occasion. They offend me as a boxing fan.

That's it for me. Just my two cents.

**edit**

Oh and fighters should be awarded their belts in their weight divisions based upon elimination results. I propose fighters be awarded a certain number of points for who they defeat. The higher a fighter is ranked, the more points you'd get for defeating him. And at the end of the year or boxing season if you will, you'll be ranked by points, unless you have the belt of course, then you'll be number one. Anyone can fight or challenge anyone else within a certain point range of where they themselves are. This way, Louis Monaco or Julius Long can't openly challenge Wladimir or Sam Peter until they've worked their way up the ladder.

If you challenge someone, then pull out, unless it's due to injury, which must be proven, you lose the points you'd have gained if you won the fight.

After a period of time, say nine months or so, the top ten fighters, point wise, would fight an elimination tourney. This goes for all the weight classes. At the end of your tourney, you have your champions.

By having a "boxing season" all professional boxers know that they must train and fight and use their time most efficiently to gain points. Fighting too often can lead to injury and not fighting often enough can lead to lack of points. So they and their teams are forced to utilize their time leading up to the tourney.

I'll edit again if I think of anything else.

Last edited by OklahomaHoss; 11-01-2007 at 07:38 PM.
OklahomaHoss is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
OklahomaHoss
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: The problem with boxing, and how to fix it (imo, anyway)

I really can't beleieve no one had an opinion on this.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

I like the points system you would like to have, I kinda agree on that. I think boxings popularity is built on the hype of the fighters, more so than there skills. I just think people want to see knockouts, so thats give the people the knockouts. Whayt do you think about having lighter gloves or excessive holding should have points taken away after the second warning, this would make for more exciting matches and probably more knockouts as well.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
OklahomaHoss
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
I like the points system you would like to have, I kinda agree on that. I think boxings popularity is built on the hype of the fighters, more so than there skills. I just think people want to see knockouts, so thats give the people the knockouts. Whayt do you think about having lighter gloves or excessive holding should have points taken away after the second warning, this would make for more exciting matches and probably more knockouts as well.

Well, I'll admit that I love to see a kayo as much as anyone. But if a fighter is holding because it's the smart thing to do, a la Wlad vs Peter, then you can't fault them for that. but if it's holding for sake of holding, a la John Ruiz vs Andrew Golota, then I have a problem with it.

I wouldn't want to put a fighter's safety at risk for the sake of making a match more exciting, but if it got to Davarryl Williamson vs Chris Byrd boredom proportions, I'd think that a points deduction would be warranted.

As far as the weight of the gloves, I think it should be a non issue. The important thing being that both fighters personally, not their trainers or camps, but the fighters themselves, each agree to it. I'd love to see Wlad and Tua go at it with 4oz gloves.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
mh2365

The way to cure boxing is to let John McCain run it.
mh2365 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaHoss
Well, I'll admit that I love to see a kayo as much as anyone. But if a fighter is holding because it's the smart thing to do, a la Wlad vs Peter, then you can't fault them for that. but if it's holding for sake of holding, a la John Ruiz vs Andrew Golota, then I have a problem with it.

I wouldn't want to put a fighter's safety at risk for the sake of making a match more exciting, but if it got to Davarryl Williamson vs Chris Byrd boredom proportions, I'd think that a points deduction would be warranted.

As far as the weight of the gloves, I think it should be a non issue. The important thing being that both fighters personally, not their trainers or camps, but the fighters themselves, each agree to it. I'd love to see Wlad and Tua go at it with 4oz gloves.
I think the big thing boxing needs to do is start appealing to the younger guys more, because there starting to lose them to the UFC. As much as some might agree with me, hyping the matches is very important in attracting the part time boxing fans. Guys like Tyson used hype to sell fights against the lowest of competition, people want to be shocked or at least see spectacular knockout.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
brimey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

For all HBO's and Showtime's griping about the sactioning bodies, I think they could bite the bullet, and spend an obscene amount of money getting legitimate champion in all the divisions. Take the #1 and #2 fighters in Ring magazine and offer them huge purses to fight for what the networks call the "legitimate championships". The fighters who don't want a part of it would be passed over for the #3 or etc fighter down the list and would face heavy critisism from the public making it difficult for them to refuse and continue to have respect and good standing in the sport among the fans. After legitimate champs are crowned in each weight class, the networks would have to then allow a truly independent source to track ratings and matchups. Fighters should be rewarded for fighting top competition (i.e should Miranda truly be dropped that far down a list of standings for a loss to Pavlik? Fighters need to be rewarded for accepting them kinds of fights, to encourage less one sided meaningless matchups) At the end o the day something like this will never happen because the truth is HBO is just like the sactioning bodies, their there to make money and more titles means more money in the short run. But I have NO doubts the biggest problem with the sport is lack of universally recognized champions. I can't think of another sport that would DARE have nothing but exhibitions basically without some sort of a drive to crown somebody as the best. Us boxing fans have to be the dumbest people on earth for accepting the current state of things, when in reality fights like Pavlik-Taylor, Calzaghe-Kessler, Mayweather-Hatton, should be the norm not something to be celebrated as different, but excpected from th people running the sport.
brimey is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #8
OklahomaHoss
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
I think the big thing boxing needs to do is start appealing to the younger guys more, because there starting to lose them to the UFC. As much as some might agree with me, hyping the matches is very important in attracting the part time boxing fans. Guys like Tyson used hype to sell fights against the lowest of competition, people want to be shocked or at least see spectacular knockout.

I can definitely agree to this, and to that end, I think we should give props to HBO for at least attempting it via the "NON-STOP" series they run with big fights. I look forward to watching the series about Hatton and Mayweather.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #9
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaHoss
I can definitely agree to this, and to that end, I think we should give props to HBO for at least attempting it via the "NON-STOP" series they run with big fights. I look forward to watching the series about Hatton and Mayweather.
I agree, as you know as well me if not more, I never see Wlad fights being hyped at all and hes supposed to be the face of HBO's heavyweight division? Im not a huge fan of Wlads, but I have never missed a match since he fought Bryd in 2000, and always wondered why he get any countdown shows.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
Manjanek
ESB Double Whopper
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1125

Here's another thing- Boxing is a poor man's sport. Up and coming boxers often times are from very urbanized areas and impoverished lifestyles. Also, the appeal is mainly to those in the blue collar situations as well. We need better coverage like they had back in the day on regularly televised stations. PPVs are killing us because back in the day Hagler - Hearns was on ABC or something (maybe not necesarily those fighters or that station). But now, we have to drop 50 bucks which to some might seem like chump change, but could make-or break some other fans. Bring championship bouts back to basic cable!
Manjanek is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Hagler-Hearns was on closed circuit TV.

The replay was on network TV.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
FROST
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Boxing is dying in the U.S. because too many big fights are on PPV and not accessible to the wide public.
Boxing got popular again in Germany because nearly every major TV station shows fights for free. There's a lot of boxing on german TV, some of the fights are good, some suck, but no matter they're watched by a lot of people, and not only hardcore boxing fans.

Last edited by Durain Dan; 08-27-2006 at 07:31 PM.
FROST is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #13
OklahomaHoss
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROST
Boxing is dying in the U.S. because too many big fights are on PPV and not accessible to the wide public.
Boxing got popular again in Germany because nearly every major TV station shows fights for free. There's a lot of boxing on german TV, some of the fights are good, some suck, but no matter they're watched by a lot of people, and not only hardcore boxing fans.

Excellent point, frost.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum