Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
Stone_Roberto
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Tyson vs Larry Holmes

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Yep, this video proves that no one who ever fought Tyson stood upto him and tried to hit him. That's why Tyson is over-rated.
Stone_Roberto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Ziggy Montana
The Butcher
ESB Addict

Default Re: Tyson vs Larry Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Roberto

Yep, this video proves that no one who ever fought Tyson stood upto him and tried to hit him. That's why Tyson is over-rated.
Sophism. Haven't you at least made the effort to assess the reasons why some of Tyson's opponents (those specifically who fought him while he was in his prime) were reluctant to take chances?

Moreover how does one short clip of one fight proves that "no one ever stood up to him and tried to hit him"?

Ludicrous...
Ziggy Montana is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

prime Homes wouldve beat Tyson...that was an old and shot Holmes there. Until he got too ****y the old man was having his way.
Larry would've beat prime Foreman too.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

I'm pretty sure this guy named James Douglas stood up to Tyson and tried to hit him. I'm having a little trouble remembering how that fight turned out, though
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Stone_Roberto
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

You mean the Tyson being trained by a team led by someone other than Kevin Rooney, a team so ****ing stupid they forgot to bring an endswell or teach Tyson head movement?
Stone_Roberto is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Ruddick stood up to Tyson and got beat, by TKO the one time and on the scorecards on the other.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

Quote:
You mean the Tyson being trained by a team led by someone other than Kevin Rooney, a team so ****ing stupid they forgot to bring an endswell or teach Tyson head movement?
All I said was Tyson got stood up to and hit.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
Fighting Weight
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I doubt that a 24 year old Tyson who had been undisputed champion of the world for a couple of years needed to be taught head movement by anyone, he knew all about head movement. The mistake the new team made was to allow him to get lazy and believe his own bullshit - Rooney wouldn't have allowed that to happen.

Tyson always has been and always will be his own worst enemy. It's tragic, I love watching him as a fighter, but I struggle to sympathise with him. Could have been the best ever, ended up practically broke and bowing out to Kevin McBride. Who'd have thought that could have happened back in 1988 eh?
Fighting Weight is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Fighting Weight
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Foquinha
prime Homes wouldve beat Tyson...that was an old and shot Holmes there. Until he got too ****y the old man was having his way.
I agree with that, up until the stoppage Holmes was handling Tyson pretty well but Holmes was overweight and undertrained, not to mention ring rusty. The fight always had a look of inevitability about it but as you say prime Holmes was a different proposition. Prime Holmes wouldn't definately beat Tyson but would have had a big advantage.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
SKULLSPLITTER
The CEO
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Hell yeah... I believe that Tyson himself admitted a prime Holmes could beat him.
SKULLSPLITTER is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #11
Fighting Weight
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULLSPLITTER
Hell yeah... I believe that Tyson himself admitted a prime Holmes could beat him.
There's a story behind that, Tyson said in the post fight interview that 'if he had been at his best I couldn't have stood a chance, he was a great fighter'

Truth was one of Tysons handlers ordered Tyson to give credit to Holmes should he beat him. Tyson hated Holmes and wanted to humiliate him if he won but he reluctantly agreed to say something nice about him in the post fight interview once he'd won. Of course Tyson being Tyson instead of just being respectful and not humiliating the guy he said what he did. Crazy character, as we all know.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Holmes wasn't having his way own, but he was doing well to limit Tyson's attacks. He focused exclusively on defense over the first 3 rounds. Moving, throwing out the odd jab, and holding Tyson when he dropped inside. No substitute for experience.

A prime Holmes would have beaten Tyson. Agreed.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Its easy to say that when you sit back in hindsight, but at the time imagine being #1 challenger knowing that every other man who fought him got demolished by him.. and you are more than likely going to be next.. Its daunting.

Tucker , Biggs were the first two to jab and dash with any effect and Larry used that as a blueprint.. The mistake he made was thinking that he could get physical at some point with Mike.. Douglas later utilised that jab and move style with added spice and a much larger desire to victor over Mike.. Where TNT , Biggs and Larry stood at distance , ouglas took intelligent chances to counter mike and make him feel like he couldn't intimidate James..

That was a big part of the key..

Ruddock tried it and just came up short..

Then Holyfield used the "HIT THE BULLY FIRST" approach that was most effective. Once everyone saw Mike closed down once he couldn't intimidate you, they took the game to him and many were succesful.. Danny W and Lewis.. (even though it was a jaded version by then) Mike was great while he had the aura but once that evaporated , he became one dimensional.. I love Mike and it broke my heart..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat
Its easy to say that when you sit back in hindsight, but at the time imagine being #1 challenger knowing that every other man who fought him got demolished by him.. and you are more than likely going to be next.. Its daunting.

Tucker , Biggs were the first two to jab and dash with any effect and Larry used that as a blueprint.. The mistake he made was thinking that he could get physical at some point with Mike.. Douglas later utilised that jab and move style with added spice and a much larger desire to victor over Mike.. Where TNT , Biggs and Larry stood at distance , ouglas took intelligent chances to counter mike and make him feel like he couldn't intimidate James..

That was a big part of the key..

Ruddock tried it and just came up short..

Then Holyfield used the "HIT THE BULLY FIRST" approach that was most effective. Once everyone saw Mike closed down once he couldn't intimidate you, they took the game to him and many were succesful.. Danny W and Lewis.. (even though it was a jaded version by then) Mike was great while he had the aura but once that evaporated , he became one dimensional.. I love Mike and it broke my heart..
Yeah but you just admitted it yourself, Ruddick stepped up to Tyson the bully and failed. Ruddick hit as hard if not harder than any other heavyweight he ever fought, he took Ruddicks best punch the "smash" and kept fighting. When he fought guys like Williams, Lewis, and Holyfield he was not the same fighter.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

your boy duran is whack LOL
tays001 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum