Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who Will The British Support?
Khan 156 80.41%
Maidana 38 19.59%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2775
Default Re: Will The British Support Khan Or Maidana To Win?

could go either way maidana ko khan ud i aint sure which one
ashishwarrior is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
royalt0208
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Amir Khan is the Olympic Silver medalists. His early career, was all over domestic TV, prime time television. Before he ever won any belt, he was having Millions watching him. He had to deal with the pressure of a Champion as soon as he turned professional, he was a household name as soon as he won his Olympic Silver medal at 17 years old.

A total enigma, his next Amatuer fight was on ITV for ****s sake.

David Haye did not have millions watching him in his early career. Amir Khan prob did bigger numbers when he fought Prescott, than David Haye when he fought Enzo mac.

Amir Khan has a bigger following than David Haye. Nobody on the street, most average joes did not know who David Haye was until his fight with Valuev, and still he is not as big as Amir Khan.

Amir Khan no matter who he fights, and no matter where he goes will have thousands who are willing to fly out and support him. His last fight against the "Magic Man" at the weigh in, it was like when Ricky Hatton went to the USA..........
Khan's reputation and following has tailed off badly since losing to Prescott and moving onto Box Office way too soon. You cannot compare Khan's following to Hatton's, Khan's American debut didn't even sell out a 5,000 arena in New York he did not take thousands he took a couple of hundred at best. Haye is definitely the better known nowadays, come back to me when Khan does 800,000 PPV Buys for a fight.
royalt0208 is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
The Rain Man

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalt0208 View Post
Khan's reputation and following has tailed off badly since losing to Prescott and moving onto Box Office way too soon. You cannot compare Khan's following to Hatton's, Khan's American debut didn't even sell out a 5,000 arena in New York he did not take thousands he took a couple of hundred at best. Haye is definitely the better known nowadays, come back to me when Khan does 800,000 PPV Buys for a fight.
Well David Hayes reputation and following could have tailed off badly since loosing to Carl Thompson. That being said I do agree that Khan going to Box office so early did affect his popularity to an extent, But the fact that he went to PPV so early shows the kind of popularity he enjoyed since before he turned professional.

Also I agree with you that Hatton took alot more fans to the US than Khan, But then again Im sure Khan took more people to New York than Haye took to Germany to fight Valuev.

Also that 800,000 PPV figure for Haye is worldwide ppv, Not just the UK. Khan alone had 800,000 people tune into his fight on ITV at 4am, The next day more people watched Khan -V- Malignaggi on replay than the FA cup. It was 1.6 million the next day.

A few more fights and Khan will be fighting on HBO PPV, Provided ofcourse he can get past Maidana, and thats still a big if. That being said I think Khan can do 800,000 PPV in the UK alone with the right promotion, Reason? There are 2 million Asians in the UK, Of which 1 million are ****stanis, So just going by that community alone and not even the majority of the population then he can do those numbers. Anyway time will tell.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #19
NoHomeJerome
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Maidana to lay Khan out, and early.

People are gonna look stupid when Khan gets stretchered out of there.
NoHomeJerome is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #20
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Khan all the way.

Btw Royalt is spot on. Haye has overtaken Khan in terms of his profile and drawing power, mainly because of the Heavyweight angle and Amir moving away from terestrial. Dave is certainly making more money than Khan now.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
The Rain Man

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHomeJerome View Post
Maidana to lay Khan out, and early.

People are gonna look stupid when Khan gets stretchered out of there.
Its possible, Thats what makes this such an interesting fight, Its two of the top 5 JWW fighting in thier primes and with the best corners and best promotors on the best cable networks and at the best venue.

Its not like Maidana is going to come to the fight and outbox Khan to get a UD, He is a one diamensional fighter with power and he will be looking for the knockout the whole fight, Whether he will KO Khan or Khan will UD Maidana we will know in a few months.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #22
The Rain Man

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Khan all the way.

Btw Royalt is spot on. Haye has overtaken Khan in terms of his profile and drawing power, mainly because of the Heavyweight angle and Amir moving away from terestrial. Dave is certainly making more money than Khan now.
Haye is surely making more money without question, Its heavyweight boxing and I believe he got paid $5 mil for the defence against John Ruiz, So you know why he isnt rushing to unify with the Klitschkos. Khan on the otherhand is only earning $2 mil for fighting Maidana, plus whatever he makes from the UK tv rights.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #23
royalt0208
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 895

I cannot be bothered to post back to every different opintion or cover every single point to prove my point so I will take a simple angle. It's a pretty well known fact that Khan hasn't done great business on Box Office why do you think he didn't manage to make a deal with Sky for the Mallignagi fight? Why mainly because he and his team are still living in the glory days of post Olympic glory and overvalue themselves hugely.

I might well be wrong, give or take on how many Khan fans went to Madison Square Garden all I know is that it sold 4,500 that evening and from what I read, saw and heard it wasn't swamped with Khan's fans in the same manner that happened with Hatton.
For Khan to get back to the level he was at before (or more rather where he should be now) he needs to take out Maidana in good style but also be back on the Sky hype machine, he also needs his next fight to be back in the UK to much fanfare.
royalt0208 is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #24
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'll support Maidana because I dislike Khan. Boxing is an individual sport. They are not representing their countries so there's no need to support the guy from Britain all the time.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #25
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

As said, comparing smaller guys with Heavweights with regards purses, PPV numbers, fanbase etc, is usually unfair.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #26
The Rain Man

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalt0208 View Post
I cannot be bothered to post back to every different opintion or cover every single point to prove my point so I will take a simple angle. It's a pretty well known fact that Khan hasn't done great business on Box Office why do you think he didn't manage to make a deal with Sky for the Mallignagi fight? Why mainly because he and his team are still living in the glory days of post Olympic glory and overvalue themselves hugely.

I might well be wrong, give or take on how many Khan fans went to Madison Square Garden all I know is that it sold 4,500 that evening and from what I read, saw and heard it wasn't swamped with Khan's fans in the same manner that happened with Hatton.
For Khan to get back to the level he was at before (or more rather where he should be now) he needs to take out Maidana in good style but also be back on the Sky hype machine, he also needs his next fight to be back in the UK to much fanfare.
Yeah he needs a good homecoming fight provided he can get past Maidana and like I said thats a big if, But lets say something like Khan -V- Witter in Reebok stadium in Bolton, Or LG Arena in Birningham where Frank ****** held that awesome card, Promote it properly and it should be good.

Anyway thats all based on if he gets passed Maidana
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #27
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
I'll support Maidana because I dislike Khan. Boxing is an individual sport. They are not representing their countries so there's no need to support the guy from Britain all the time.
I know its open to interpretation but IMHO pro boxers do represent their countries, that still doesn't mean you have to support them though.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #28
NoHomeJerome
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Khan has been a very poor seller of PPVS. I guess his first PPV being his brutal loss to Prescott didn't help. I wouldn't be suprised if Sky show this but not on box office - like they do Pacs fights etc.
NoHomeJerome is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Farmer Giles

vCash:

King Khan all the way on this one. To fast and much more skill than Maidana.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #30
hitandhope
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 989

Khan for me, good luck to the lad. He can win this fight easily (can also get KTFO, obviously).
hitandhope is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum