Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337
Default Could Zeljko Mavrovic last the distance with Joe Louis like he did with Lennox Lewis?

A Freudian slip of mine and IBīs reaction to it gave me the idea to this thread. Mavrovic, while clearly losing, gave a very brave effort against Lennox taking numerous clean power punches without even going down and never looked seriously hurt. IMO Lewis is punches harder than Louis. Louis is the superior combination puncher and better finisher though. Could Zeljko repeat the feat and last the distance with Louis or would Louis be able to stop him?

Personally, I think Louis could do it. He has a higher workrate and would land many clean punches in bunches where Lennox only landed one punch at a time. I expect to see Mavrovic at one time beeing cornered on the ropes eating combination after combination while beeing barely able to defend himself. The ref would step in and end it right there. Louis TKO9 Mavrovic.

Whatīs your take on it?
bodhi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Zeljko Mavrovic last the distance with Joe Louis like he did with Lennox Le

Mavrovic showed a great chin. He has some skill, and a solid enough right hand. Sure he could have gone the distance with Joe Louis.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Meast

vCash: 900
Default Re: Could Zeljko Mavrovic last the distance with Joe Louis like he did with Lennox Le

Did Mavrovic fight any other big punchers apart from Lewis?

From what I can remember about that fight, he took a lot of huge single shots but not too many combinations/body shots.
Meast is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Tough fighters who weren't too brave are the most difficult to stop and Mavrovic was one of them. If he felt the power, he would be throwing almost single digits, atleast that's the way he fought against Lewis. He could potentially go the distance with Louis that way, but 15 rounds is a long way to go and Louis's attack is more consistent than Lewis's.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Ponysmallhorse
Small but proud
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1419

mavrovic would have to throw three times more to stay alive. If you are passive against Louis you are dead. He will time you with the right hand and when he land(and he will) he wont let his grip go.
Ponysmallhorse is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Tough fighters who weren't too brave are the most difficult to stop and Mavrovic was one of them. If he felt the power, he would be throwing almost single digits, atleast that's the way he fought against Lewis. He could potentially go the distance with Louis that way, but 15 rounds is a long way to go and Louis's attack is more consistent than Lewis's.
Yeah, and if you're a vegetarian, you might as well not bother trying (I heard Mav was a vegetarian). Anyway, Pongsak- I mean, I think he's got a fair enough chance to go the distance but more likely Louis gets in and lands too much. I do agree with Bodhi that for single shots, Lewis is likely the harder puncher but the way Louis fires them, hard enough as they are, it probably spells doom for this guy who never really "made it" in the sport, even though he showed his promise. Anybody know what happened to him? I thought I recalled Manny Steward say Mav got ill in some way and decided to stop fighting.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Yeah, and if you're a vegetarian, you might as well not bother trying (I heard Mav was a vegetarian). Anyway, Pongsak- I mean, I think he's got a fair enough chance to go the distance but more likely Louis gets in and lands too much. I do agree with Bodhi that for single shots, Lewis is likely the harder puncher but the way Louis fires them, hard enough as they are, it probably spells doom for this guy who never really "made it" in the sport, even though he showed his promise. Anybody know what happened to him? I thought I recalled Manny Steward say Mav got ill in some way and decided to stop fighting.
Yep, he got a serious illness dropping many pounds and looked like a skeleton. He got better though and started his own business in Serbia, something with vegetarian food if I remember right, and is doing very well with it.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Yep, he got a serious illness dropping many pounds and looked like a skeleton. He got better though and started his own business in Serbia, something with vegetarian food if I remember right, and is doing very well with it.
It's nice to hear of one of them actually doing good later in life. As opposed to "He made 2.5 million dollars but invested poorly, losing it all in a camel stud farm venture, went to prison for assaulting a mime for several years and is now addicted to paint and living in a large walk-in freezer." Gets depressing.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
It's nice to hear of one of them actually doing good later in life. As opposed to "He made 2.5 million dollars but invested poorly, losing it all in a camel stud farm venture, went to prison for assaulting a mime for several years and is now addicted to paint and living in a large walk-in freezer." Gets depressing.
Yep. I made a mistake though. Croatia not Serbia. I always mix up those former Yugoslavian republics.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He probably could. Mavrovic was definitely one of the most mobile heavies of the 90's, and he was tall. He reminded me of a 80's heavy that refused to mix it up.
When fighters come to survive like he did in the Lewis fight, they can go the distance. I dont think Mavrovic made a good account of himself, he did enough to keep Lewis off of him and lose. You gotta put yourself in a position to win to make a good account of yourself. Mavrovic didnt, he came to survive and not get hurt. Mavrovic was croation?
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Yes. I ddint read this before I posted, but I agree. Mavrovic fits the bill.
lefthook31 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum