Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Nelson, Piper and McCrory...So long, farewell, auf weidersen, goodbye...!
Yes... See you later lads, time for Jamie and Ryan to fly the flag. 19 59.38%
No, we need the variety that Nelson, Piper and McCrory... 13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Moore and Rhodes to replace Nelson, Piper and McCrory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
thats a good point, showtime do something along them lines

Lets not start comparing Sky to Showtime, thats only going to end badly!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico
vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Lets not start comparing Sky to Showtime, thats only going to end badly!!
no comparison intended
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #18
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
thats a good point, showtime do something along them lines
It helps for a lot of reasons. The 15 mins can build the stories of these fighters, we might know about them but the average guy wouldn't, and 2 mins of highlight reels with Ed Smith talking over the top does little to build up their story. Surely Sky want to promote the fighters appearing on their show with a view to showing them again in the future?

It also builds anticipation for the fight, I love seeing Atlas' gameplans thing...it gets me pumped for the fight. At the moment in the current format there is no time, its rushed and sloppy and lacks class and whoever the pundits are I don't think it makes a difference because they have 30 seconds to speak anyway.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
It helps for a lot of reasons. The 15 mins can build the stories of these fighters, we might know about them but the average guy wouldn't, and 2 mins of highlight reels with Ed Smith talking over the top does little to build up their story. Surely Sky want to promote the fighters appearing on their show with a view to showing them again in the future?

It also builds anticipation for the fight, I love seeing Atlas' gameplans thing...it gets me pumped for the fight. At the moment in the current format there is no time, its rushed and sloppy and lacks class and whoever the pundits are I don't think it makes a difference because they have 30 seconds to speak anyway.
But then we'd have people saying "why didn't they show more of the undercard fights instead of those cunts banging on?".
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #20
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
But then we'd have people saying "why didn't they show more of the undercard fights instead of those cunts banging on?".
They only need to make the show 15 minutes longer to at least build it up at the beginning. Cut into the fishing at midnight.

There is no excuse in my opinion, Sky do a fantastic job building up football matches, they took it to a new level (except Jamie Redknapp). It doesn't have to be anything like that good but it should be comparable to American counterparts, its not hard.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #21
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO MAS View Post
I take it that's a no then... You are happy with the way things are...
I like Johnny Nelson, we also need Barry Mcguigan sp*, and Steve Bunce. That would be my prefered bunch of pundits.........
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #22
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:

I agree - Atlas does a great job with the tactics before the fight. I think Sky should get on some of the good trainers in the studio and involved in build-up video clips, perhaps Oliver Harrison, Rob McCracken, Jimmy Tibbs or Harry Hawkins (who commentated in Setanta Ireland's coverage of Frampton's last fight and was excellent)....

*In response to the poll in this thread, I think Moore and Rhodes are nice guys but I dont want them as pundits every week. I prefer a blend of experienced pundits, trainers, and experienced ex-boxers or journos on the panel. Colin Hart, McGuigan, Buncey and one of the aforementioned trainers...
gasman is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I agree with Gasman, I've said before just get a pool of a dozen or so guys and keep mixing and matching them to keep things fresh.

TFFP, people would soon forget what that 15 minutes was initially for and start complaining...:O)
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

I think this sloppy ass complacent presentation makes boxing look shit. I wonder if the average viewer even realizes the importance of the British title to these fighters? I doubt they do, why would they? If for every football match they turned up, said 2 lines, a highlight reel with a few goals was shown with Richard Keys talking over the top and then they walked out of the tunnel how much would that build up and promote football as a sport? The Premiership wouldn't be anything like the brand it is now.

Presentation is important in anything, and Sky do a piss poor job in the boxing. It doesn't even have to be as good as HBO or Showtime, they should just make an effort. As Gasman said, why not get a guest pundit in, a trainer, as they do in football analyzing the fight? It's not rocket science that.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #25
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I think this sloppy ass complacent presentation makes boxing look shit. I wonder if the average viewer even realizes the importance of the British title to these fighters? I doubt they do, why would they? If for every football match they turned up, said 2 lines, a highlight reel with a few goals was shown with Richard Keys talking over the top and then they walked out of the tunnel how much would that build up and promote football as a sport? The Premiership wouldn't be anything like the brand it is now.

Presentation is important in anything, and Sky do a piss poor job in the boxing. It doesn't even have to be as good as HBO or Showtime, they should just make an effort. As Gasman said, why not get a guest pundit in, a trainer, as they do in football analyzing the fight? It's not rocket science that.
Ed Robinson was saying over at boxrec that he spends all week making those videos - he wont be happy with your feedback (But, you make an excellent comparison with the football).

I will tread the middle ground - lets keep the videos but follow up with real analysis of both fighters and tactics - done by a top trainer
gasman is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #26
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Ed Robinson was saying over at boxrec that he spends all week making those videos - he wont be happy with your feedback (But, you make an excellent comparison with the football).

I will tread the middle ground - lets keep the videos but follow up with real analysis of both fighters and tactics - done by a top trainer

I don't actually mind the videos...they're good to open the show. It's just on its own its like having potatoes with no meat.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #27
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

TFFP has got it spot on. Unless if it's a local fighter participating the general public don't seem interested in domestic boxing. That's cos it's presented as cheap and worthless which is definitely not the case.

I like Gasman/Gaz's idea about rotating the panels. They should get a few trainers on there, maybe potential future opponents. Like they had Clev in the studio when Bellew was fighting. More journos need a look in as well. Maybe Buncey once a month, Tris Dixon, Kevin Mitchell etc.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Kevin Mitchell would just be slating everybody.

He's my hero for telling it how it is with Andrew Flintoff btw
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #29
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I don't actually mind the videos...they're good to open the show. It's just on its own its like having potatoes with no meat.
Here is the most salient part of Ed's post:

"Editing takes much, much longer than many would imagine so there is a lot of work that goes into the shows. It's ironic that the couple of debates that we've done on Ringside seem to have been so popular because they are actually very easy to produce. It's much more time consuming to spend a day directing a cameraman with Sam Webb, a day with Martin Concepcion in Leicester then a day looking through all your tapes and logging them, digging old fights out the library, writing scripts and then sitting in an edit suite for hours. All to make a few minutes of TV. That's my job in the week and it's wonderful but I am just an employee."
gasman is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #30
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Here is the most salient part of Ed's post:

"Editing takes much, much longer than many would imagine so there is a lot of work that goes into the shows. It's ironic that the couple of debates that we've done on Ringside seem to have been so popular because they are actually very easy to produce. It's much more time consuming to spend a day directing a cameraman with Sam Webb, a day with Martin Concepcion in Leicester then a day looking through all your tapes and logging them, digging old fights out the library, writing scripts and then sitting in an edit suite for hours. All to make a few minutes of TV. That's my job in the week and it's wonderful but I am just an employee."
Essentially, what I'm asking for, is more of what they do on Ringside on fight night so it shouldn't be hard according to him. Ed can have all week fiddling around with videos if he desires, and infact he's an important part of what I mentioned in building up the stories of these fighters

All they need is boxing people talking about boxing. They don't need scripts or prep work for that, is Teddy reading off a script? Very doubtful
TFFP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum