Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
AK1
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Roy Jones interview on Haye, Woods and retirement and UK tour dates.

There seems to be a few people asking how long Roy Jones is in the uk and where they can see him etc, so if you want see him ...

Tuesday 19th Derby
Wednesday 20th Rotherham
Thursday 21st Brighton
Friday 22nd London
Saturday 23rd Newark
Sunday 24th Doncaster

For me - Whatever you say about him now- he was one of the greatest of all time, fantastic to watch in his prime.
Here is the video of Roy saying he earned his legacy so he has earned the right to decide when he stops, and also discusses the possibility of fighting David Haye or Clinton Woods in the UK before calling it a day.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
AK1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Default Re: Roy Jones interview on Haye, Woods and retirement and UK tour dates.

Buncey said something about him doing a masterclass at the Real Fight Club, anyone know when this is?
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Roy Jones interview on Haye, Woods and retirement and UK tour dates.

Quote:
he was one of the greatest of all time,
Not with that resume he's not. Too much of his prime fighting very poor opposition.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Uppercut

Jones was good and just happened to hit an era when there was not great competition about, but he was never in any great memorable fights, and never in the same league as Hagler, Leonard, Hearns or Duran.
Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
ryanm8655
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3731

HE needs to retire but wouldn't begrudge him fighting woods.

He's right about the going back down to lhw destroying him. Should've gone to cruiser or stayed at heavy. Or after he beat tarver stepped back up immediately to cruiser. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

Could he have beat Ruiz without putting on 20 pounds or so?
ryanm8655 is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Not with that resume he's not. Too much of his prime fighting very poor opposition.
Wins over Toney and McCallum were top-notch, beat a pre-prime B-Hop with one hand, and the pure dominance he displayed demonstrated that he was one of the top 50 fighters of all time IMO.

Don't class his Heavyweight exploit(singular) up with the likes of Ezzard Charles', Mickey Walkers or Harry Greb. He's not one of the all-time greatest, but a true H2H force IMO and definitely one of the top 50.

Certainly done more than Floyd anyway
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Wins over Toney and McCallum were top-notch, beat a pre-prime B-Hop with one hand, and the pure dominance he displayed demonstrated that he was one of the top 50 fighters of all time IMO.

Don't class his Heavyweight exploit(singular) up with the likes of Ezzard Charles', Mickey Walkers or Harry Greb. He's not one of the all-time greatest, but a true H2H force IMO and definitely one of the top 50.

Certainly done more than Floyd anyway
I understand the pros, but I need to look at what he did holistically - and his LHW run was pitiful. Some decent names, but the loss to Griffin (justified even if he was coming on - it was a flagrant foul) and his lacklustre efforts following make it hard to rate his so highly. Losses to Tarver, Johnson and his recent decline make it very hard to hold him in such high regard.

Great fighters find a way to compete even when in decline, Jones just came apart.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
BodyBlaster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
Jones was good and just happened to hit an era when there was not great competition about, but he was never in any great memorable fights, and never in the same league as Hagler, Leonard, Hearns or Duran.
Hell yes he was.
I think he was more athletically gifted than all of them, and would have had a very good chance against any of them, and I love all the 4 fighters you mentioned.
Dont forget how good Jones was.
BHop, Toney, McCallum etc werent even competitive with him
BodyBlaster is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
BodyBlaster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I understand the pros, but I need to look at what he did holistically - and his LHW run was pitiful. Some decent names, but the loss to Griffin (justified even if he was coming on - it was a flagrant foul) and his lacklustre efforts following make it hard to rate his so highly. Losses to Tarver, Johnson and his recent decline make it very hard to hold him in such high regard.

Great fighters find a way to compete even when in decline, Jones just came apart.
When a fighter like Jones or Tysons reflex and speed diminishes, its the end, as its what their whole style was based on.
Jones at his peak was as good as anything Ive ever seen.
BodyBlaster is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2000

What's with all these American boxers touring and plundering England?They must be making money somehow.They wouldn't draw flies here for an autograph session.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyBlaster View Post
When a fighter like Jones or Tysons reflex and speed diminishes, its the end, as its what their whole style was based on.
Jones at his peak was as good as anything Ive ever seen.
You can't rate someone based on something they never showed. We never saw Jones come back from adversity. How can he be "great"?

It maybe wasn't his fault he was so much better than his opposition, but you also have to accept he fought in a mediocre era. And he failed to fight the guys who would have been a challenge (Benn, Eubank, Collins). He never rematched Hopkins even when it made sense and Hopkins was willing.

Worst of all you need to take into account the final fights at his prime: a disputed win over Tarver, a brutal KO loss in the rematch and to Johnson (who you could argue would have always given him problems stylistically).

After that there’s a further embarrassing points loss to Tarver and then non-descript wins over Hanshaw and Trinidad. His loss to Calzaghe was pitiful – truly painful to watch.

Now, I like Jones in general, but his status as an ATG is hard to defend. He’s a very good fighter. Certainly one of the best of the modern era, but he lacked the quality of Leonard or Hagler in the latter part of his career.

It’s a personal thing I guess, but I don’t rate fighters on potential. I rate them on achievement. Jones had some good wins early on in his career, but in his ‘prime’ he seemed unwilling to look for challenges until he had no other option.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
Triplesod
Drunk& pissed up on booze
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK1 View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Ahh! I like that! Roy speaking there about our own Bobby Fitzsimmons!!

I have a hell of a lot of respect for RJJ. There is just something about him that differs from your typical boring, witless, ignorant, obnoxious, arrogant, posturing American boxers of the past 10-20 years.

I really do like him.

EDIT: I'm certainly seeing age on his face now, though.
Triplesod is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Jones WAS a great fighter in the 90's. A definite great. There are some fighters that are just special and memorable, and Jones was certainly one of them. I think his record is just about good enough too, certainly there should be no qualms about him making a top 100. To beat any versions of Hopkins/Toney so comfortably shows how special he was. He's rather tarnished it though, despite most of us knowing he's been past it for ages it leaves a sour taste the way he's gone on.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Roy Jones was the greatest boxer to ever step inside the ring "In the recorded history of the sport", in terms of co-ordination, and technical skill, and pure athletic ability.

He's up there with Michael Jordon, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Tiger Woods, Carl Lewis.

Totally redefining an art.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
Triplesod
Drunk& pissed up on booze
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Roy Jones was the greatest boxer to ever step inside the ring "In the recorded history of the sport", in terms of co-ordination, and technical skill, and pure athletic ability.

He's up there with Michael Jordon, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Tiger Woods, Carl Lewis.

Totally redefining an art.
You realise you just named a load of Americans (minis Bolt) as complete genius' of their field??

Do something about that, you Scouse bastard!!!

Triplesod is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum