Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #16
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Mayweather wouldn't get in the ring with Cotto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
It's true, though - Mayweather likes to pick fights that he can win.

He wants to appeal to the casual fan, which is why he picked DLH and Hatton. EVERYONE cares about DLH, so it was a huge fight, and Hatton has enough fanboys here in the US that their fight is going to be huge as well.

His goal is to be become a household name like Tyson, even if it isn't because he's the best fighter in the world. That, and making money, is why he picked DLH and Hatton.

He's P4P #1 in the world today hands-down, but some see through his bullshit. He's an underacheiver in disguise.

Well i'm a Hatton fan and i'm completley neutral as regards to Mayweather. I want Hatton to win the fight, but I can't help but think that he only took this fight because it dosen't look as bad losing to the no.1 p4p fighter in the world than it does losing to your hated rival in Junior Witter.

Now, personally I think Hatton would wipe the floor with Witter, but maybe Hatton has realised that this is gonna be his biggest earning fight? Why would he risk fighting a Malignaggi or Witter when he can earn loads more fighting Mayweather.
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #17
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smazz20
Well i'm a Hatton fan and i'm completley neutral as regards to Mayweather. I want Hatton to win the fight, but I can't help but think that he only took this fight because it dosen't look as bad losing to the no.1 p4p fighter in the world than it does losing to your hated rival in Junior Witter.

Now, personally I think Hatton would wipe the floor with Witter, but maybe Hatton has realised that this is gonna be his biggest earning fight? Why would he risk fighting a Malignaggi or Witter when he can earn loads more fighting Mayweather.
Exactly. This is essentially win-win for Hatton, as long as he avoids the blowout and/or getting stopped by PBF.

Losing your 0 to PBF isn't the worst thing in the world, after all - it's the shit-talking afterwards that will be
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #18
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by compukiller
DLH is a bigger risk than Cotto.
You gotta be f'ing kidding me. How do you figure?
cardstars is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #19
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
Exactly. This is essentially win-win for Hatton, as long as he avoids the blowout and/or getting stopped by PBF.

Losing your 0 to PBF isn't the worst thing in the world, after all - it's the shit-talking afterwards that will be
True. But this is where I see your point. Mayweather will be so full of himslef after this fight that he'll be even more hated. Hatton is far from the biggest threat to Mayweather, so he shouldn't be fighting him next. Mayweather could be fighting a proper welter and if in 2-3 fights time, both he and Hatton are still undefeated, THEN would be the time to make the fight.
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #20
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by compukiller
DLH is a bigger risk than Cotto.
When was the last time DLH broke somebody's face?
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #21
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smazz20
True. But this is where I see your point. Mayweather will be so full of himslef after this fight that he'll be even more hated. Hatton is far from the biggest threat to Mayweather, so he shouldn't be fighting him next. Mayweather could be fighting a proper welter and if in 2-3 fights time, both he and Hatton are still undefeated, THEN would be the time to make the fight.
Mayweather likes hatred, though. "Any press is good press".

It's not about the biggest threat, it's about the biggest payday/name. Hatton is a big name that brings a big payday.

It also has to be considered that Mayweather isn't getting any younger. Hatton may not be much younger, but the older Mayweather gets, the bigger chance he has of losing this fight.

He wants to retire undefeated.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Cotto is the only guy I see out there who can beat Mayweather. The difference would be Cotto's massive upper body strength and pressure. He would end up mauling Mayweather in close and smothering him.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #23
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
Cotto is the only guy I see out there who can beat Mayweather. The difference would be Cotto's massive upper body strength and pressure. He would end up mauling Mayweather in close and smothering him.
Exactly. Hatton may have the style to beat Mayweather, but he's too small.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #24
Illmatic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

the biggest paydays usually come against the best fighters. Thats why any big fight happens.
Illmatic is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #25
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I sincerely hope that Cotto beats Mayweather if and when they fight. I like Cotto, he's a decent sort of guy, real low-keyed that dosen't talk smack unlike Floyd, and I'll probably cheer myself hoarse (even if I'm not watching it live) for Cotto. It just occured to me that, like Radianttwilight says, Hatton is too small to beat Floyd, but Miguel is bigger and stronger, and makes Castillo look like a pantywaist in terms of strength and pressure.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #26
igotJUIC3
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1368

Cotto woldnt be able to catch Floyd. Floyd would not let him get remotely close enough to deliver a very solid body shot period.
igotJUIC3 is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #27
Alo2006
R.I.P Sean Taylor
ESB Addict

If Cotto can get past Mosley, he will fight Mayweather. Mosley will win next week though, so it's wishful thinking at best
Alo2006 is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #28
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
upper body strength!?! coralles,castillo,oscar and baldimer all out weighed floyd by 15 ponds all were stronger but none them were smarter. Cotto is not stronger then oscar at 154 or 160 which what floyd beat oscar. In short, cotton going to need more then upper body strength and presure to win .
pit is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum