Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #91
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2650
Default Re: K2 and the contracts offered to various fighters......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenata View Post
But it sounds a bit like that to be honest.

1. Povetkin had already signed a contract without telling anything negative when he had his first shot (where he got injured before the fight). Then he got the second shot, did not sign because of blablabla and some days later his coach tells that Povetkin is by far not ready to fight a Klitschko. Sorry but that sounds like ducking and not a bad contract.

2. Valuev was offered a carrer high purse (more that he ever earned when he had a belt and now he is without) and he refused. I think it was 2,5 Million Euro.

3. As for the "Haye 50/50 no option offer", many different sources told about that and I don´t think that is a bad offer/contract.

Of course the Klitschkos and/or Bernd Boente are businessmen and try to earn as much money as possible (who wouldn´t) but I think at the moment it´s just en vogue to talk bullshit about the contracts. For sure it´s easier than admitting that they don´t want to fight a Klitschko...
What about comments from guys who've already fought them?
There's 12 guys on that list with various issues.

Again I repeat, it's not about what a fighter gets paid, it's about his % of the pot.

Let me put it this way.
Total Pot - $5 million, contender gets $1 million, 20%, probably not an issue.
Total Pot - $10 million, contender gets $1 million, 10%, starting to look a little low.
Total Pot - $20 million, contender gets $1 million, 5% etc

Not only that should the fighter win he still has to fight in Germany for another 2 fights with K2 dictating the terms??? This is fair???
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #92
CHEF
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
Just added, Chris Byrd, does this sound fair to you?

“Like I said, the politics and business of boxing, it was a great time in my boxing career to win the title but then I had to go with the business and politics of boxing. Really, if you’re not at the top level and going through stuff, you really don’t know what’s going on behind the backdoor with negotiating and how they plan and want to put people in certain situations. It wasn’t for me to be WBO champion at that time, so of course, from the fight with Vitali to Wladimir there was so much negotiating that was going on that was terrible. It wasn’t in my favor and they forced me to fight Wladimir in my very next fight. It wasn’t really deserved, I don’t think and I waited. He had two fights and an exhibition in that whole time. They wouldn’t allow me to have an exhibition or do nothing. I mean, he had an exhibition like three weeks before we fought and I’m like, ‘This is crazy’. But the Germans were the lead promoters and that’s their fighter, and when you understand what goes on, like I said with the business side and the business decisions, which favors the Germans so I was told I still have to fight. I go in and fight, he beat me really bad—I mean it was bad. More power to him.”
thats was the first fight with Byrd. The brothers were not the promoter at that time

funny how chris doesnt mention the 2nd fight...when Chris wanted to fight wlad but DK said no...so Chris asked the brothers for help to get out of the DK contract.... the brothers paid the bill for court and Chris' lawyers. Chris also got 10% of wlads next 3 fights after Wlad beat him in the second fight........ all of these guys say contracts suck because they know they wont win...so they want to try and get as much cash as they can
CHEF is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #93
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF View Post
thats was the first fight with Byrd. The brothers were not the promoter at that time
But they were picking up pointers and learning the promotion game weren't they?

So all 12 fighters (including those who DID fight them) that are saying the contracts suck is because they won't win?

What about the promoters/trainers/managers who have been in the business for many years who are saying the same?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #94
bremen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
What about the promoters/trainers/managers who have been in the business for many years who are saying the same?
I am sure Don King, Arum and GoldenBoy offer fair and impartial opinion on K2 business practices.
bremen is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #95
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158

Quote:

So all 12 fighters (including those who DID fight them) that are saying the contracts suck is because they won't win?

Not all of those 12 fights were optional defenses and you can't ask for options on a Mandatory fight. Period. That is the whole purpose of having a mandatory. Some of these claims are not adding up.
Rico Spadafora is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #96
vonBanditos
Mσderator
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3818

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF View Post

funny how chris doesnt mention the 2nd fight...when Chris wanted to fight wlad but DK said no...so Chris asked the brothers for help to get out of the DK contract.... the brothers paid the bill for court and Chris' lawyers. Chris also got 10% of wlads next 3 fights after Wlad beat him in the second fight........ all of these guys say contracts suck because they know they wont win...so they want to try and get as much cash as they can
CHEF, quick question: how involved are the brothers in the actual promotion process? My impression of Golden Boy is that the fighters are really just the celebrity faces and the real promotional magic is being performed by guys like Schaefer. Is it the same with K2?
vonBanditos is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #97
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestbiggles View Post
the bit i don't understand about the rematch clause is why they get the other brother involved. sure, if you are defending your belt then sure put a rematch clause in. but not for another boxer.

the fact that they are brothers is irrelevant. what would you all have said if Amir Khan had said to Maidana; "If you beat me, then you have to fight Bradley then Amir again." Its exactly the same. its stupid.

of course, if you become the champ then you will want to fight for the other belts, but at your own pace. you might want to fight a mandatory first, or a voluntary defence. slave contracts really sums it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flama Blanca View Post
rematch causes againt the brother are unreasonable.
Yea, that's dodgy. The purse split is all debatable, and to be fair a lot of their opponents have a far higher opinion of themselves than anyone else does- of course James Toney doesn't deserve a large percentage of the purse. But more than one rematch clause is pretty shocking, and they should cut that shit out. Its not like they need it
Squire is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #98
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
K2 and the contracts offered to various fighters......
That's business in the heavyweight division - learn the biz. Go back over the past 20+ years and anytime you fight the champ you're gonna give up options on future fights (unless you're in a mandatory situation). Don King was notorious for this, the German promoters are no different.

K2 worked their butts off to get Don Kong, Bob Arum, everybody else out of the way in the heavyweight division - it took years. Now they want to ensure they keep their grip on it. Their options are more about dealing with other promoters, than they are about opponents and money. If Chisora, Toney or any of those others cats are unhappy about contracts - they should EARN a mandatory shot and then they'll be garunteed a certain amount of $$$ and no options. Or else, shut the **** up.

For example, the Solis-Austin winner will be garunteed a certain percentage of the purse when they fight Vitali and the contract will be per WBC rules, not K2 Promotions or anybody else. There will be no options.

The IBF is trying to do a four man tourney to determine Wlad's mandatory and fools keep bitching out of it. If these "slave" contracts are so awful, why not go into this tourney and win it to avoid any options and garuntee a certain percentage of the purse?

Exactly.
Montero is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #99
rayhogan
Dont worry Pac, you wont
East Side VIP

Quote:
You're powers of debate are ****ing useless as always.
Seriously, compare the names you just put up to the 11 I put up.

Oh and how do you know they didn't have a problem? Did you even read the Chris Byrd link? Obviously not, if you can't be arsed reading my input just **** off.
I read what Chris Bryd said. But i guess you don't read correctly cause i said most of those fighters you mention not name Lewis hasn't done anything great in the heavyweight division. Back in 2000 Bryd was a nobody in which i bet before he fought Vitali he got payed 20,000 per fights. Now the rest of the fighters like Mo, Adamek, Dim, Povetkin? lol come on man seriously. Chisora complain about it but the funny is ****** even said he don't know why Haye refuse to do a 50/50 split with no options lol.
rayhogan is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #100
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

and I have to laugh at James Toney complaining about paydays he was never a box office draw and Goosen recently gave an interview where he said the best fight he could get Toney is for 50k right now because the guy has completely let himself go and nobody takes him seriously anymore.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #101
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

the way i see it they are the big swinging dicks in the division and can do what they like untile someone beats them.

if i was seen head and shoulders above everyone else id offer them peanuts as well.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #102
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:

It seems that K2 offers fighters a little more than they'd get in a mandatory purse bid (see the Povetkin offer for example). So let's say you might get $1.8M in a mandatory fight, they'll offer you $2.2M in an optional defense fight (but with options). So you make a little more, but you have to give options on your next 2 or 3 fights. This is VERY typical business in the heavyweight division (one of Dan Rafeal's latest blogs went over this) and for a lot of these contenders it's not a bad deal.

Take Chisora for example. Let's say he somehow beats Wlad in December. He'll be the linear HW champ of the world and his very next fight will be with the consensus #2, Vitali, for "all the marbles" so to speak. His payday would increase dramatically in that fight. Win or lose against Vitali, his very next fight would be a rematch with Wlad - which again would make him millions and virtually set him for life. He's being given this offer and he only has 14 pro fights - and he COMPLAINS? Are you ****ing kidding me? This guy will never, NEVER get another opportunity like this. It's not like they are gonna give you "Don King" options where you end up fighting John Ruiz 500 times for an interim WBA belt. If anything, you're garunteed three straight fights for the linear, undisputed championship of the world. Not too ****ing shabby!

The only real difference if you earn a mandatory shot is that there are no options. But if you take Solis for example - he should get by Austin and be Vitali's mandatory, right? Undoubtedly, K2 will outbid his promoter and therefore control the promotion. They'll choose the venue, the date, the ring size, etc. So basically Solis will still be fighting in a K2 controlled promotion and for no more than 35% of the purse, but at least he won't have to give up options.

That's the difference folks. Either earn a mandatory shot and get a predetermined percentage of the purse without options, or be a lazy ass that wants to jump straight to a title shot and be willing to give up options to the opposing promoter on a few fights (should you win). It's that simple.
Montero is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #103
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen View Post
I am sure Don King, Arum and GoldenBoy offer fair and impartial opinion on K2 business practices.
Feel free to present evidence of 12 fighters in one division complaining about contracts from King, Arum and Goldenboy over a 10 year period, I doubt you can.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #104
Marry Lerchant
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Okay and what proves this about the Dominance in the ring, does this change the fact that they are ruling the division?

Complaining is one thing, Only your fights will be remembered and not the freaking paperwork.

I wrote a book about it. Check it out folks.

Nobody will ever know the truth about contracts only the one that saw them.

Marry
Marry Lerchant is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #105
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

Quote:
Feel free to present evidence of 12 fighters in one division complaining about contracts from King, Arum and Goldenboy over a 10 year period, I doubt you can.

Are you serious? How many fighters have sued King over the years for his outright criminal contracts? 50? Wow, I can't believe you even posted that.

What about Oscar's GBP contracts that ALWAYS included a rematch clause and he made 20 mil and his opponent made 500k? Were those OK?

You are trying to talk about K2's contracts and you bring up Don ****ing King?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum