Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Yep, Yep, Yep.... Those were the days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
Did they all fight George Foreman on the same night???
Hey fellas...have youse ever heard of Bill Doherty...or read the book..In the Days of the Giants?
darkhorse is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Pretty sure Young Griffo has it, and I'm sure I have all the fights on a disc somewhere.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #18
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Hey fellas...have youse ever heard of Bill Doherty...or read the book..In the Days of the Giants?
I've heard of him.

Didn't he fall for some shifty trick of Kid McCoy (McCoy pretended to be dying of consumption or something) and got knocked out by him,after McCoy had backed himself in as well at quite long odds??
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #19
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I've heard of him.

Didn't he fall for some shifty trick of Kid McCoy (McCoy pretended to be dying of consumption or something) and got knocked out by him,after McCoy had backed himself in as well at quite long odds??
Yes McCoy did beat him....and Doherty decribes the lost as a changing of the guard of sorts....the old 'slow of foot,heavy of hand brigade verses the new age scientific...hit 'em with a dozen punches comin' from different angles....and with the corkscrew motion that Mc Coy was famous for....for those unfamilar with the story....Bill Doherty was the Aussie heavyweight champ in the late 1890's
Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Did they all fight George Foreman on the same night???

They did.

After Foreman lost to Ali in the Rumble in the Jungle he arranged this strange match-up where he fought 5 guys on the same night.

The story goes that he wanted to prove to himself and the public that he still had what it takes.

Howard Cosell called the bouts, and Foreman won them all, KOing a few of his opponents. Ali turned up, assisted Cosell, and apparently upset Foreman by heckling him.

(these bouts are not listed in BoxRec)
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #21
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
They did.

After Foreman lost to Ali in the Rumble in the Jungle he arranged this strange match-up where he fought 5 guys on the same night.

The story goes that he wanted to prove to himself and the public that he still had what it takes.

Howard Cosell called the bouts, and Foreman won them all, KOing a few of his opponents. Ali turned up, assisted Cosell, and apparently upset Foreman by heckling him.

(these bouts are not listed in BoxRec)

Ya ****en cheat. You said "no going to boxrec" but you didn't tell us the fights weren't listed,,,so it's no wonder I couldn't find the answer.

Rodin is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #22
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Foreman did not KO any of the five opponents that night.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #23
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonMcS View Post

3 by KO according to the two accounts I read:

1/ Firstly this one from 'Liverpuncher':

'No judges were present. Upon the conclusion of each bout, the next fighter would enter the ring for a maximum of three rounds, for a potential total of fifteen rounds. The fights were not officially scored, but George soundly defeated all five opponents, three by KO, the other two men each went the full distance of three rounds with Foreman'.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2/ Secondly this one from 'ESB':

'With Ali, the man who had so humbled him six months earlier, serving as guest commentator with Cosell, the exhibition was turned into a bad joke. Ali heckled the man he had beaten to regain the world title relentlessly. And George, though he won all five bouts, three by stoppage, did not look particularly menacing'.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

(these 2 accounts may of course both be factually incorrect - the Internet is afterall the greatest vehicle ever for Chinese Whispers and misinformation)

Last edited by COULDHAVEBEEN; 11-02-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #24
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Had a look on Youtube, and sure enough they are there, and pretty funny to watch!

Have only watched two of the videos so far, but Foreman certainly stops his first two opponents Alonzo Johnson & Jerry Judge - see video 2 below of the set of 5 that Youtube offer:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCOun7dx8g&p=B15D5EA46B879168&index=2&playnext=2[/ame]

(I love the way Jerry Judge finally gets up and wants to go on with it!)
Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #25
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

OK, obviously I was wrong, was going from memory from an article I read years ago. Just found the disc on my list so will have to check it out.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #26
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
OK, obviously I was wrong, was going from memory from an article I read years ago. Just found the disc on my list so will have to check it out.
Cool Leon.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #27
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Certainly heard of Doherty. Had the book and shipped it off to a mate in Spain.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #28
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 346

As a wise mate mention to me once in a conversation about MMA vs Boxing, this is why MMA will eventually win over boxing. Too many world titles and champs in boxing these days and too many great fights we never get to see as a result. Atleast with MMA fights, UFC champ vs the #1 contender or #2, theres no crap we see with boxing and they know this. Boxing will always be boxing but we need to try and evolve the sport or its going to be diluted to diarrhea and MMAs going to win the battle.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 03:38 AM   #29
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
Certainly heard of Doherty. Had the book and shipped it off to a mate in Spain.
'In the Days of the Giants' by Bill Doherty might be one of the best boxing books ever...it's also rare to find a fighter/author who can write in such a way also....I got mine from an antique shop in Townsville...and it's autographed also...just quietly...I've promised a mates son I'd send it to him...the main reason is that this kid is a bit of a deep thinker and a heavyduty boxing fan...a book like that holds too many jems to sit hidden away on a bookself...i'm sure it wouldn't be lost on this lad...I gather you may've had the same thing in mind to send your's off to Spain....anyway I'm currently re-reading it just to freshen up...I'll try and share anything interesting I find.cheerz.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #30
Dave_j1985
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
As a wise mate mention to me once in a conversation about MMA vs Boxing, this is why MMA will eventually win over boxing. Too many world titles and champs in boxing these days and too many great fights we never get to see as a result. Atleast with MMA fights, UFC champ vs the #1 contender or #2, theres no crap we see with boxing and they know this. Boxing will always be boxing but we need to try and evolve the sport or its going to be diluted to diarrhea and MMAs going to win the battle.

UFC's monopoly over MMA does have it's advantages but their lack of cross promotion also means theirs some good fights we may never see, I think it's more in the fighter's and fans attitude, the fighter's are game and will fight whoever's put in front of them and don't try to protect a 0 in their loss column and the fans are more forgiving to fighter's who lose as long as it's against tough guys.
Dave_j1985 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum