Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Dempsey vs Flynn

Can someone elaborate and give me some info about this fight? It was Dempseys only knockout loss, correct? And it happened in the first round? Against Flynn? Does anybody know if there is some sort of back story to this?

It seems so out of place when you look at his fight record
reznick is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
hhascup
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey vs Flynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
Can someone elaborate and give me some info about this fight? It was Dempseys only knockout loss, correct? And it happened in the first round? Against Flynn? Does anybody know if there is some sort of back story to this?

It seems so out of place when you look at his fight record
This has come up many times. Here's an article that says that he took a dive.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
hhascup is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

thank you guys, that pretty much explained it.

And sorry, I know these topics start to get repetitive after a while haha

but thanks gain
reznick is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It was either a dive because Dempsey really needed the money...or a legit knockout...but several reports say Dempsey literally had not eaten for days and was in a very weakened state....
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

I am convinced it was a "dive" on young Dempsey's part. His wife whom Dempsey divorced revealed to the press this fact. They had no money at all and Dempsey
took the money.until the above article, i didn't realize Dempsey was contributing
to his mother and family members..
At any rate Shortly after Dempsey on the up and up ,flattened Flynn in one round.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I dont believe it was a dive. the reports make it clear that dempsey was knocked out and hurt pretty bad. dempsey legend is a lot tougher than he actually was, particularly at this point. He was human, he got caught and hurt and thats that. Even he admitted to the day he died that he got his clock cleaned.
klompton is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

I'd want to see how a man who hasn't been eating for several days spends 2 hours running on the road the day before the bout. Or takes a 7-mile run and then works for 2 hours in the gym several days before the bout. Just looking through pre-fight reports at random. He was training harder than for any of his previous bouts up to that point, wanting to make an impression against an experienced opponent, to gain national attention.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
I'd want to see how a man who hasn't been eating for several days spends 2 hours running on the road the day before the bout. Or takes a 7-mile run and then works for 2 hours in the gym several days before the bout. Just looking through pre-fight reports at random. He was training harder than for any of his previous bouts up to that point, wanting to make an impression against an experienced opponent, to gain national attention.

yea...he may well not have taken a dive..but he was definitly weak...lets try not feeding Wlad Klitschko food for two days..and put him in aganst a pretty good heavyweight and see what happnens...
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #10
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Had not eaten for two days?? So, cornermen, sparring partners, manager, promoter or any locals were all unwilling to offer some kind of feed??

Gimme a break.

I've also got reports from the "Mirror of Life" magazine, 1910, suggesting Langford admitted Johnson belted him in their fight and he never expected a ramacth; nor did he believe he could beat Johnson.
This is another report that certain clowns on this site would take as gospel also, should they ever read it.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
Dynamite
Heavy Leather
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
It was either a dive because Dempsey really needed the money...or a legit knockout...but several reports say Dempsey literally had not eaten for days and was in a very weakened state....
if u want to know anything about boxers from Dempseys era i suggest u take what burt bienstock has to say over an article u may have come across.. burts knowledge of that era is second to no-one.
Dynamite is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
if u want to know anything about boxers from Dempseys era i suggest u take what burt bienstock has to say over an article u may have come across.. burts knowledge of that era is second to no-one.
Thanks Dynamite, A check is in the mail ...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Oh bullshit there is nothing to suggest this fight was a dive or that Dempsey anything other than well trained. The only negative press this got was from years later when Dempsey was already an idol. That shit doesnt wasnt wash. Even Dempsey at the time admitted that Flynn was his most experienced opponent (which he was) and that he was training very hard to make a showing against Flynn. The reports suggest Dempsey was nervous going into the fight and he got caught. Some people simply want to believe Dempsey bulletproof and he wasnt.
klompton is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Either Dempsey got rushed and caught cold, which is very possible, or he took a dive. I don't think there is any significant proof of the fight being a dive, but I admit the circumstances make such suspicions acceptable, even if not much supports the claim.

Dempsey was usually tough, it's difficult to imagine him being flattened in a single round, and we know boxers taking dives isn't all too rare. On the other hand an older, more experienced Dempsey was down against Firpo only seconds into the bout, so it's possible that a young, inexperienced Dempsey could have gotten clocked similarly by the veteran battler Flynn, except he wasn't as prepared to take it then. Years earlier Dempsey had been floored 9 times in the first round by Johnny Sudenberg.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

So lets get this clear:

1. He took a dive
2. Despite it being an agreed upon dive he was sucker punched as he came to touch gloves (I've heard this stated a few times) and was out for about a miniute
3. His great acting performance in this instance is what got him into Hollywood
4. And he was a victim of the Collarado Famine not being able to eat for 2 years straight but showed his greatness by still being able to run 7miles a day
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum