Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,313
vCash: 1000
Default Hey Amsterdam....

Joe certainly did not slow down at all tonight (thought he would at age 35). I just wanted to say that I think your right - JC would be a nightmare matchup for my man Hagler. The speed, flurries, great chin,,,,,he is truly one of a kind. I am pissed my Hagler avatar is gone....now I have to stare at this one for two months

ps- he still doesnt ko Hagler imo....no one does

Last edited by dmt; 08-30-2006 at 12:23 AM.
cardstars is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

I change my pick as well - I would go with Calzaghe by decision
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardstars
Joe certainly did not slow down at all tonight (thought he would at age 35). I just wanted to say that I think your right - JC would be a nightmare matchup for my man Hagler. The speed, flurries, great chin,,,,,he is truly one of a kind. I am pissed my Hagler avatar is gone....now I have to stare at this one for two months

ps- he still doesnt ko Hagler imo....no one does
I'd take prime Joe by 8-4 over Marvin Hagler at 168, Hagler would be landing some great right hands and other big counters, but he's easier to hit than Kessler and comes forward more than Kessler(coming to Joe is not good for you stylistically, because he is a master at destroying people circling and backing up). Nobody KO's Marvin Hagler, but I think Roy Jones Jr. would have had a clear chance at stopping him on accumulation.

Joe has slowed, he's not near as quick as he was prime, but his skill and experience prevailed and he still is quick a fast guy on his feet.

No big deal on the pick and thanks for being a man about it, unlike Deram.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
I change my pick as well - I would go with Calzaghe by decision
I've been trying to tell everyone that aside from Jones, only a handful of larger 175 greats would beat Joe H2H at his best, he's just a nightmare for most styles and he's very efficient on top of it.

MW's moving up would lack the size as Joe is huge for SMW even and has a great chin with a deceptive defence combined with the workrate.

Can't see Toney, Benn, Eubank(prime), G-Man, Hagler, Nunn and others defeating Calzaghe in a peak/peak scenerio.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,426
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
I've been trying to tell everyone that aside from Jones, only a handful of larger 175 greats would beat Joe H2H at his best, he's just a nightmare for most styles and he's very efficient on top of it.

MW's moving up would lack the size as Joe is huge for SMW even and has a great chin with a deceptive defence combined with the workrate.

Can't see Toney, Benn, Eubank(prime), G-Man, Hagler, Nunn and others defeating Calzaghe in a peak/peak scenerio.
even on the same night. Could they even decision a "supernatural one". Scratch that "The Supernatural one"?
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
I've been trying to tell everyone that aside from Jones, only a handful of larger 175 greats would beat Joe H2H at his best, he's just a nightmare for most styles and he's very efficient on top of it.

MW's moving up would lack the size as Joe is huge for SMW even and has a great chin with a deceptive defence combined with the workrate.

Can't see Toney, Benn, Eubank(prime), G-Man, Hagler, Nunn and others defeating Calzaghe in a peak/peak scenerio.
To be honest here, the only super middleweight I would pick over Calzaghe is Roy Jones Jr. I see him beating Eubank, Benn, Toney, McClellan, Nunn, Hagler, Collins, Ottke (without question), Liles, McCallum, Monzon etc.

At 175, I'm not so sure how he would do. I would definitely pick Spinks, Foster, and Jones over him.

After seeing more of his fights over the past year/year and a half, I have grown increasingly impressed with Calzaghe. The guy is flat out GREAT and that's an understatement.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #7
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
To be honest here, the only super middleweight I would pick over Calzaghe is Roy Jones Jr. I see him beating Eubank, Benn, Toney, McClellan, Nunn, Hagler, Collins, Ottke (without question), Liles, McCallum, Monzon etc.

At 175, I'm not so sure how he would do. I would definitely pick Spinks, Foster, and Jones over him.

After seeing more of his fights over the past year/year and a half, I have grown increasingly impressed with Calzaghe. The guy is flat out GREAT and that's an understatement.
Joe wants 2 more fights, but I suspect the money may make it 3, if he can stay fresh for that amount of time, the last 2-3 can really show everyone that Calzaghe is a great, even though it's obvious.

If he beat either -

Pavlik+Hopkins

Woods+Dawson

Hopkins+Dawson

or even

Bute+Woods

And did so impressively like he did against MK(which MK will also be a future HOF fighter IMO), then we've got ourselves a cemented universal opinion on the guy.

But I've been a fan for 10 years, so I really feel good now that he's getting the fights and respect that he rightfully has deserved, it was sickening how he was written off even by the British establishment during that stretch of time when he couldn't get any good fights, yet they promote Hatton, who's lucky if he's half as skilled as Joe.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #8
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smazz20
even on the same night. Could they even decision a "supernatural one". Scratch that "The Supernatural one"?
Joe is my favourite all time fighter and credit must be given where it's due, he is the original in Supernatural, but there is a difference between being the original and being the Supernatural one.

Only God can be considered the Supernatural one, and Cristian Mijares is GOD. He is RISEN. My brothers in Cristianity will definitely help you out with that also.

But no, at 168, only Jones defeats Calzaghe, at 175 I'd pick Moorer, Foster, Spinks and Roy(though the 175 Roy less impressively), over JC, depending on how a 35 Y/O JC looks at 175....

May be changing some opinions if he moves up and smokes Bad Chad.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:27 AM   #9
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Joe wants 2 more fights, but I suspect the money may make it 3, if he can stay fresh for that amount of time, the last 2-3 can really show everyone that Calzaghe is a great, even though it's obvious.

If he beat either -

Pavlik+Hopkins

Woods+Dawson

Hopkins+Dawson

or even

Bute+Woods

And did so impressively like he did against MK(which MK will also be a future HOF fighter IMO), then we've got ourselves a cemented universal opinion on the guy.

But I've been a fan for 10 years, so I really feel good now that he's getting the fights and respect that he rightfully has deserved, it was sickening how he was written off even by the British establishment during that stretch of time when he couldn't get any good fights, yet they promote Hatton, who's lucky if he's half as skilled as Joe.
I think in the longrun, beating Hopkins (just because of the fact he's an ATG) and beating Dawson would look best on his resume.

Beating an all time great in Hopkins and winning a title at 175 against a kid with the potential to be great would do wonders for Joe and probably cement him as one of the 40-50 best ever. If Pavlik can stay undefeated in that time span and the money is right, Calzaghe could even add him to his resume.

Anyways, congrats to you on Joe's victory (even if it didn't come as any surprise to you). I know you are a huge fan and it's nice to see Joe getting so much praise. Let's hope we can get at least 2 more performances like this

Funny enough, I did a write up on this fight and made my cemented pick tonight. I picked Calzaghe by UD (116-112 x 2, 117-111). I really hope I get the same kind of luck next week with Cotto.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:28 AM   #10
yesihavearm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 749
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Joe is my favourite all time fighter and credit must be given where it's due, he is the original in Supernatural, but there is a difference between being the original and being the Supernatural one.

Only God can be considered the Supernatural one, and Cristian Mijares is GOD. He is RISEN. My brothers in Cristianity will definitely help you out with that also.

But no, at 168, only Jones defeats Calzaghe, at 175 I'd pick Moorer, Foster, Spinks and Roy(though the 175 Roy less impressively), over JC, depending on how a 35 Y/O JC looks at 175....

May be changing some opinions if he moves up and smokes Bad Chad.
Whats the arguement for Prime RJJ beating Prime Joe Calzaghe and vice versa, whats your take Amsterdam ?

I think Joe has proven that he has adaptability as good as Hopkins, and I always favoured Hopkins over RJJ if there was a rematch 2000+ .

Last edited by Koa; 08-30-2006 at 01:37 AM.
yesihavearm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,426
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Joe is my favourite all time fighter and credit must be given where it's due, he is the original in Supernatural, but there is a difference between being the original and being the Supernatural one.

Only God can be considered the Supernatural one, and Cristian Mijares is GOD. He is RISEN. My brothers in Cristianity will definitely help you out with that also.

But no, at 168, only Jones defeats Calzaghe, at 175 I'd pick Moorer, Foster, Spinks and Roy(though the 175 Roy less impressively), over JC, depending on how a 35 Y/O JC looks at 175....

May be changing some opinions if he moves up and smokes Bad Chad.

Damn man, you know your shit. I'm only here to learn but, like you, i've been a fan of Calzaghe for years and it's great to see respect finally come his way. For me, the last twp fights he needs are Hopkins and Dawson, both in the states. Then we are talkling about a top 50 fighter
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,426
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesihavearm
Whats the arguement for Prime RJJ beating Prime Joe Calzaghe and vice versa, whats your take Amsterdam ?

I think Joe has proven that he has adaptability as good as Hopkins, and I always favoured Hopkins over RJJ if there was a rematch 2000+ .
No way man. I sincerley doubt any version of Hops beats a prime Jones. Be very good to see, but nevertheless.........
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #13
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,313
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Joe is my favourite all time fighter and credit must be given where it's due, he is the original in Supernatural, but there is a difference between being the original and being the Supernatural one.

Only God can be considered the Supernatural one, and Cristian Mijares is GOD. He is RISEN. My brothers in Cristianity will definitely help you out with that also.

But no, at 168, only Jones defeats Calzaghe, at 175 I'd pick Moorer, Foster, Spinks and Roy(though the 175 Roy less impressively), over JC, depending on how a 35 Y/O JC looks at 175....

May be changing some opinions if he moves up and smokes Bad Chad.
So how would you have Roy beating JC at 168? Decision or stoppage?
cardstars is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #14
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smazz20
Damn man, you know your shit. I'm only here to learn but, like you, i've been a fan of Calzaghe for years and it's great to see respect finally come his way. For me, the last twp fights he needs are Hopkins and Dawson, both in the states. Then we are talkling about a top 50 fighter
Yes, a top 50, but he's a top 20 H2H. The top 50 will have to technically wait until Kessler and Dawson accomplished more though, which they absolutely would.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM   #15
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hey Amsterdam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardstars
So how would you have Roy beating JC at 168? Decision or stoppage?
Decision, 9 rounds to 3, JC has great recovery skills, but would be buzzed many times by RJJ's beautiful lead rights.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013