lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290
Default Re: Bumdine Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks
No.

I was completely wrong about Calzaghe. I thought he was picking up too many injuries in the later stages of his career to be able to continuously produce his best boxing.

He's in top form now, and noone could beat him. He'd beat Mundine for sure, he'd also beat Dawson if he was to fight him at 175.
Yeah he'd beat Mundine but Dawson? The fight will never happen and i'm glad because they are two of my Favs, Dawson would be too big and quick, and the difference between his and Calzaghes combinations is that all of Dawsons punches are proper punches while Calzaghes are more touching punches, it'd be a close fight but i have to go with Dawson, Calzaghe will fight Hopkins and win quite easily, then retire.
lefty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #32
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazetheman
Yeah he'd beat Mundine but Dawson? The fight will never happen and i'm glad because they are two of my Favs, Dawson would be too big and quick, and the difference between his and Calzaghes combinations is that all of Dawsons punches are proper punches while Calzaghes are more touching punches, it'd be a close fight but i have to go with Dawson, Calzaghe will fight Hopkins and win quite easily, then retire.
Beat Hopkins Easy??NO...h

Dawson would be too big too quick??NO

Calzaghe's speed is very underrated and as most of us poster already know joe struggles to make 168 so fighting at light heavy wont be too much a problem.To be honest he would probably thrive with the added 3kgs.
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #33
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziebattler
Beat Hopkins Easy??NO...h

Dawson would be too big too quick??NO

Calzaghe's speed is very underrated and as most of us poster already know joe struggles to make 168 so fighting at light heavy wont be too much a problem.To be honest he would probably thrive with the added 3kgs.
Beat hopkins easy? yes, he has quick hands, high punch output, southpaw stance and is a master of angles like Hopkins is. Hopkins simply doesn't have the stamina to bother Calzaghe.

Yes i do think Dawson would be too big and too quick, Dawson is 6'3, longer reach, also a southpaw and doesn't ever hesitate to throw punches, like Kessler did sometimes in the fight. Calzaghe has fast hands but in no way is his speed underrated, i mean you have people here saying he's faster than Mundine, which i think is ridiculous.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #34
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazetheman
Beat hopkins easy? yes, he has quick hands, high punch output, southpaw stance and is a master of angles like Hopkins is. Hopkins simply doesn't have the stamina to bother Calzaghe.

Yes i do think Dawson would be too big and too quick, Dawson is 6'3, longer reach, also a southpaw and doesn't ever hesitate to throw punches, like Kessler did sometimes in the fight. Calzaghe has fast hands but in no way is his speed underrated, i mean you have people here saying he's faster than Mundine, which i think is ridiculous.
I think it's ridiculous that you come on here calling other people ridiculous when you were wrong about the outcome of the Kessler vs Calzaghe fight.

Try opening your mind instead of living in that self-inflicted hellhole you're wallowing in.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #35
percy davo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

At the moment if Mundine fights JC the way he has been fighting he would lose a majority decision just for the fact that Mundines work rate is not high enough.
Now if Mundine had a higher work rate and was a bit more aggressive he would be in with a real chance as he is very hard to hit and I think that would cut down JC combos by making him miss a lot and as you may all know the more you miss it takes a lot out of you and then leave you open to be hit but in saying that they both have exellent defence.
percy davo is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #36
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy davo
At the moment if Mundine fights JC the way he has been fighting he would lose a majority decision just for the fact that Mundines work rate is not high enough.
Now if Mundine had a higher work rate and was a bit more aggressive he would be in with a real chance as he is very hard to hit and I think that would cut down JC combos by making him miss a lot and as you may all know the more you miss it takes a lot out of you and then leave you open to be hit but in saying that they both have exellent defence.
Dunno mate, too many 'ifs' there in Mundine's favour.

One thing about Calzaghe is that he steps to his opponent's side after he's delivered a combo, and either makes them miss, or hits them more - he pushes the action - he's a very aggressive fighter in that way, and doesn't give his opponents time to get into their rythmn.

I don't think Mundine would be capable of withstanding the pressure to be honest - look at how Calzaghe made Kessler miss, and look how good Calzaghe's chin is. I don't think Mundine would ever be able to get set for long enough to land a big punch, and even then, I think Calzaghe would take it and keep hitting back.

Mundine is not in the same league as Calzaghe and Kessler. Whatever Mundine brings to the table, Joe brings better - speed, footwork, punching from angles, switching his tact...the only thing Mundine would have is better defence, but from the angles and with the speed Calzaghe can deliver, it wouldn't be much use.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #37
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley
Dunno mate, too many 'ifs' there in Mundine's favour.

One thing about Calzaghe is that he steps to his opponent's side after he's delivered a combo, and either makes them miss, or hits them more - he pushes the action - he's a very aggressive fighter in that way, and doesn't give his opponents time to get into their rythmn.

I don't think Mundine would be capable of withstanding the pressure to be honest - look at how Calzaghe made Kessler miss, and look how good Calzaghe's chin is. I don't think Mundine would ever be able to get set for long enough to land a big punch, and even then, I think Calzaghe would take it and keep hitting back.

Mundine is not in the same league as Calzaghe and Kessler. Whatever Mundine brings to the table, Joe brings better - speed, footwork, punching from angles, switching his tact...the only thing Mundine would have is better defence, but from the angles and with the speed Calzaghe can deliver, it wouldn't be much use.
Good post
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #38
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztriker
Good post
hey mate, howzit garn?

How was the fight at Scruffy Murphy's?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #39
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Location: "always take the arrows in the forhead, never in the back"
vCash: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks
No.

I was completely wrong about Calzaghe. I thought he was picking up too many injuries in the later stages of his career to be able to continuously produce his best boxing.

He's in top form now, and noone could beat him. He'd beat Mundine for sure, he'd also beat Dawson if he was to fight him at 175.
cool so im not the only1 who thinks joe would beat dawson...
stuistylee is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #40
Achilles
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Before Mundine's rematch with Soliman I would have agreed with most of the above, but Soliman is as hard to hit as anyone out there and Mundine found a way to hit him, and hit him repeatedly. Mundine also showed more aggression than I've seen in a long time from him and didn't appear afraid of being unlike in many of his other name fights. Although Sam is not a renowned power puncher, he can still rattle a few teeth and if Mundine was to fight like he did against Soliman he would give JC a good run for his money.
Achilles is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #41
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Before Mundine's rematch with Soliman I would have agreed with most of the above, but Soliman is as hard to hit as anyone out there and Mundine found a way to hit him, and hit him repeatedly. Mundine also showed more aggression than I've seen in a long time from him and didn't appear afraid of being unlike in many of his other name fights. Although Sam is not a renowned power puncher, he can still rattle a few teeth and if Mundine was to fight like he did against Soliman he would give JC a good run for his money.
Are you for real pal?
Soliman and Calzaghe in the same sentence.

The same Soliman who was getting tagged by the no hoper in his first fight on the contender

One bloke is undefeated for the last 17yrs and the other has almost 10 losses.

Someone pinch me and get me back to reality quick
kel is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #42
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley
the only thing Mundine would have is better defence, but from the angles and with the speed Calzaghe can deliver, it wouldn't be much use.
Soliman brought angles to the table. That didnt mean much against Mundine.

But still think Joe would beat Mundine.
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #43
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Soliman didn't have the power, nor combinations to make Mundine fear him. Mundine was always going forward in the 2nd Soliman fight, the same wouldn't happen against Calzaghe, as he brings more power and combinations to the table.

I still think Mundine could give him trouble. The fight would also go the distance seeing as how Calzaghe usually fights to his opponents level. The fight will never happen though, so we can only speculate on this.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 11:35 PM   #44
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm
Soliman brought angles to the table. That didnt mean much against Mundine.

But still think Joe would beat Mundine.
Soliman isn't big or aggressive enough IMO - Calzaghe harrasses and attacks non-stop, he doesn't give you time to rest and settle into a rythmn. And if you hit him hard, he just keeps coming - he doesn't take a backward step.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 AM   #45
boxa01
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

boxa01 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum