Old 11-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #17
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic forum opinions on Joe Clazaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
It's going to be nice to be able to discuss Joe v proper ATG fighters without feeling like a fanny because he hasn't beaten anyone. Very cool.
But you see, I discussed before JC-MK, because I already knew where his level was at as a dedicated fan.

Let's hope for defeating Bad Chad in his last 2-3 fights, that'll seal it, as Chad Dawson is an awesome fighter and will definitely establish himself as a future HOF level fighter at the LHW-CW range.

Likely that Kessler establishes himself a future HOF'er also, Kessler is an awesome fighter as well.

Now,

Is Joe Calzaghe not grade A Supernatural? He defines the meaning of a supernatural fighter.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #18
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mcgrain KO1 himself, you think making stupid replies like calzaghe sucks or when rating lennox lewis just saying he has a glass jaw is good.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #19
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
But you see, I discussed before JC-MK, because I already knew where his level was at as a dedicated fan.
In boxing you HAVE to prove it, to me anyway.

Quote:
Let's hope for defeating Bad Chad in his last 2-3 fights, that'll seal it, as Chad Dawson is an awesome fighter and will definitely establish himself as a future HOF level fighter at the LHW-CW range.
I want - Hopkins (outdoors on the East coast), then Dawson (Vegas), then Woods, then Frotch, both at home, then retire. Then, you and I can talk my friend!

Quote:
Likely that Kessler establishes himself a future HOF'er also, Kessler is an awesome fighter as well.
I hope so. I like Kessler, man and fighter. Ran into his limitations v Calzaghe though. Calzaghe finishes people as you know...we shall see. I hope so.

Quote:
Is Joe Calzaghe not grade A Supernatural? He defines the meaning of a supernatural fighter.
He is a great fighter. A great one. Joe Calzaghe is a great fighter.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #20
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
Mcgrain KO1 himself.

Beautiful!
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #21
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Calzaghe, contrary to the commentator's opinion, is a technician. He combines it with unorthodoxy, calculated in-ring risks, and a style that is not supernatural in the least. His style is difficult for a profound reason that most boxers do not grasp:

Kessler said that Calzaghe "spoils your boxing" -and that is an astute observation. Most boxers are like dancers. They are part of a rythym that involves the other man. Calzaghe has built his style on a far more individualistic foundation that is probably rooted in a great ego: he breaks the other man's rythym, throws off timing, and varies his attack with different shots, unorthodox shots from odd places and at odd times, different speed of shots, and angles. All this from a southpaw stance which is difficult to solve by itself. Here, he is reminiscent of Pep and Whitaker. All three force their opponent to play patsy to a style that forces them to think too much and then makes them pay for thinking.

[It is not, however, a style that is impervious to defeat. Kessler knew what he was dealing with, but failed to built a foil for it. But that is for another post. ]

Calzaghe is a ring general, and he has built a rare style on a different foundation than most.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #22
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
He beats anyone currently fighting from 160-175, and is a strong match for anyone from 160-168 in history, and even some top 175'ers.
Here I agree. There have been many times historicaly when the best light heavyweight out there was what we would call a supermiddleweight today. We have a similar situation here.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 05:33 AM   #23
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Outclassing an un-defeated, #1 opponent by a wide margin when you’re 35+ and he's in his 20's is perhaps the hardest thing to do in boxing. Who else has done this? Not Leonard, Louis, Armstrong, Duran, Jofre, and Ali. The lone except I can think of is Fitzsimmons who won the light heavyweight title at age 40 from a very good George Gardiner who was 26.

The only question on Clazaghe was how good his chin was. He proved it was very good last night. I think Calzaghe answered all questions. He is great fighter. He could make you miss, throw over 100+ punches per round, and has unique off tempo style that can target the head or body. It is possible that Calzaghe’s style might be a bit like Harry Greb’s. A fast handed / accurate puncher who can make you miss, take a heck of a shot, and throw 100+ punches a round.

All that is left for Calzaghe is to win a light heavyweight title vs a name fighter, then retire undefeated.
Havent seen the fight ,but I can find no metion of Kesslers jab ,which Senya rated as in the top three of all time,was it a factor?
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #24
Jimbo
Super Sharp Shooter
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Havent seen the fight ,but I can find no metion of Kesslers jab ,which Senya rated as in the top three of all time,was it a factor?
Calzaghe took it away from him and landed significantly more jabs than Kessler.
Jimbo is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 AM   #25
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

He didn't throw his jab often enough for one reason or another, and even those he threw were mostly range-finders. Ijnury or whatever, I don't know. Calzaghe was throwing 2-3 jabs in a row (a-la Muhammad Ali), but rarely landed any of them clean, and almost none of them were hard jabs.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 AM   #26
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
He beats anyone currently fighting from 160-175, and is a strong match for anyone from 160-168 in history, and even some top 175'ers. His talent far exceeds his resume though, which is still good, but not among the true ATG's.
This is why Calzaghe needs to fight Hopkins next. Hopkins has never run from a big money fight. If Calzaghe beats Hopkins, his resume will begin to catch up to his talent. I also like to see Calzaghe vs Winky Wright. This would give Calzaghe two wins over likely hall of fame bound fighters.

While Clazaghe's resume certainly lacks big names it has to be the cleanest un-defeated record I've ever seen. Has Calzaghe ever been in danger of getting a draw or losing a fight in his 20+ title defenses? As far as I know, the answer to that question is no. This is where he stands alone. Even Marciano, and Lopez had some close fights. In terms of big wins, I think Calzaghe’s win over Kessler was more impressive than any of Rocky’s or Lopez’s wins when you factor in the dominance of the match, the Kessler being in his prime, and Kessler being in the pound for pound discussion before the fight.

I think Clazaghe was un-defeated as an amatuer too.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 AM   #27
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89
Calzaghe, contrary to the commentator's opinion, is a technician. He combines it with unorthodoxy, calculated in-ring risks, and a style that is not supernatural in the least. His style is difficult for a profound reason that most boxers do not grasp:

Kessler said that Calzaghe "spoils your boxing" -and that is an astute observation. Most boxers are like dancers. They are part of a rythym that involves the other man. Calzaghe has built his style on a far more individualistic foundation that is probably rooted in a great ego: he breaks the other man's rythym, throws off timing, and varies his attack with different shots, unorthodox shots from odd places and at odd times, different speed of shots, and angles. All this from a southpaw stance which is difficult to solve by itself. Here, he is reminiscent of Pep and Whitaker. All three force their opponent to play patsy to a style that forces them to think too much and then makes them pay for thinking.

[It is not, however, a style that is impervious to defeat. Kessler knew what he was dealing with, but failed to built a foil for it. But that is for another post. ]

Calzaghe is a ring general, and he has built a rare style on a different foundation than most.

A terrific analysis which describes Calzaghes fighting style perfectly. I'm wholeheartedly in agreement with this post.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #28
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Has Calzaghe ever been in danger of getting a draw or losing a fight in his 20+ title defenses?
He should have lost the fight with Robin Reid, as he was constantly hit with right hand after right hand, which staggered him, without giving enough hard punches in return.

Quote:
I think Clazaghe was un-defeated as an amatuer too.
No, he wasn't undefeated, according to British commentators in one of his fights.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #29
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]:
1990: Great-Britain:
- Michael Smyth
1990: E.C. Juniors Usti Nad Labem Welterweight:
- Adrian Opreda (Rou) points
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #30
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

great fighter and he needs tostep up at light-heavy now.
dmt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum