Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
DownUnderBoxing
Boxing Video Production
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

PAUL Briggs claims he has been made a scapegoat after an inquiry found he participated in a "sham contest".

The finding arose as he failed to disclose the full extent of his health problems before a farcical fight with Danny Green.

Briggs was felled in 29 seconds after a glancing blow to the head during the July bout in Perth.

Western Australia's Professional Combat Sports Commission yesterday cleared Green of any wrongdoing, but fined Briggs $75,000 of his $200,000 earnings and cancelled his registration in the state.

The commission found his trainer, Billy Hussein, ought to have known Briggs was in no condition to engage in a genuine contest because of problems with his nervous system and so also participated in a sham fight. He has effectively been banned from the sport in WA, after the commission ruled it was unlikely to view favourably any application by him to register.

Briggs said yesterday he had told examining doctors about the "undiagnosed" problems. "It's a joke," he said. "Danny Green knew exactly what he was doing. I got into the best shape I could and this is just the commission trying to cover themselves and charge me for the expense. I passed every single medical test that they had."

He plans to appeal against the findings.

The fight had been switched from Perth to Sydney after the NSW Sports Combat Authority refused to sanction the bout due to concerns over Briggs' health.

Commission chairman Simon Watters defended the decision to approve the fight in Perth and the examination of Briggs' medical records. "Those medical reports gave him clearance," he said.

No findings were made on a massive betting plunge before the fight. The commission has referred the issue to police.

Print
Email
DownUnderBoxing is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Who do the IBO have to answer to ? Oh thats right, no one.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Francis, the IBO, just like everyone involved in the bout have some satisfaction through the findings so far. The IBO are not medico's.. Trainers.. Fighters.. Promoters..

They sanction a bout under the guidlines of State approval. Business is business.

For once, MATE I agree with you, to a degree.. IMO, the fight should not have been a sanctioned bout, but hindsight rings louder than speculation or gut feelings when the dirt is covering the mess.

I guess many can sit back and say "I told you so..'. Who really expected the happenings (fight) to have ended EXACTLY as it did?

Cheers..
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
Who do the IBO have to answer to ? Oh thats right, no one.
The IBO dont care as long as they pick up their sanctioning fees.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

You thought it couldnt any worse....how about check this link out

WBO Accuses Thai Fighter Of Impersonating Opponent
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
unsigned_userv2
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
You thought it couldnt any worse....how about check this link out

WBO Accuses Thai Fighter Of Impersonating Opponent

Link doesn't work :(

But your 1-line summary already had me laughing
unsigned_userv2 is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsigned_userv2 View Post
Link doesn't work :(

But your 1-line summary already had me laughing

The link failed here too.. Just wondering if the Thai fighter attempted to impersonate an American Negro or a Scandinavian.. that would be amusing!!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
The link failed here too.. Just wondering if the Thai fighter attempted to impersonate an American Negro or a Scandinavian.. that would be amusing!!
Go to boxing scene boys & read the article.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Or replace those * with boxing scene as 1 word
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
Go to boxing scene boys & read the article.
No!! Post the bloody thing accordingly!!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
sambo1987
Contender
ESB Senior Member

So where does this 75 grand go? I wouldn't mind some reimbursement for the PPV.
sambo1987 is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Doesn't anyone consider that Briggs was deliberatly hiding his condition so he could get the payday?

His behaviour at the weigh-in (refusing to face the cameras when stepping on the scales and disappearing quickly before re-emerging with his shirt back on) indicates he was trying to hide his physical condition - why no belief that he hid his mental and neurological condition also?

Funny how some people (including Briggs) manage to find a way to blame Green for it. Pathetic really, that in this article Briggs is trying to place some, if not all, of the blame on Green with his statement ""Danny Green knew exactly what he was doing. I got into the best shape I could and this is just the commission trying to cover themselves and charge me for the expense. I passed every single medical test that they had."

Everyone seems to give Briggs a pass because apparently he wasn't of right mind, but at the end of the day the decision to accept the fight and continue on despite having all thise issues that he's been so open about SINCE the fight was his and no one elses. He probably also pressured Hussein to keep quiet about it.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
brocky
Journeyman

Y would Danny want 2 fight him in the first place. Greens the so called world champ and he's a fight fixer and it is never he's fault, please green was there 4 a payday 2. Then calls Briggs a dog, how is green a modest person. I hate the cunt and hope he gets wats coming soon.
brocky is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrnBruMan View Post
Doesn't anyone consider that Briggs was deliberatly hiding his condition so he could get the payday?

His behaviour at the weigh-in (refusing to face the cameras when stepping on the scales and disappearing quickly before re-emerging with his shirt back on) indicates he was trying to hide his physical condition - why no belief that he hid his mental and neurological condition also?

Funny how some people (including Briggs) manage to find a way to blame Green for it. Pathetic really, that in this article Briggs is trying to place some, if not all, of the blame on Green with his statement ""Danny Green knew exactly what he was doing. I got into the best shape I could and this is just the commission trying to cover themselves and charge me for the expense. I passed every single medical test that they had."

Everyone seems to give Briggs a pass because apparently he wasn't of right mind, but at the end of the day the decision to accept the fight and continue on despite having all thise issues that he's been so open about SINCE the fight was his and no one elses. He probably also pressured Hussein to keep quiet about it.

IMO Briggs was lucky to keep as much of 'his' money as they've allowed him to.

Whether we like it or not, boxing is entertainment, and the people who paid PPV or for a seat were entitled to think they would be getting value for money.

Briggs has lived fighting all his life and knew darn well he was never going to be able to make that fight any more than a farce, let alone a contest.

His condition at the weigh-in should have just rang more alarm bells that this bout was going to be nothing more than a sad joke. But most of us had this romantic idea that the warrior that WAS Briggs, would magically reappear and at least provide a contest.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

IMO end of the day everybody knew better

Green should have never picked Briggs in the first place...he was 3 years out of the game.

I think all parties involved should take some responsibility and share that fine...then lets get over it and on with some good fights

On a positive note I'm glad to see Green now fighting BJ Flores
ashley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum