Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 11-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

I think when he says Danny Green knew what he was doing is in ref to he knew he was fighting a guy who had not fought in 3 yrs, if his claims that he did indeed pass all medical tests given to him then its hard to argue the case, the medical non disclosure bit will be what he will need to dissprove and i think he will do this, its worth $75,000

I dont think any tests showed any problems when he retired and this is why he was able to pass current tests, his inital retirement wasnt diagnosed by a doctor, it was noticed by his trainer at the time in a training camp leading upto a big fight, so technically theres nothing on paper to say that theres anything wrong with him.

I think WA commission is a sham so im include to belive they are trying to cover their tracks, blame it all on Briggys and let their home town boy off squeaky clean. After all Green did do a backflip the very next day, basicly spat in the faces of all his fans and anyone who has two eyes and knows boxing. claiming the punch to be a legitimate blow blah blah, waving the DVD. Honestly i dont think Green is any better than Briggs, WA cant do much about the illegal bs that went on so hopefully the police will take it further and lay charges. These guys need to be made an example of to ensure this never happens again.

If all that happens is Paul gets a fine and other criminal activity findings are handed to police and all goes quite, its going to be back to the same old horse sht and ill bet my left nut green fights cameron next.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
Bognashavin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Whether Green knew or not it does not diminish Briggs personal responsibilities to the public etc, he has to cop it as he lied to us all. Others may have too, and they deserve some flack as well.
Bognashavin is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

The NSW commission acted responsibly in stopping the fight taking place there.

From what I've heard, the WA commission rubber stamped the fight over the phone - making them as much to blame as anyone for what was not only a farce, but a very dangerous farce that could have seen Briggs seriously injured, or worse.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #19
Bognashavin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The commisions have responsibilities to the public and the fighters, as unwell but willing as Briggs was, we can see NSW did their checks and WA just opened their wallets.
Bognashavin is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
goodnight
The Ayatula of Rockenrula
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
WBO Accuses Thai Fighter Of Impersonating Opponent
aahhh the old thai impersonator trick, we've all fallen for that one.

haven't we?
goodnight is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #21
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 40950

So...he still maintains not throwing it?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #22
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrnBruMan View Post
Doesn't anyone consider that Briggs was deliberatly hiding his condition so he could get the payday?

His behaviour at the weigh-in (refusing to face the cameras when stepping on the scales and disappearing quickly before re-emerging with his shirt back on) indicates he was trying to hide his physical condition - why no belief that he hid his mental and neurological condition also?

Funny how some people (including Briggs) manage to find a way to blame Green for it. Pathetic really, that in this article Briggs is trying to place some, if not all, of the blame on Green with his statement ""Danny Green knew exactly what he was doing. I got into the best shape I could and this is just the commission trying to cover themselves and charge me for the expense. I passed every single medical test that they had."

Everyone seems to give Briggs a pass because apparently he wasn't of right mind, but at the end of the day the decision to accept the fight and continue on despite having all thise issues that he's been so open about SINCE the fight was his and no one elses. He probably also pressured Hussein to keep quiet about it.
Mate, people lay blame on Green because this incident has been a long time coming, and Green has a history of fighting old, low calibre fighters.

Us posters here all knew that the fight would be a farce, and that Briggs was in no shape to fight. It's impossible to believe that Green wasnt made aware of what we all were pretty aware of, especially considering that he had to go to another state to find a doctor that would give him the green light.

I myself have no sympathy for Briggs though, and am surprised to read that others on here think he's a victim, or that we should feel sorry for him.

I believe he took a dive and was in on a fix, and as soon as it gets proven (I should say if as I have no faith in anything or anyone associated in Aussie boxing) I hope to never see or hear the desperate loser on screen again.

I dont give a **** if he's the Richie Benaud of boxing commentators, he can **** off to William st and make a coin there.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

i agree with you pecks, he took a dive and was in on a fix. They just had a bit on the local TV station on him, looks like he is going to get a plastering for the next couple of days doing the rounds on the news stations. I didnt feel sorry for him at the time but i do feel sorry for him now, this was not a one way street and these guys have just lumped it all on Briggs, he took a dive but he shouldnt have been in there to begin with and those around him failed in their responsibility in the Duty of Care for Paul Briggs. I think Green is also somewhat guilty as he should have atleast allowed or and demanded that Paul have a warm up fight 1st just to see where the guy was at.

Some people bag the sht out of Mundine, myself included but Mundine wasnt as stupid as Green, Mundine knocked it back for good reason but Green just wanted another notch on his bed post and took on a bloke he knew retired due to personal reasons and or possible medical reasons. I think Briggs did all he could to convince Green that he was fit and ready however, it is known fact that Greens camp viewed the leaked footage 2 weeks prior to the fight and had Geuine concerns about Paul which were rebutted in a conversation between Hyder and BILLIE, BILLIE claiming Paul was doing great blah blah and not to go by the footage, lucky it wasnt the footage of Ogonov knocking him out in a sparring session one day hey lol? which they only found out about AFTER the fight.

When your knocked out in boxing, you have a 30 day suspension, you cant fight for 30 days, being knocked out 2 weeks or 1 week prior to the fight Paul should NEVER have been in the ring, everyone around him knew this but did NOTHING to prevent the train wreck from occuring, i feel that they are in on it together and as thick as theifs.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
maco_187
Belt holder
ESB Addict

"BILLIE claiming Paul was doing great blah blah and not to go by the footage, lucky it wasnt the footage of Ogonov knocking him out in a sparring session one day hey lol? which they only found out about AFTER the fight. "

**** thats depressing to hear, Briggs was an absolute beast just goes to show when your done, your done
maco_187 is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #25
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

I'll just say I think the WA Combat Sports board are special. They'll take it both ways.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #26
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He was knocked out twice, Ogonov was one of the sparring partners, i dont know who the other one was but clearly if Ogonov is able to knock him out in sparring something is wrong, its not the same Paul we all know. I think had Greens camp known about the KO in sparring he would have called the fight off.

All of this got me thinking about the purse, how easy did they all really get off etc, i know this is IBO and its Australia but if we look at something like the Oliver McCall vs Lennox Lewis 2 fight its an interesting comparison.

Oliver McCall was in Rehab before the fight, was in no mental condition to be fighting, they keept him away from the media as to hide he mental condition, his trainer must have known about this but with 3 million purse no one said a word and actually coverd it all up until it was exposed come fight night. Do you notice Lennox couldnt even knock the guy out and he had his hands down, wasnt throwing back hardly etc. The Commission with held the entire 3 million USA $ purse pending investigation, i am unsure if Oliver got any of the money, i think it was battled out in the courts. My point in mention of this is Olivers trainer, he pretty much never got a mention in the media, it was all lumped on Oliver McCall and he was left to explain his actions with a fictional story no doubt put in his head by his advisors that this was their game plan and the ref stopped the fight too early and ******d it all up hahaha! all one needs to do is look at the facial expressions on his trainers face when Oliver wouldnt return to his corner during the break between rounds, you could see that this wasnt the game plan.

Oliver McCall was mentally fcked and shouldnt have been in there. His trainer failed in his duty of care, it appears trainers get off scott free and this is the norm? other than trainers removing padding from gloves i dont see any punishment towards trainers who fail in their duty of care.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #27
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by maco_187 View Post
"BILLIE claiming Paul was doing great blah blah and not to go by the footage, lucky it wasnt the footage of Ogonov knocking him out in a sparring session one day hey lol? which they only found out about AFTER the fight. "

**** thats depressing to hear, Briggs was an absolute beast just goes to show when your done, your done

The only reason he turned up was for the $$$$$. So it was a mixture of courage and stupidity, but primarily greed.

I say greed because Briggs dudded everyone who paid to watch what was meant to be a contest and entertainment - not a 30 second farce!
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #28
raff
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1090

Briggs knew his condition, and if we all knew his condition, and nsw combat sports knew something, you can bet your ass green knew too, fines should have gone to more people especially the ibo for allowing a "world champ" defend his title against a retired fighter
raff is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #29
stewy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

he should be fined his entire purse and then some... he is lucky to only be fined 75k...it was an absolute disgrace to the sport and he should not be involved in any capacity. he probably won more than 75k on a 1st round ko bet on green also
stewy is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #30
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
Briggs knew his condition, and if we all knew his condition, and nsw combat sports knew something, you can bet your ass green knew too, fines should have gone to more people especially the ibo for allowing a "world champ" defend his title against a retired fighter

Its a good thing the promoter didnt know Briggs had been retired for 3 years or they should have a case to answer as well
ashley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum