boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 AM   #31
raff
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,290
vCash: 1090
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Wasn't it a green machine promotion??
raff is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #32
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: "Mr 3 time"
Posts: 12,096
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
Wasn't it a green machine promotion??
Was it?????

OMG!!!!

Funny how NSW ditch the fight but WA pick it up same day....maybe they should pay the fine along with the promoter for allowing the fight to go ahead.

IMO if you picked out 10 other fighters who been out of the game 3 years and if they got offered $250,000 do you think they would lace um up again good or bad....**** yeah

Its not the fighters fault...its the promoter and officials
ashley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #33
raff
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,290
vCash: 1090
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

I think any fighter would do it, even I'd do it, but if Briggs knew he was not in a condition some responsibility needs to bbe on him,
raff is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #34
kflex101
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 278
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

It's the fighters fault if he takes a dive. Sure, almost all retired fighters would jump back into the ring for that kind of coin, which I have no issue with, assuming they give their all.

That's still my biggest issue with Briggs, not that he had mental issues or was fat and outta condition, rather he completely dogged it.
kflex101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:24 AM   #35
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 75
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Its a good thing the promoter didnt know Briggs had been retired for 3 years or they should have a case to answer as well
he wasnt etired Ash it was a 3 year lay off.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



The IBO had no qualms about sanctioning Briggs as an opponent for Green, with their top Australian official Phil Austin saying despite his layoff, Briggs still had a top 25 ranking and any health worries had been alleviated.
"We wouldn't do it for just any ordinary fighter. The fact is Paul does have a fairly darn good pedigree and CV behind him," Austin said.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:30 AM   #36
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: "Mr 3 time"
Posts: 12,096
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
he wasnt etired Ash it was a 3 year lay off.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



The IBO had no qualms about sanctioning Briggs as an opponent for Green, with their top Australian official Phil Austin saying despite his layoff, Briggs still had a top 25 ranking and any health worries had been alleviated.
"We wouldn't do it for just any ordinary fighter. The fact is Paul does have a fairly darn good pedigree and CV behind him," Austin said.
Well I guess that statement is true from Piil...he does have a good CV....end of the day everynody involved needs to put the hand up and say I F@#$%# up.

At the moment it looks like its just Briggs getting shot down....why not the WA officials and the promoter
ashley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #37
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 75
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Well I guess that statement is true from Piil...he does have a good CV....end of the day everynody involved needs to put the hand up and say I F@#$%# up.

At the moment it looks like its just Briggs getting shot down....why not the WA officials and the promoter
the last bit was best Ash.


Green added: "Briggsy is blessed with a massive heart and a great chin and so am I and we are both blessed with natural sleeping pills in both hands."
priceless.
hes right about him having sleeping pills in both hands.imagine if he did a Pavlik and doubled the jab.Paul would be dead.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #38
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: "Just fucken jabbem heaps Choc!"
Posts: 8,210
vCash: 1325
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Was it?????

OMG!!!!

Funny how NSW ditch the fight but WA pick it up same day....maybe they should pay the fine along with the promoter for allowing the fight to go ahead.

IMO if you picked out 10 other fighters who been out of the game 3 years and if they got offered $250,000 do you think they would lace um up again good or bad....**** yeah

Its not the fighters fault...its the promoter and officials
I wonder how much Ellis was offered to come out his 6-year retirement

1 x return airfare to the Gold Coast to jump in the ring and challenge Mundine, then a couple of bottles of Johnny Walker for consumption before getting in the ring
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #39
stewy
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 652
vCash: 75
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Was it?????

OMG!!!!

Funny how NSW ditch the fight but WA pick it up same day....maybe they should pay the fine along with the promoter for allowing the fight to go ahead.

IMO if you picked out 10 other fighters who been out of the game 3 years and if they got offered $250,000 do you think they would lace um up again good or bad....**** yeah

Its not the fighters fault...its the promoter and officials
there is a big difference between being way past your prime and taking a fight for a massive payday then getting belted for 12 rounds, or ko'd ,then there is in taking a blatant dive!!
stewy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #40
heehoo
TIMEXICAH!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ANAHUAC, CEMANAHUAC
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Well, at the end of the day, it was Briggs who made the decision to get in the ring and further out his health at risk, and it is he who had to deal with the repercussions of the act... if I was told not to fight because my nervous system was ****, I'd listen, though I admit, I'd find it hard to turn down the pay day for a title fight.
heehoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:52 AM   #41
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Sherro belted Briggs in a spar on the Gold Coast 2 years ago (abit over)...****** Footit had just taken over training Briggs and he canned the spar after 2 rounds and advised Briggs to retire then and there...funny i've never heard boo about this eposode since.
darkhorse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #42
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 1394
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrnBruMan View Post
I wonder how much Ellis was offered to come out his 6-year retirement

1 x return airfare to the Gold Coast to jump in the ring and challenge Mundine, then a couple of bottles of Johnny Walker for consumption before getting in the ring

Letster at least gave it a fair shot!
Hmmm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #43
kflex101
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 278
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

It's funny people keep bringing up the Lester Ellis vs Mundine fight as I think it gives us a good perspective.
Compared to Briggs vs Green, this was a far greater mismatch.

Ellis was older, had been retired much longer and was giving away a huge amount more in weight.

Lester (at least for a while) really did put up a decent fight, while Briggs threw in the towel from the start. If he had tried, surely his effort would have got him threw a few rounds.
kflex101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #44
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflex101 View Post
It's funny people keep bringing up the Lester Ellis vs Mundine fight as I think it gives us a good perspective.
Compared to Briggs vs Green, this was a far greater mismatch.

Ellis was older, had been retired much longer and was giving away a huge amount more in weight.

Lester (at least for a while) really did put up a decent fight, while Briggs threw in the towel from the start. If he had tried, surely his effort would have got him threw a few rounds.
Yep....and look at what Lester went through...his life was a mess...at least Lester was prepared to go out on his shield...
....no one can tell me that Briggs didn't know how to survive a few rounds in a boxing ring....**** me he could've just done a Garth Woods until he got DQ'd....all the talk over the years about what a warrior he is...
darkhorse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #45
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Briggs to appeal $75,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflex101 View Post
It's funny people keep bringing up the Lester Ellis vs Mundine fight as I think it gives us a good perspective.
Compared to Briggs vs Green, this was a far greater mismatch...

Sad, but interesting comparison - both were certainly disgraceful mismatches.

Green v Briggs has been done to death here for months. But in a nutshell was a farce that was never going to be a contest, and is lucky not to have cost Briggs what's left of his health.

Mundine v Ellis was equally a farce. Ellis hadn't boxed since being KO'ed by Calvin Grove over 6 years prior, and he fought Mundine 30 pounds heavier than he was against Grove. Ellis was suffering from years of substance abuse, and according to his book, drank a few cans of beer just prior to the fight.

Briggs was dropped by Danny Green's deadly scalping jab in 30 seconds flat.

Ellis at least managed a few rounds, and Mundine acknowledges Ellis stung him with a few body shots.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015