Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-04-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default How does one score fights, in general?

Would someone please explain in detail? Many thanks!
Decebal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How does one score fights, in general?

For the majority of the 3 minutes, i judge it by who is the most dominant over the following two factors:

1.The Ring General: The fighter in control of the action and forcing the action
2.The greater Power, volume and Cleanness of Shots.

My scoring of most fights is generally spot on first time. It does have to be the total of the work produced over the entire 3 minutes of the round though. I scored Calzaghe -Kessler116-113.
SevenSamurai is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Randsom
For the majority of the 3 minutes, i judge it by who is the most dominant over the following two factors:

1.The Ring General: The fighter in control of the action and forcing the action
2.The greater Power, volume and Cleanness of Shots.

My scoring of most fights is generally spot on first time. It does have to be over the entire 3 minutes of the round though. I scored Calzaghe -Kessler116-113.
Ummm, thats not really what Ring Generalship means.

But to the original question. I tend to look at all aspects...or as many as I can.

Obviously the most important thing is landing punches, but I try to put more of an emphasis on how clean the shots were, or how the shots effected the rest of the fight (turning the tide, backing up the fighter, stunning the fighter, changing the other fighters gameplan, etc.). Of course, if the clean powerful shots are outweighed by the activity of the other fighter, that tends to lead to the next thing.

The effectiveness of the fighters aggression. If someone is throwing more shots, and it is effecting the tide of the fight, or effecting the way the other fighter approaches the fight, then it comes into play big time. Then again, if a fighter is coming forward and being aggressive, but getting countered and not landing anything of significance (and the other fighter is), then that aggression is actually NOT a good thing and should be counted against them. Which again, leads me to my next thing.

Who is displaying the better defense. I tend to lay alot more on this than others, due to the fact that a great defender can change a fight without even being that active at all. If a fighter is being aggressive and missing...or being countered...how important is that aggression? All its doing is tiring him, allowing him to open himself up to be hit and pulling the fighter into the opponents gameplan. A good defender, can take my first point (the clean punching) and use it against a fighter using the second point (aggression). Which again brings me to my last point.

Being the ring general. Cutting off the ring. Keeping the opponent fighting your fight. Keeping the opponent off balance. Using footwork with good in and out movement (as well as other movements...). This is the toughest thing to see it a fight, but is also one of the most important....as it plays off of everything above.

That is how I score a fight...and so far it has worked out pretty well for me. VERY few times I have watched a fight again and seen it any different (of course sometimes I can give a close round to the other guy here or there, but) than I did the first time.

Hope that helped.

sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Thank you for the answers so far. I hope to hear from more people. Does anyone try to count the number of (effective) hits?

Last edited by pudding; 08-30-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
joe33

vCash:

A few ways really,either do it properly check for aggresion,punches landed,defence etc,or take a bribe,or even better get drunk before watch the ring girls and pretty women in the crowd,pretend to be interested in yet another borefest,and make the scores up
Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

One thing I don't understand...look at this scenario:

Figher A gets the better of fighter B very slightly IN EACH ROUND...so he wins a very wide UD, 120-108, say.

However, if, INSTEAD, fighter A had got the better of fighter B by quite a substantial amount, but not by complete shutout IN 5 ROUNDS, but B had done slightly better in the other 7 rounds than fighter A, fighter B, would win a narrow UD, 116-114, say.

How can there be such a discrepancy? How can this system of scoring be fair? Surely, in both cases the correct score should suggest a narrow decision for figter A...with the decision being slightly narrower in the second scenario...no?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I would like to ask about...

If, say, 4 rounds in a fight are very even, and fighter A wins all remaining 8 rounds but just very narrowly, does he win the UD by * rounds, or do you give post facto to fighter B some of the even rounds, calling it closer than, say, 120-112? In my opinion, you should...otherwise what is the point of the scoring system anyway if it doesn't discriminate very much according to how close the rounds were, unless it's a complete shutout in a certain round?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for your answers!
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

the 10 point system is crap. IMO one of the problems is that even or almost even rounds should be scored even, but we always strain to find a winner.

When I score a round, I don't think in terms of "ring general", "agressor", or "clean punching" even though they do come into play. I basically score the round to however i think won it, and am careful not to downplay the early goings of the round. There are a million factors that come into play, and alot of it is intuition.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
LeedsLad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I tend to split the rounds up into three 1 minute sections, then score the winner of each minute. It annoys the hell out of me when fighters win the round by just fighting hard in the last minute, so i find this way helps to take into account the whole 3 minutes.
LeedsLad is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
Laydown
Journeyman

WBA is going to change the system and WBC supports the changes. The judges can give a half point round to a fighter or one point for a clear round for a fighter. I think the changes is going to be really good.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Laydown is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
jsimps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

"Who is displaying the better defense. I tend to lay alot more on this than others, due to the fact that a great defender can change a fight without even being that active at all. If a fighter is being aggressive and missing...or being countered...how important is that aggression? All its doing is tiring him, allowing him to open himself up to be hit and pulling the fighter into the opponents gameplan. A good defender, can take my first point (the clean punching) and use it against a fighter using the second point (aggression). Which again brings me to my last point."

Defense does not win rounds. I agree that in the end it may help you win the fight, but a busier, more aggressive fighter will always win the round over someone who displays good defense.
As they say: Clean effective punching and ring generalship, with an emphasize on clean effective punching.
jsimps is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
brimey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Watch Shannon Briggs fight..... the complete opposite of that is how you win a round.
brimey is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
brimey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Watch Shannon Briggs fight..... the complete opposite of that is how you win a round.
brimey is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #13
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

These are the official four categorys when scoring a fight.

Clean punching
Ring generalship
Effective aggressiveness
Defense.

With a strong emphasis on clean punching and effective aggressiveness

Last edited by Slothrop; 08-31-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
Clearly Cool
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think people are way to specific. You can usually tell who is winning without analysing the details. I tend to favour what actually lands. If your a defensive master with footwork and ring generalship, but your opponent lands harder and more often, your not winning on my card.

I never score fights as I first watch a fight. Judging is hard because without replays and rewatching, you cant tell for sure what shots are effective.

Basically it is subjective and ultimately flawed.
Clearly Cool is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Decebal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum