Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: How does one score fights, in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
These are the official four categorys when scoring a fight.

Clean punching
Ring generalship
Effective aggressiveness
Defense.

With a strong emphasis on clean punching and effective aggressiveness
Those are Harold Lederman's and probably Julie Lederman's criteria. But let's just stop for a moment here - What does effective aggressiveness really mean? That you punch clean, right on the money and as often as possible? Should you measure the intensity of the shots ( power punches aside from jabs and total punches)? Should you give strong emphasis to connect rate or total punch output? If you miss a lot, should that mean that your opponent automatically has a great defense? And how can you measure Ring Generalship, is it just a subjective perception or is it that important to make you give 10 to one fighter and 9 to the other? I am just shooting at the air and anyone can answer back along with Robbi and so that we can all "help" Decebal...
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
iceman
Tis my Island
ESB Addict

vCash: 12406665

There are not enough drawn rounds.The early rounds of a big fight are usually very close where the boxers are just feeling each other out,trying to get their timing down etc. - many of these rounds go to the favourite or home town fighter when they should actually be scored 10 - 10. The latter rounds are not usually as close and the better fighter will emerge.
iceman is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #18
ChampionsForever
ESB VIP
ESB Addict

Im so shit at scoring fights it sickens me, I just watch the fight and forget about who won the round really, unless its obvious ofcourse.
ChampionsForever is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 AM   #19
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Thank you for your good answers so far!
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 AM   #20
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

[GV][/GV]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
the 10 point system is crap. IMO one of the problems is that even or almost even rounds should be scored even, but we always strain to find a winner.

When I score a round, I don't think in terms of "ring general", "agressor", or "clean punching" even though they do come into play. I basically score the round to however i think won it, and am careful not to downplay the early goings of the round. There are a million factors that come into play, and alot of it is intuition.
I agree - I'm the same, I pretty much score rounds for whoever I instinctively/intuitively felt won it. Not the most scientific way, I know, but in reality, you're absorbing everything that happened in the round and letting your subconscious decide the winner, which is still a very accurate way of judging it, I feel.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #21
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Decebal is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #22
maciek4
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
One thing I don't understand...look at this scenario:

Figher A gets the better of fighter B very slightly IN EACH ROUND...so he wins a very wide UD, 120-108, say.

However, if, INSTEAD, fighter A had got the better of fighter B by quite a substantial amount, but not by complete shutout IN 5 ROUNDS, but B had done slightly better in the other 7 rounds than fighter A, fighter B, would win a narrow UD, 116-114, say.

How can there be such a discrepancy? How can this system of scoring be fair? Surely, in both cases the correct score should suggest a narrow decision for figter A...with the decision being slightly narrower in the second scenario...no?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I would like to ask about...

If, say, 4 rounds in a fight are very even, and fighter A wins all remaining 8 rounds but just very narrowly, does he win the UD by * rounds, or do you give post facto to fighter B some of the even rounds, calling it closer than, say, 120-112? In my opinion, you should...otherwise what is the point of the scoring system anyway if it doesn't discriminate very much according to how close the rounds were, unless it's a complete shutout in a certain round?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for your answers!
Thats why I thought Castillo dominated Mayweather but then when I learned the rbr system I learned that he beat him in a close fight 115-113 Castillo dominated 7 rounds and Mayweather won narrowly 5 rounds making it a close fight, but if you just watch the fight as a whole you see Castillo whooping his ass like he stole him something.
maciek4 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #23
tragicliston
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I just score the round for whichever fighter I like better.
tragicliston is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #24
the_what
Bolo Punch KO
ESB Addict

Clean punching.
the_what is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #25
Illstate
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

The bottom line is who's boxing better, and by boxing better I mean who's doing the things that makes boxing what it is by definition.
I think that's a simple way to do it.
I look at the sport as a hit him more than he hits you contest, but also hit him with clean boxing punches. Not blocked street fighter clubbing punches.
Land clean Jabs, right hands, hooks, crosses, and upper cuts. Without being hit with the same, and I'll score that round for you
Illstate is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #26
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
Ummm, thats not really what Ring Generalship means.

But to the original question. I tend to look at all aspects...or as many as I can.

Obviously the most important thing is landing punches, but I try to put more of an emphasis on how clean the shots were, or how the shots effected the rest of the fight (turning the tide, backing up the fighter, stunning the fighter, changing the other fighters gameplan, etc.). Of course, if the clean powerful shots are outweighed by the activity of the other fighter, that tends to lead to the next thing.

The effectiveness of the fighters aggression. If someone is throwing more shots, and it is effecting the tide of the fight, or effecting the way the other fighter approaches the fight, then it comes into play big time. Then again, if a fighter is coming forward and being aggressive, but getting countered and not landing anything of significance (and the other fighter is), then that aggression is actually NOT a good thing and should be counted against them. Which again, leads me to my next thing.

Who is displaying the better defense. I tend to lay alot more on this than others, due to the fact that a great defender can change a fight without even being that active at all. If a fighter is being aggressive and missing...or being countered...how important is that aggression? All its doing is tiring him, allowing him to open himself up to be hit and pulling the fighter into the opponents gameplan. A good defender, can take my first point (the clean punching) and use it against a fighter using the second point (aggression). Which again brings me to my last point.

Being the ring general. Cutting off the ring. Keeping the opponent fighting your fight. Keeping the opponent off balance. Using footwork with good in and out movement (as well as other movements...). This is the toughest thing to see it a fight, but is also one of the most important....as it plays off of everything above.

That is how I score a fight...and so far it has worked out pretty well for me. VERY few times I have watched a fight again and seen it any different (of course sometimes I can give a close round to the other guy here or there, but) than I did the first time.

Hope that helped.

Great post
booradley is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #27
thewoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 950

I think that if I was to oversimplify it I would say, the winner of a round is the guy that takes the least amount of damage. This oversimplification really adresses everything that the rest of you have mentioned.
thewoo is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #28
Tettsuo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Clean punching is my main concern when scoring a fight.

For example: Fighter A is hitting Fighter B with nice clean shots for the majority of the round. Fighter B catches Fighter A with 2 impressive shots that look really powerful. IMO, Fighter A wins the round.

I also score jabs differently than I do powershots. Powershots are more important to me and are usually scored higher, so even if a fighter has been jabbing the head of a another fighter all round long, a few good powershots will win the other fighter the round.

All things being equal, I'll look at who is controling the fighter.
Tettsuo is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #29
thewoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tettsuo
I also score jabs differently than I do powershots. Powershots are more important to me and are usually scored higher, so even if a fighter has been jabbing the head of a another fighter all round long, a few good powershots will win the other fighter the round.
I don't agree with you here. We all know power shot is just a term for anything other than a jab. A fighter with a good jab can hurt his opponent a lot with it and I've seen plenty of fights where one fighter does more damage with his jab than his opponent does with his "power shots"
thewoo is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #30
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illstate
The bottom line is who's boxing better, and by boxing better I mean who's doing the things that makes boxing what it is by definition.
I think that's a simple way to do it.
I look at the sport as a hit him more than he hits you contest, but also hit him with clean boxing punches. Not blocked street fighter clubbing punches.
Land clean Jabs, right hands, hooks, crosses, and upper cuts. Without being hit with the same, and I'll score that round for you
So if that's how the bottom line in da scoring business and is that simple, how come a classy boxer takes some "jabs" from a bully, street fighter clubbin & slammin puncher and loses the fight on the cards? I won't mention names but anyone can make out and whateva crosses your mind... I believe people like to see guys getting hit hard, shoulders, back of da head, plenty of blood and balls and pick the stronger guy to win... Oh, and I'm speakin 2 Illstate, so keep ur replies to urselves if you please.
Dorfmeister is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum