Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
biajoli
Prestige... Worldwide
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Mundine (couldabeen was dying to talk about him)

Couldabeen has been very keen to engage me in mundine talk on non mundine threads, so for coulda been here you go, mundine and my current thoughts.

I really don't get why true boxing fans and people that know the ins and outs of boxing hate on mundine?
Mundine regardless of your oppinion on him personally is a rare talent, a world class talent.
I do agree that mundine has consistantly taken the easy option to money and weaker titles, and whilst it is disappointing it is business, and its not the first or last time a boxer takes easier money.
If you know your boxing pretty much 90% of boxers take the easy money and have only a rare few top notch fights. Current examples, look at klitchko fighting briggs, pbf dodging pac, hayes dodging everyone.
Even retired greats look at Undefeated Joe calzaghe, a career of fighting also rans and top 100 journeyman with a few fights in his twilight with past it great names to pan out the resume.
I think Mundine could have matched it with any of the worlds best had he stuck to that path and am dissapointed he didn't but i still respect his talent and what it takes to stay in such peak condition for such a long period of time.
With regard to Mundine calling out the likes of Cotto etc, FFS what boxer doesn't call out names? It is a sport of entertainment and promotion and dollars, how the **** can you hate on someone for carrying the same flag that every single boxer has since the dawn of time?
Mundine as a boxer has decided to cast himself as the villain and base the character somewhat on a muhhamad ali type of extravert, and that does alienate him from a lot of people, but mundine the person is personable, charitable and a great role model for kids who gives a hell of a lot back!

I could understand frustration at his cards of late, and I would agree there has been some poor cards, but blame that on his management and promotion, mundine does not organise every detail of every card, and it is naive to think he does.

And for the record couldabeen, cotto will drop weight and Mundine has the talent to unify the devision of whats left, he probably wont. But he will have another title or two before he hangs up the gloves, and yes probably which ever ones he has the easiest and most cost effective/profitable path too, I'll still be cheering.
biajoli is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970
Default Re: Mundine (couldabeen was dying to talk about him)

That's about as disjointed and aimless as the career you are discussing:

Couldabeen has been very keen to engage me in mundine talk on non mundine threads, so for coulda been here you go, mundine and my current thoughts.

Your posts have been hilarious. I enjoy them - but critisize them for the fantasy they represent.

I really don't get why true boxing fans and people that know the ins and outs of boxing hate on mundine?

You answer your own question below:
*He casts himself as a villian.
*Calls out big names and fights little ones.
*Invariably takes the easiest path.
*Fights on crummy Boxa cards that are drawing less & less interest.

Mundine regardless of your oppinion on him personally is a rare talent, a world class talent.

A rare sporting talent, and an excellent boxing talent - no question there.

I do agree that mundine has consistantly taken the easy option to money and weaker titles, and whilst it is disappointing it is business, and its not the first or last time a boxer takes easier money.

And you asked above why people hate on him - because 'he has consistantly taken the easy option.'

If you know your boxing pretty much 90% of boxers take the easy money and have only a rare few top notch fights. Current examples, look at klitchko fighting briggs, pbf dodging pac, hayes dodging everyone.

The 10% (the Katsidis, Darchinyans etc) are the ones who earn and get the respect Choc craves.

Even retired greats look at Undefeated Joe calzaghe, a career of fighting also rans and top 100 journeyman with a few fights in his twilight with past it great names to pan out the resume.

Work your way through Calzaghe's opponents and see how many Choc would have chosen to fight, and from those, how many he would have beaten:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

(did you see any Falligas in there?)

I think Mundine could have matched it with any of the worlds best had he stuck to that path and am dissapointed he didn't but i still respect his talent and what it takes to stay in such peak condition for such a long period of time.

'Could have'.

'Had he stuck to the path'.

You have again answered you own question.

With regard to Mundine calling out the likes of Cotto etc, FFS what boxer doesn't call out names? It is a sport of entertainment and promotion and dollars, how the **** can you hate on someone for carrying the same flag that every single boxer has since the dawn of time?

The disparity between who he calls out and who he actually fights is as wide as anybody ever. That doesn't earn you respect, other than as a bragart, and that's something Aussies have always detested!

Mundine as a boxer has decided to cast himself as the villain and base the character somewhat on a muhhamad ali type of extravert, and that does alienate him from a lot of people, but mundine the person is personable, charitable and a great role model for kids who gives a hell of a lot back!

The public face is the big mouth villain - might work in the States - but it will never win him the respect he so richly craves from the Australian boxing public.

I could understand frustration at his cards of late, and I would agree there has been some poor cards, but blame that on his management and promotion, mundine does not organise every detail of every card, and it is naive to think he does.

You have again answered your own question. The public only see the 'package' on offer in the ring. What difference is to the guy who gets ripped off at the box office who's fault in the Mundine team it is for the poor product?

And for the record couldabeen, cotto will drop weight and Mundine has the talent to unify the devision of whats left, he probably wont.

Again, you've answered your own question, and you are being kind to him saying 'probably won't'. Have a look at his disjointed record and adjust that to 'won't'.

But he will have another title or two before he hangs up the gloves, and yes probably which ever ones he has the easiest and most cost effective/profitable path too, I'll still be cheering.

Yet again you've answered your own question!

Easiest paths don't lead to respect, let alone legacies.

By all means enjoy what Boxa serve up in future - but excuse the majority if they don't get too excited by what's dished up if it includes the Cotto & Mayweather call-outs but resembles this:

COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
biajoli
Prestige... Worldwide
ESB Jr Member

You missed the point of what I was saying.
That is boxing, do you hate PBF? Was calzaghe a hack? Are the klitchko's bums?
every single boxer talks smack, makes call outs, choses the easiest most profitable option. Mundine is not robinson crusoe in this department.
Also the 10% of boxers that do , I greatly respect, but the reason they chase is the likes of the kats etc do not have bankable names and cannot command fights for the purse mundine can, kats vs falinga would not PPV, it wouldnt even headline a fox broadcast. So that is your difference. 90% are the same as mundine, the rest do not have the pull or are not as bankable and do not have the option.
Anyway you wanted my oppinion so there it is.
biajoli is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

You missed the point of what I was saying.

Strangely, I think you missed your own point. The first question you raised was:

'I really don't get why true boxing fans and people that know the ins and outs of boxing hate on mundine?'

...and amazingly you proceded to supply numerous reasons why they wouldn't respect him in the remainder of your post!

That is boxing, do you hate PBF?

Funny you should ask that. Because though I respect his ability, I have no time for him whatsoever, and would love to see PacMan flog him.

Was calzaghe a hack?

No, and as I pointed out above when you seemed to be critizing him, his record and Choc's are chalk and cheese. I respected Calzaghe more than most, and still do.

Are the klitchko's bums?

Not at all. They are highly efficient fighting machines that fight in a very effective, albeit very predictable manner that unfortunately makes them as boring as bat-shit to watch.

every single boxer talks smack, makes call outs, choses the easiest most profitable option. Mundine is not robinson crusoe in this department.

No, but in Oz he sticks out as the worst exponent of it. How he thinks the trash-talking, PBF 'style' gangster/rapper persona will result in respect for him with Australian audiences is beyond me. Two very different markets the US and here - and Choc plainly doesn't realise that.

Also the 10% of boxers that do , I greatly respect, but the reason they chase is the likes of the kats etc do not have bankable names and cannot command fights for the purse mundine can,

I'll take you back to your original question:

'I really don't get why true boxing fans and people that know the ins and outs of boxing hate on mundine?'

kats vs falinga would not PPV, it wouldnt even headline a fox broadcast.

That Choc v Falliga was PPV is a disgrace not to be proud or boastful of. Back to your original question one more time:

So that is your difference. 90% are the same as mundine, the rest do not have the pull or are not as bankable and do not have the option.

The funniest thing is Choc seems to want to play the bad guy, but be liked or loved like the good guy. He desperately craves the respect of the 10%, but continues to be one of the worst offenders of the 90%.

.....and whether it's his own fault or that of his management makes no difference to the guy not getting value for money at the box office.

Anyway you wanted my oppinion so there it is.

You're entitled to your opinion - I just disagree with it.

The diminishing number of Mundine supporters at ESB - there's barely one left - tends to suggest mine is the more common view.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

CHB....how can you argue with chocs world titles
ashley is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
TheDuke
Let me marry Boxed Ears

vCash: 75

It's impossible to argue against Mundine fans. These faggots would be happy to go into gourmet restaurants and then get served a McDonalds cheeseburger for $49.95
TheDuke is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
CHB....how can you argue with chocs world titles

I won't dignify that with any more than it deserves Ash - nice try mate.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
I won't dignify that with any more than it deserves Ash - nice try mate.

I will get you next time
ashley is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #9
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

As you've cast your line in Ash, and it is afterall your favourite subject, what are your thoughts on why the Australian public have never really taken Choc into their hearts, and how those that did now seem to be abandoning him in droves?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
As you've cast your line in Ash, and it is afterall your favourite subject, what are your thoughts on why the Australian public have never really taken Choc into their hearts, and how those that did now seem to be abandoning him in droves?
Good to see your always up for a chat about Mundine
ashley is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #11
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Good to see your always up for a chat about Mundine

....and that you've abandoned him like most others

(it wasn't my thread and YOU chose to post in it)
Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
It's impossible to argue against Mundine fans. These faggots would be happy to go into gourmet restaurants and then get served a McDonalds cheeseburger for $49.95
LMAO brilliant comparison! laughed my azz off!

i used to be a huge mundine fan but i just stopped watching when he stopped fighting creditable opponents. I watched him fight Siaca live ringside front row seats i was that much of a fan. When he steps up he usually falls short, Kessler etc his robbing himselfs of so many great fights because he doesnt want another loss on his record, what he doesnt understand is fighting the top guys will gain him more respect win loose or draw than what he is currently doing and milking the public in the process.

It hasnt become a sport for Mundine anymore, its become a bussiness venture, much the same as what Danny Green is doing.

Fighting local adverage fighters and calling out Mayweather & Cotto in the same night is a bit of a far stretch, its a ploy to keep us all watching and most likely will never ever happen, i doubt Cotto of Floyd even know who Mundine is.

Green paid MILLIONS to get RJJ out here. Ill give him that much.

Why doesnt Mundine pay Cotto MILLIONs to come out here and get it on, or Mayweather? He has bucket loads of cash but keeps using the excuse they want ridiculose money. When Green got RJJ out here i expected Mundine to return serve, he is yet to do so and has become somewhat of a let down and dissapointment to some of his fans.

Now im gonna sit back with some popcorn and watch these two go at it
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
mahunga
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

A minority of people see mediocrity and say this is great feed me more,but most educated Boxing Fans can see it's all smoke and Mirrors,I have said it before there are a lot of so called Champions around now who have Dodgey Resume's and if we turned the Clock back 40 years ago they would be just good TV Ringside Fighters,I am afraid Mundine would be one of them.!!!!

Mahunga
mahunga is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #14
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biajoli View Post

And for the record couldabeen, cotto will drop weight and Mundine has the talent to unify the devision of whats left, he probably wont. But he will have another title or two before he hangs up the gloves, and yes probably which ever ones he has the easiest and most cost effective/profitable path too, I'll still be cheering.
Hey **** head, I stopped reading your dribblish post as soon as I read the second line.

If you're too simple and stupid to answer that question yourself, the you fail big time.

Now politely **** off and lay down in traffic.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #15
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side Guru

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJ8ILIE780[/ame]
stiflers mum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum