Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #16
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Re: Parrying shots with elbows: Legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepunch View Post
No I meant it looks like a deliberate attempt to injure the guy hitting you.

it is if its the same thing i was told. i didnt like the idea of it
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #17
Onepunch
Prestigeous clincher
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Meh, in all fairness he's trying to injure your face, I don't see a problem with it as long as it doesn't result in a broken hand.

I've never been warned by a ref for it yet. Tbh, slipping and parrying are better imo because of a wider counter window.
Onepunch is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #18
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepunch View Post
Meh, in all fairness he's trying to injure your face, I don't see a problem with it as long as it doesn't result in a broken hand.

I've never been warned by a ref for it yet. Tbh, slipping and parrying are better imo because of a wider counter window.

a fights a different story, a fights a fight and we all know rightly or wrong the rules are bent slightly in boxing. this guy was using it in sparring and even in drills. He got me right on the wrist once and i couldnt use that hand for about 10 mins. It wouldnt take much more effort or accuracy to break it i wouldnt have thought.

Personally i wouldnt use it in the gym with gym-mates or sparring partners and risk ruining their boxing
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
dtravis92

vCash: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockNapalm View Post
Yes, the bottom one where the shot is being deflected is what I'm talking about.
Alright thats what I thought, its a great defense IMO. You don't really try to "hit" with the elbow, rather the angled forearm redirects the force competely. There is a group called the Crazy Monkey Defense (i know) that focuses mainly on blocking like that. They have different levels to their game, such as CM1, CM2, and CM3. CM1 is done at the end of someones reach with the arm motions as pictured, then CM2 incorporates the slipping and weaving movements to close the distance and allow different counterstriking, and CM3 is clinch boxing. Here is a great resource for videos that they have put out on youtube for free, i think if you like this style then you could really benefit from watching these videos.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

On the playlists section go over to "Introduction to CM Phase 1 Boxing", there is a ton of great videos there. The other playlist "CMD Sparring 101" is also full of great material.

Last edited by dtravis92; 11-06-2010 at 03:47 PM.
dtravis92 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #20
anthony jr
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
i was told by another guy at the gym to do it, for body shots at least, block with your elbows and kind of like chop down on their wrist as the shot comes in. he did it too me and it hurt like hell. seemed dirty to me, especially as he used it in the gym in sparring and even drills.... needless to say i ignored that piece of advice
my coach was telling me the other day that happened to him in one of his fights snapped his his tendonds or ligament one ov them i think he said it was horrible every time he went to throw a jab his arm just flopped
anthony jr is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #21
Kevin_Wright
King of Awesomeland
ESB Full Member

vCash: 326

It seems like that would leave your ribs...extremely...wide...open...?...?

I saw a guy get taken away from the fight in an ambulance because of a rib shot.
Kevin_Wright is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #22
Onepunch
Prestigeous clincher
ESB Full Member

unless you have arms like mr tickle, you'll always have to leave something open to defend another part of you.

Part of the art of boxing is to make sure you defend the right part.
Onepunch is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #23
ShamrockNapalm
Rhythm Amongst The Chaos
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis92 View Post
Alright thats what I thought, its a great defense IMO. You don't really try to "hit" with the elbow, rather the angled forearm redirects the force competely. There is a group called the Crazy Monkey Defense (i know) that focuses mainly on blocking like that. They have different levels to their game, such as CM1, CM2, and CM3. CM1 is done at the end of someones reach with the arm motions as pictured, then CM2 incorporates the slipping and weaving movements to close the distance and allow different counterstriking, and CM3 is clinch boxing. Here is a great resource for videos that they have put out on youtube for free, i think if you like this style then you could really benefit from watching these videos.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

On the playlists section go over to "Introduction to CM Phase 1 Boxing", there is a ton of great videos there. The other playlist "CMD Sparring 101" is also full of great material.
Awesome stuff man. Thanks a bunch
ShamrockNapalm is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #24
dtravis92

vCash: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wright View Post
It seems like that would leave your ribs...extremely...wide...open...?...?

I saw a guy get taken away from the fight in an ambulance because of a rib shot.
This is the thing most people see with this defense, if your stance is not right then your body is extremely open. They use a "hunchback" stance which brings your elbows down and negates any weak arm punch to the body. If the person goes to throw a heavy shot then you should have time to defend it. I think the important thing to keep in mind here is that no matter what you do, there will always be some opening to be hit if you aren't focused and on your game.

Here is a video of the creator of CMD explaining the stance and why your body isn't wide open if you are doing it correctly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76KC-JkvyM[/ame]

And here is a video of them doing some sparring, it should give you a good idea of what it tends to look like. Keep in mind this is them showing what "CM1" is supposed to look like, so they are trying to keep that distance between themselves, so that they are at the end of their opponents punches. So their isn't any closing the distance or infighting going on here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ8NbkaQbWY[/ame]
dtravis92 is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #25
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

It is a solid defensive move, but it has serious drawbacks. I use it and would prefer to use it in the street as a fist is too small to use to block (mine) or hope to block (his) due to breaking (my) hand bones or causing deep bruising.

If a guy feints you or doubles a hook hi/low (Tyson) you could be screwed. The problem is that if you use it out of range it takes an arm completely out of the picture. Being that it is most likely your jab hand it ruins you being able to fire off your "stay back" shot.

So it is much better to manage distance or parry stay a bit out of range and throw. If you are rolling your hands up like that you are most likely in the WRONG place, bka too close.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #26
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

its very effective. i use this block against right hands. elbow up with a twist/roll to the right and come back with a straight right or right uppercut counter. I only use the L elbow though.
bck620 is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #27
Onepunch
Prestigeous clincher
ESB Full Member

Its good for setting up a right hand counter to the jab.

Its good if you're in trouble on the back foot

It shouldn't however be your go to move imo.
Onepunch is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #28
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think Archie Moore used it very effectly also. That crab or cross arm type of guard REALLY discourages right hands to the body...
bck620 is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #29
Onepunch
Prestigeous clincher
ESB Full Member

BTW.. CMD boxing is generally considered to be suited well to MMA because of the fact it defends well against a smaller glove, offers some counter opportunities and uses a wide stance.

In boxing, it is useful but, due to the mechanics behind the elbow blocks and counters, it is mainly a straight punching style. Some guys find this really limiting. Hooks are possible but they don't carry the same tempo as the sparring vids you saw.
Onepunch is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #30
myboxingcoach
myboxingcoach

Interesting thread guys. The video article here (2 videos) describes the way [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] can be waged. Very effective defences to hooks on both sides, body and head. Saves clamming up like a shell and allows you to spot openings and respond with your own shots. I agree, CMD just seems to leave far too much body on show, and most boxers are taught to be deadly with body shots unlike many MMA fighters that I've seen who appear to neglect body shots.
myboxingcoach is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing