Old 11-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #91
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: Calzaghe's Old School Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
but who is saying you have to replace all that? strength training is a supplement to your actual training, imo it should be done once a week,

surely rdj you agree with sprinting?

that kid says sprinting has nothing to do with boxing, but what does running 6 miles have to do with it?
I agree with sprinting the same way I agree with weights. It's suboptimal. It will improve fitness, but not as good as specific exersize would. You are right, running has shit to do with boxing either. I quit running because of shit knees, but my stamina has never been better for some reason. If you run too much you may lose power in the legs, or mess up some other balance. Like I said I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everything, my body knows it much better.

I think you have a healthy approach to the weights issue, once a week sounds just fine. If you do it in between technical boxing sessions (as opposed to conditioning drills and the likes) it does not intervene with actual boxing training. And as long as you stick to compound lifts it can be beneficial.
RDJ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #92
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall
Obviously everyone here thinks lifting weights is bodybuilding, 8-12 reps, get that good old pump going.
That does hinder the discussion somewhat indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall
Noone tried powerlifting? Westside Barbell?
Try a good dynamic bench day and tell me that ain't explosive!
Explosive compared to regular lifting? Yes. Explosive compared to a punch? No.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #93
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Read my posts for the stopwatch reference,Look at nearly all the guys that moved up,they all lost speed,stamina and sometimes power...
And the heavweights that weight train have less stamina and punch output than guys of yesteryear...
As for powerlifting,well have you guys examples of any guys that improved power/speed after powerlifting,i understand the difference between body building,powerlifting and olympic lifting,but you guys dont seem to understand that weights in boxing are not correlated to increases in speed/power in punching in the same way that it has been proved/shown in disciplines like 100 m sprinting that weight training is beneficial......
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #94
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by enquirer
Read my posts for the stopwatch reference,Look at nearly all the guys that moved up,they all lost speed,stamina and sometimes power...
And the heavweights that weight train have less stamina and punch output than guys of yesteryear...
As for powerlifting,well have you guys examples of any guys that improved power/speed after powerlifting,i understand the difference between body building,powerlifting and olympic lifting,but you guys dont seem to understand that weights in boxing are not correlated to increases in speed/power in punching in the same way that it has been proved/shown in disciplines like 100 m sprinting that weight training is beneficial......
****in hell!! what about a stopwatch?!!!!!

heavyweight dont have bad stamina because of weight training but because of NEGLECTING CONDITIONING!

wladimir klitschko is probably the most conditioned heavyweight we have today and he weight trains, and WHO went up in weight and became slower and lost power, WHO!?

it may also have something to do with following a hypertrophy routine.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #95
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmonzon
Joe Calzaghe has often stated that he only does old school style training.

Runs six miles a day on flat surfaces and hills. Hits the pads and bags, spars, and does calisthenics. Pushups, pullups, situps. He has stated that he never does any sort of weight lifting. In other words trains like the all time greats.

With this sort of training, he is never tired, throws 100 plus punches per round, has tremendous speed and is very flexible and mobile. He never loses.

He also consistently defeats fighters that train with so called modern methods. e.g., Kessler lifts weights and uses machines, ditto for Manfredo, Lacy and Bika, etc.

Could it be that all the nonsense about not running long distances and using weights that is espoused on this site by many is just pure nonsense from "trainers" that have never stepped in ring?

There really is no such thing as "modern training methods" in boxing because modern training has no "method" whatsoever. All they have is a hodge podge of silly ass ideas they read about in some stupid bodybuilding magazine. When boxers have to dry out to the tune of 15 or 20 pounds for a fight, that has to tell you everything you need to know about the foolishness of their training.
ralphc is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #96
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enquirer
I think you're having problems understanding very basic things here. Weight training is a very small component of a boxer, if someone wants a bit more strength get him/here lifting weights, doing this will not make them a better boxer but it will make them stronger and or faster and or have improved endurance. Now, do you understand?
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #97
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™
I think you're having problems understanding very basic things here. Weight training is a very small component of a boxer, if someone wants a bit more strength get him/here lifting weights, doing this will not make them a better boxer but it will make them stronger and or faster and or have improved endurance. Now, do you understand?

We understand you are talking nonsense because you have no proof that it has ever happened.
ralphc is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #98
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphc
We understand you are talking nonsense because you have no proof that it has ever happened.
What ever happened? I'm not talking about a specific event, I'm talking about the way the human body reacts to increased resistance. So you don't believe lifting weights can potentially improve strength, speed and endurance?
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #99
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

The question isn't "will lifting improve strength" because it probably will. The question is "will it improve strength more than sports specific training" (bag work in this case). And then there's speed which is more questionable since a punch is much faster than whatever lift you can come up with. It's like putting a truck engine in a race car and expect it to be faster because it has more horsepower.

My conclusion is yes it may help you but you would have been better off doing regular boxing workout.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #100
youngmonzon
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenwils
Frank Bruno never touched a bag or ran a mile, he was natrually talented.
Frank Bruno was a muscle bound freak. He was quite possibly the worst heavyweight "champion' ever. He also consistently gassed in the later stages of fights and was KO'd. See matches with Witherspoon and Bone Crusher Smith as examples.

He needed old school training in every way.
youngmonzon is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #101
youngmonzon
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
James Toney.
Fat Slob Toney lost many key fights due to stamina issues. He needs roadwork, desperately.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #102
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Freddie Roach former strength and conditioning coach ****** Fortune was a former Powerlifting champion. He was the one who managed Pacmans strength and conditioning...did a pretty good job to me. Hatton also does weights and he uses his strength very well in the ring aswell as keep up a great stamina.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #103
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmonzon
Fat Slob Toney lost many key fights due to stamina issues. He needs roadwork, desperately.
Well in his last fights you are right, but prior to that Toney never had stamina issues. Even at cruiserweight. I heard on many occasions that all James does is sparring, he's very lazy in other disciplines.

He lost some fights because he's too defensive sometimes. I don't think he does that to rest. I have the same tendency while sparring, if it doesn't connect I'm not bothered, but a judge sees it as aggression and rewards it.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #104
youngmonzon
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless

please define anaerobic, or atleast tell me what the difference between aerobic and anaerobic is.

'explosive bodyweights' anaerobic
Regardless of the definitions, Calzaghe's old school workouts get him what he needs, just like every great fighter.

Does any one really believe there have been better fighters than Ali, Monzon, Hagler, Calzaghe, Joe Louis, Marciano, Basilio, Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, Bill Conn, etc.?

All these guys ran long slow distance, did calisthenics instead of weights AND had plenty of explosiveness and never got tired over 15 rounds.

Case in point, when Emmauel Steward switched W. Klitschko to 6 miles of road work a day, his fight stamina improved drastically.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #105
youngmonzon
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You lot clearly have some issue with weights. I don't know if it's plain stupidity or what, but you really need to do some research.
Ross had one amateur fight, which he LOST! Enough said.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing