Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #46
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Distinct lack of boxing drills on youtube.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
1-2 seconds per burpee is time to recover.
1-2 seconds cannot possibly be counted as recovery time, particulary when your legs aren't even resting since you're doing a pushup.

Quote:
also on that you have 30 seconds and every push up takes 1-2 seconds longer you lose like 2-3 burpees per 30 seconds and 6-9 per round so it gives the legs a break in that way too.
Having a pushup and a full jump at the end will give better results in the long run. Sacraficing a few burpees for better conditioning is fine with me.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #47
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey Man View Post
BB on cuts in 6.
No way, Mr VIP by correct form burpee in 1....
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #48
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
1-2 seconds cannot possibly be counted as recovery time, particulary when your legs aren't even resting since you're doing a pushup.

Having a pushup and a full jump at the end will give better results in the long run. Sacraficing a few burpees for better conditioning is fine with me.
i agree with the full jump from squatting to straight out absolutely just not the push up.

1-2 seconds i dont know havnt tried it ill do it tomorrow see how it works out how much different it feels in the legs when i stop the burpees and hit the bag.
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #49
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Those critisising the video- its not an instructional otherwise I would have spoke my way through it- its a workout I do and a demo of it. I'm hardly trying to be Mr Motivator- just put some idea's out there.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #50
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

the video was just to give you an idea, that's all. I'm sure his idea wasn't to go 100%. He just did a quick video to give others some ideas. What's wrong with that? The more videos the better. And I would never criticize another if I wasn't ready to put up a video of myself...
bck620 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #51
BOI GT
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 676

Hey I learned something new from it. First time I've ever heard or seen any form of a burpee done.
BOI GT is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #52
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Im going to have to jump on the bandwagon here but I have a few points.

1- It should be called conditioning for boxing or boxing conditioning not a boxing drill as it really isnt skill based and a real drill will help you hone your skills.

2- If it is "conditioning" than it should be intense. I am sorry but that was a very subpar effort and anybody following that would gain about as much from that as running at a 10:00 mile pace...barely more than walking speed.

3- Do a real jump, I mean cmon. Explosiveness and putting effort in is where you get into shape, and add a pushup, you get your rest at the end of the round! I dont care what any of you guys say here, adding a pushup really jacks up the intensity and no your legs dont recover so quite over analyzing whether a pushup gives you time to recover. Ive done both ways and with the pushup is much harder and you HAVE to jump.

4- Shadowbox harder, its conditioning, the shadowboxing isnt rest. Like I said, the rest comes at the end of the round and its not a skill drill.

5- If it is instructional than maybe mention there is another way to do burpees (with or without a real jump and/or pushup) for the less fit individuals.

and yes, I will make a video if my knee can handle the burpees. (injury). Ive done this routine lots in the past.

/rant

I like the idea though. Make an eastside boxing channel with drills from the forum members. Skill drills, conditioning and maybe even proper form on various sport specific exercises.
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #53
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilistStudent View Post
Im going to have to jump on the bandwagon here but I have a few points.

1- It should be called conditioning for boxing or boxing conditioning not a boxing drill as it really isnt skill based and a real drill will help you hone your skills.

/rant
what would you consider a real drill then?

or if say its supposed to hone your skills what kind of drill would you do to improve your sense of distance with your jab?
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #54
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
what would you consider a real drill then?

or if say its supposed to hone your skills what kind of drill would you do to improve your sense of distance with your jab?
I'd call a boxing drill more of a technical exercise. In Russia we call it "school of boxing", where we work with a partner to play specific roles (e.g. you only through body punches, he keeps you off with the jab, or working specific combinations while he uses specific defenses.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #55
rongee90
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I want to see VIP and BB spar!!! fight! fight! fight!....you can kiss and make up after! : )
rongee90 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #56
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
I'd call a boxing drill more of a technical exercise. In Russia we call it "school of boxing", where we work with a partner to play specific roles (e.g. you only through body punches, he keeps you off with the jab, or working specific combinations while he uses specific defenses.
do you have any boxing drills for just one person? is it possible to do boxing drills with out 2 people?

whats a good drill to improve my sense distance with my jab?

did a round of the burpees/hitting. i was only able to do a round before my knee started hurting.

yesterday after my third set of burpees in the first round my legs felt like jelly for a few seconds when i frist started hitting the bag. today when i did the burpess i did a push up as well and not once did my legs feel like jelly, i just had excruciating pain in my right knee when i squatted down so i had to stop after one round. im going to let my knee rest a few days and try them again hopefully they wont damage my knee as much though if they do they probly arnt the best thing for tall people a shame though as i definatly feel it in my hamstrings lower back abs shoulders terres major and serratus anterior.

Last edited by Ylem; 11-11-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #57
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

What kind of statement is pushups arn't good in boxing, wtfman
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #58
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
do you have any boxing drills for just one person? is it possible to do boxing drills with out 2 people?

whats a good drill to improve my sense distance with my jab?

did a round of the burpees/hitting. i was only able to do a round before my knee started hurting.

yesterday after my third set of burpees in the first round my legs felt like jelly for a few seconds when i frist started hitting the bag. today when i did the burpess i did a push up as well and not once did my legs feel like jelly, i just had excruciating pain in my right knee when i squatted down so i had to stop after one round. im going to let my knee rest a few days and try them again hopefully they wont damage my knee as much though if they do they probly arnt the best thing for tall people a shame though as i definatly feel it in my hamstrings lower back abs shoulders terres major and serratus anterior.
Maybe if you did some proper strength training you'd be able to handle the stresses on your body of doing a bodyweight squat. It's got nothing to do with being tall or not you muppet. Be careful though not to convert those slow twitch fibres in your hand into fast twitch fibres and therefore slowing you down.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #59
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
What kind of half assed burpee are those? I suppose they fit into a high intensity circuit but damn they look a tonne easier. What kind of statement is pushups arn't good in boxing, that is the most misguided thing i've heard in a long time.
if you have the time there are much better things you can do with the same amount effort.

why is the push up so good? because its been a staple to boxers forever? yet at the same time boxers are ignorant and un-evolved compared to every other sport when it comes to weights.....
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #60
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Be careful though not to convert those slow twitch fibres in your hand into fast twitch fibres and therefore slowing you down.
oh shit, that can happen? i better stop now before i convert any more.

look at those legs jacked to hell eh? yet some how he can run at almost 13 miles an hour for 2 hours straight
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

but hes professional marathon runner.....then whats a professional boxer? slow twitch muscles will put you in the game with skills way ahead of your age but im an ignorant idiot who knows nothing and should listen to everyone except myself for any one out there that was wondering if you should take my advice.

Last edited by Ylem; 11-11-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Ylem is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing