Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #61
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Distinct lack of boxing drills on youtube.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
if you have the time there are much better things you can do with the same amount effort.
Such as...?

Quote:
why is the push up so good? because its been a staple to boxers forever? yet at the same time boxers are ignorant and un-evolved compared to every other sport when it comes to weights.....
Pushups are a basic conditioning movement used in pretty much all combat sports. Shoulder stability can also be improved by doing pushups on a med ball. Since your theory about the pecs being usless to a boxer, it goes against doing pushups. Idiotic if you ask me and I think everyone else would also agree. Pushups will always be a staple in any coniditioning program whether it be for combat sports or general training.

How do you come up with this shit that goes against what most people know to work? You just make everything up don't you?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #62
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Such as...?

Pushups are a basic conditioning movement used in pretty much all combat sports. Since your theory about the pecs being usless to a boxer, it goes against doing pushups. Idiotic if you ask me and I think everyone else would also agree.
shrugs pull ups bringing the bar to your midsection, and full sit ups starting with your hands above your head to touching your toes will cover everything and then some.

and those push ups with your feet elevated not sure if its incline or decline i think decline work the clavicle head more and then the opposite (incline?) bench press work the clavicle head more as well so if your are going to do push ups or bench press i would reccomend you do them in that fassion.
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #63
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
shrugs pull ups bringing the bar to your midsection, and full sit ups starting with your hands above your head to touching your toes will cover everything and then some.
And none of these work anything close to the muscles used in a pushup. If I wanted a list of completely random exercises I would have asked for a list of random exercises...
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #64
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
And none of these work anything close to the muscles used in a pushup. If I wanted a list of completely random exercises I would have asked for a list of random exercises...
just do decline push ups then
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #65
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lets make it simple, show us the articles that you got your theories from, particularly this working the chest is useless to boxers crap.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #66
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
look at those legs jacked to hell eh? yet some how he can run at almost 13 miles an hour for 2 hours straight
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

but hes professional marathon runner.....then whats a professional boxer?
A professional boxer is a professional boxer...

Quote:
slow twitch muscles will put you in the game with skills way ahead of your age
If you're a marathon runner yes, boxers are not marathon runners. Put a marathon runner in a boxing ring, he'd gas and get his head smashed in. Also look at my earlier example of Tyson, an extreme amount of fast twitch muscle fibres in that guy, check that power.

Quote:
but im an ignorant idiot
Yup.

Quote:
who knows nothing
Yup.

Quote:
and should listen to everyone except myself
Yup.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #67
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
if you have the time there are much better things you can do with the same amount effort.

why is the push up so good? because its been a staple to boxers forever? yet at the same time boxers are ignorant and un-evolved compared to every other sport when it comes to weights.....
I'm no sport scientist but as long as known recorded history pushups have been a staple in strength conditioning. They give you refined strength over a long period of time, all your shoulder, anterior, chest muscles and tendons come into place perfect for punching and the upper body resistance movement is ingrained.

The manner in which you generate upper body force and the type of muscle response and resistance needed for 6-12 rds is perfect when doing pushups.

Whats the problem with them? The lack of explosiveness is usually the suspect. But many anti push up guys dont see Boxing is a functional endurance sport they dont get it's not all KO's and throwing bombs.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #68
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Quote:

If you're a marothon runner yes, boxers are ot marathon runners. Put a marathin runner in a boxing ring and he'd gas and get his head smashed in.
We had a marathon runner train in our gym at one time. At the time, I was surprised to find out that he gassed out after one round on the heavy bag.

I sure as hell couldn't run a marathon but I can keep a high workrate on the bag for at least 5 rounds.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #69
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibit View Post
We had a marathon runner train in our gym at one time. At the time, I was surprised to find out that he gassed out after one round on the heavy bag.

I sure as hell couldn't run a marathon but I can keep a high workrate on the bag for at least 5 rounds.
Different movements means different muscles used and different stresses on the cardio system. A few strides while running is a LOT less taxing than a solid left hook.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #70
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibit View Post

bet it wasnt because his legs were tired.

in that you train for it sooo much your upperbody looses much of its mass a marathon runner straight away wouldnt be a good boxer but give him a year and im sure he would have no problem with 5 rounds on the bag and then 5 rounds shadow boxing.

my point isnt that a marathon runner would be a good boxer but that the muscles a boxer wants on his chest back arms core legs are the same muscles a marthon runner has in his legs.
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #71
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I played touch footy with a guy who does marathons. Muscle strength they lack, but their cardio system is ingrained with a set rhythm for managing oxygen over a long time. If you throw them out of that rhythm they get buggered like us.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #72
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If you gas your body starts to shut down. So yes his legs were tired.

Quote:
in that you train for it sooo much your upperbody looses much of its mass
You lose mass from your entire body, not just the upper body.

Quote:
a marathon runner straight away wouldnt be a good boxer but give him a year and im sure he would have no problem with 5 rounds on the bag and then 5 rounds shadow boxing.
But as a marathon runner he has a huge amount of slow twitch muscle fibres, why would he need a year to adjust to boxing? This kind of disproves your point... Give ANYONE a year of boxing training and they could fight 5 rounds.

Quote:
my point isnt that a marathon runner would be a good boxer but that the muscles a boxer wants on his chest back arms core legs are the same muscles a marthon runner has in his legs.
What, small, slow and weak?

Awful, pathetic theory yet again.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #73
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Lets make it simple, show us the articles that you got your theories from, particularly this working the chest is useless to boxers crap.
I know it dosnt count as its only yahoo answers ill keep looking but in the meanwhile:

Quote:
Since a powerful punch requires a strong base, the most important muscles would be the leg muscles and glutes (your ***) to properly generate the punching power and transfer it to the torso. Pectorals, biceps, triceps, don't really matter too much with generating punching power, as the power has already been generated from the legs and core and the upper body simply transfers the energy to the fist.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #74
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:

in that you train for it sooo much your upperbody looses much of its mass a marathon runner straight away wouldnt be a good boxer but give him a year and im sure he would have no problem with 5 rounds on the bag and then 5 rounds shadow boxing.

Mate you are a deadset ****ing idiot. Honestly I've never heard so much absolute shit coming out of someone. As a sports science student you offend me with your level of misinformed ideas and straight out ignorance. As if that isn't bad enough you are stubborn about it and consider your guessing as a credible source of information. Just pick up an anatomy & physiology book. Please man I beg you to pick up some basic information before you continue rambling on with your rubbish. Try the latest editions of Marieb or Martini AandP.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #75
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Try the latest editions of Marieb or Martini AandP.
I will, thanks.

probly the marieb

though probly the 7th edition not about to spend 70+$'s on the 8th when i can spend 20 on the 7th
Ylem is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing