boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Zeukleiben

vCash: 500
Default My general strength preparation

Hey guys, my name is Paul and I'm 21 years old. I want to be an amateur boxer and I have never trained before with weights neither boxing itself. But I want to compete.

The problem is my strength routine - since I am 5'7" manlet, I shall compete in lightweight (up to 132 lbs). Here is my routine, with an emphasis on myofibrylar hypertrophy and maximum CNS stimulation. I do not want to put any unnecessary muscle, created by bulking type routines.

So, here is my strength plan:

Week I:
a) Monday:
- high bar back squat (3x3),
- weighted dips (3x3),
- power clean (3x3),
- weighted chin-ups (3x3),
c) Wednesday:
- push press (3x3),
- deadlift (3x3),
e) Friday:
- weighted dips (3x3),
- power clean (3x3),
- weighted chin-ups (3x3).

Week II:
a) Monday:
- push press (3x3),
- deadlift (3x3),
c) Wednesday:
- weighted dips (3x3),
- power clean (3x3),
e) Friday:
- push press (3x3),
- deadlift (3x3).

Warm-up - 2x5 with an empty olympic bar, 1x5 z 40% of work set weight, 1x3 z 60% of work set weight, 1x2 z 80% of work set weight. This is applied to high bar back squat, deadlift, push press and power clean - I'll do a relevant warm-up for chin-ups and dips.

Resting? Five-minute rest between sets and exercises (excluding warm-up sets where rest is replaced by changing weights on a bar).

Progression:
- high bar back squat, deadlift - 2 kg (4.4 lbs)/week,
- push press, power clean - 1 kg (2.2 lbs)/week,
- weighted dips, weighted chin ups - 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs)/week.

Basically it will be lifting 3x3 for 90% 1RM.
I'll deload every four weeks for one week. 50% intensity of normal workout.

Some time later (after this general strength building plan) I will change it to an plyometric or olympic weightlifting routine for power. Or something from Ross Enamait books.

I have a question. Do you think that being 21 too late for a boxing career? I don't want to be pro, only a successful amateur. I'm ambitious and I learn fast. What is your opinion?

For any other tips and opinions, much appreciated. And I'm sorry for my grammar, English isn't my native language.

(I'd be glad for non-sarcastic responses, do for me and youself a favor. I don't have the time dealing with non based on something critique or haters.)
Zeukleiben is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: My general strength preparation

Im not sure but i think you might be missing the most important exercise of all...wall sits
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Looks alright. Why dips? They're an unnatural movement that puts your shoulder in a compromised position. I'd put bench/db bench in instead and have a bench pull/row exercise to balance it out. It's important for boxers to do more pulling exercises or they end up with poor posture and poor shoulder mechanics (meaning less power and greater risk of injury).
dealt_with is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Zeukleiben

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Looks alright. Why dips? They're an unnatural movement that puts your shoulder in a compromised position. I'd put bench/db bench in instead and have a bench pull/row exercise to balance it out. It's important for boxers to do more pulling exercises or they end up with poor posture and poor shoulder mechanics (meaning less power and greater risk of injury).
You know, bench press is mainly a shoulders and triceps exercise. Also, muscles during dips move not just certain amount of weight, but your whole body - which gives you completely different neuromuscular response and it stimulates much, much more motor units than in the bench press.

Yeah, I think that for a beginner there is a sufficient amount of pulling. I wrote that later I'm going to incorporate olympic lifts and their variations - this, in my opinion, is the holy grail of pulling development.

Thanks for your time, man!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

lol....what is a "manlet"? Is that like a man, but small?

That's ok, i'm not much bigger at all. Anyways, i'm no expert on the subject but this certainly doesn't seem like a bad routine. I would personally incorporate some plyometric exercises to make sure you are making good use of your strength and gain some speed and explosiveness.

Good luck with your training!
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeukleiben View Post
You know, bench press is mainly a shoulders and triceps exercise. Also, muscles during dips move not just certain amount of weight, but your whole body - which gives you completely different neuromuscular response and it stimulates much, much more motor units than in the bench press.

Yeah, I think that for a beginner there is a sufficient amount of pulling. I wrote that later I'm going to incorporate olympic lifts and their variations - this, in my opinion, is the holy grail of pulling development.

Thanks for your time, man!
What makes you think you're stimulating more motor units with dips? It's only your bodyweight and you're in a bad position, you're not working any additional muscles than in a bench press. It's a really poor exercise for boxers.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Zeukleiben

Quote:
What makes you think you're stimulating more motor units with dips? It's only your bodyweight and you're in a bad position, you're not working any additional muscles than in a bench press. It's a really poor exercise for boxers.
Well, my fellow dutch dymnast told me that it stimulates more your whole upper body than BP. He has a lot of experience and he has the right to compare those exercises like no other.
Why are you talking about bodyweight dips? I have weighted in my program.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2005 View Post
Im not sure but i think you might be missing the most important exercise of all...wall sits
ant-man is online now  Top
Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well, my fellow dutch dymnast told me that it stimulates more your whole upper body than BP. He has a lot of experience and he has the right to compare those exercises like no other.
Why are you talking about bodyweight dips? I have weighted in my program.
He does sound quite dim. It's a main movement for gymnasts, not for other athletes. One of my colleagues I work with who is a strength coach for international level gymnasts tells me that they spend most of the time in the weight room doing pulling exercises to balance out the problems of all the dipping movements they do in their sport.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you are a bit of a weak ass you could also incorporate some Kettlebell excercises.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
If you are a bit of a weak ass you could also incorporate some Kettlebell excercises.
Whilst doing a wall sit on a bosu ball, of course...
ant-man is online now  Top
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant-man View Post
Whilst doing a wall sit on a bosu ball, of course...
Goes without saying! Could probably add some TRX weighted pull ups.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #13
Zeukleiben

Quote:
He does sound quite dim. It's a main movement for gymnasts, not for other athletes. One of my colleagues I work with who is a strength coach for international level gymnasts tells me that they spend most of the time in the weight room doing pulling exercises to balance out the problems of all the dipping movements they do in their sport.
Damn. Do you think this should apply for boxers as well?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Damn. Do you think this should apply for boxers as well?

do boxers do an unusual amount of dipping exercises???
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hey guys, my name is Paul and I'm 21 years old. I want to be an amateur boxer and I have never trained before with weights neither boxing itself. But I want to compete.

The problem is my strength routine - since I am 5'7" manlet, I shall compete in lightweight (up to 132 lbs). Here is my routine, with an emphasis on myofibrylar hypertrophy and maximum CNS stimulation. I do not want to put any unnecessary muscle, created by bulking type routines.

So, here is my strength plan:

Week I:
a) Monday:
- weighted dips (3x3),
- power clean (3x3),
c) Wednesday:
- push press (3x3),
- deadlift (3x3),
e) Friday:
- weighted dips (3x3),
- power clean (3x3),
- weighted chin-ups (3x3).

Week II:
a) Monday:
- push press (3x3),
- deadlift (3x3),
c) Wednesday:
- weighted dips (3x3),
- power clean (3x3),
e) Friday:
- push press (3x3),
- deadlift (3x3).

Warm-up - 2x5 with an empty olympic bar, 1x5 z 40% of work set weight, 1x3 z 60% of work set weight, 1x2 z 80% of work set weight. This is applied to high bar back squat, deadlift, push press and power clean - I'll do a relevant warm-up for chin-ups and dips.

Resting? Five-minute rest between sets and exercises (excluding warm-up sets where rest is replaced by changing weights on a bar).

Progression:
- high bar back squat, deadlift - 2 kg (4.4 lbs)/week,
- push press, power clean - 1 kg (2.2 lbs)/week,
- weighted dips, weighted chin ups - 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs)/week.

Basically it will be lifting 3x3 for 90% 1RM.
I'll deload every four weeks for one week. 50% intensity of normal workout.

Some time later (after this general strength building plan) I will change it to an plyometric or olympic weightlifting routine for power. Or something from Ross Enamait books.

I have a question. Do you think that being 21 too late for a boxing career? I don't want to be pro, only a successful amateur. I'm ambitious and I learn fast. What is your opinion?

For any other tips and opinions, much appreciated. And I'm sorry for my grammar, English isn't my native language.

(I'd be glad for non-sarcastic responses, do for me and youself a favor. I don't have the time dealing with non based on something critique or haters.)
This does not look like anything that would be done in a boxing gym that I trained in.

I suggest doing something like this instead. The same principle applies to boxing; be prepared to be strong for the entire duration of the round, not just the first 30 seconds.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing