Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing > Training Logs


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #31
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Catetoville
Posts: 195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Got a few rescue mutts: Bullterrier, Malamute and a Podenco/Bodeguero cross hunting dog(think sight hound crossed with Jack Russel). Had to put a Boxer and other Bullie down a while back. Looking for more rescues at the mo-possibly a Dogo Argentino to get some wild boar up in the mountains! What about yourself?

No training yet today. Aching from the controlled calisthenics of 2 days ago.
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #32
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: england
Posts: 715
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasoshaun View Post
Got a few rescue mutts: Bullterrier, Malamute and a Podenco/Bodeguero cross hunting dog(think sight hound crossed with Jack Russel). Had to put a Boxer and other Bullie down a while back. Looking for more rescues at the mo-possibly a Dogo Argentino to get some wild boar up in the mountains! What about yourself?

No training yet today. Aching from the controlled calisthenics of 2 days ago.
Ive got a staffordshire bull terrier mate. ive always had bullmastiffs in the past but lost my last one (she was 9 years old) about a year and a half ago to cancer. Looking for a bitch at the mo to keep him company, and maybe breed a litter or 2 from them.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #33
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Catetoville
Posts: 195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I love the ghetto training vids on you tube and I just came across this guy yesterday. For some reason I wanna knock weights on the head and dedicate myself to some gymnastic work for 6-12 months and see where that gets me.

A 2 hour mountain hike was all I could do today as still ****ed from the pistols, pikes etc from 2 days back.

Sam, you know any breeders of Bullmastiffs in Britain? I read loads of working dog forums and just yesterday I came across a Mastiff/Bullterrier cross that would be exactly the type of beast I'd love to have around the place. If you're after any links to molosser-type dogs give me a shout because they're my passion along with fitness/health.

That breeding of a pocket rocket Staff and a big, well constructed Bullmastiff sounds interesting. We're hoping to buy a place with a lot of land and a few burly guardians like that would be just up my street.
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #34
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: england
Posts: 715
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasoshaun View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I love the ghetto training vids on you tube and I just came across this guy yesterday. For some reason I wanna knock weights on the head and dedicate myself to some gymnastic work for 6-12 months and see where that gets me.

A 2 hour mountain hike was all I could do today as still ****ed from the pistols, pikes etc from 2 days back.

Sam, you know any breeders of Bullmastiffs in Britain? I read loads of working dog forums and just yesterday I came across a Mastiff/Bullterrier cross that would be exactly the type of beast I'd love to have around the place. If you're after any links to molosser-type dogs give me a shout because they're my passion along with fitness/health.

That breeding of a pocket rocket Staff and a big, well constructed Bullmastiff sounds interesting. We're hoping to buy a place with a lot of land and a few burly guardians like that would be just up my street.
I do mate yeah, loads. I used to breed them myself, and i'm still in touch with other breeders i used to breed/deal with. Where are you based by the way?

Yeah i love bull breeds/molosser dogs too and definately interested in the links, cheers. Though ive seen a few staff/bullmastiff crosses and they wasnt that impressive to be honest, but that's not to say you couldnt get what you were looking for with the right dogs. My lad's a beauty, just starting to fill out now. Its strange tho, being used to bullmastiffs i'm always half expecting him to suddenly beef up like my bullies do/did (all my bullies have been 3 times the size of max at half his age! big kev was my biggest lad, ive never seen a head on a dog as big as his, and kane came in a close second to him, huge!) Brilliant dogs though.

I cant reccommend bullmastiffs highly enough though, fantastic dogs. Very even tempered, brilliant with people (especially kids) but can be quite lazy during the day, yet as soon as it gets dark their right on it, and make great guard dogs.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #35
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Catetoville
Posts: 195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

I'm up in a hunting part of Spain and I have a few hunters around me who breed large-game hunting breeds/mixes (one guy about 10 miles up the road keeps Bullmastiffs, Dogos, Presas, Alanos, Cane Corsos, Neos...you name it. ). At some point tomorrow I'll go through my history and get some links to you.

For now have a look at this guy's website. He's breeding an Alaunt (which I think comprises Bullmastiff, Bullterrier and Greyhound to get the various qualities from each breed). I just thought you'd like a look seeing as you've got a Staff and had Bullmastiffs in the past. Some of the Alaunts look like super-sized athletic Staffies.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Also, scroll down to see this guy's Alaunt. It's from the above breeder. It's an impressive looking beast. These are the sort of dogs I'll be getting in the future I think.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by elcasoshaun; 12-17-2010 at 03:59 PM.
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #36
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: england
Posts: 715
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasoshaun View Post
I'm up in a hunting part of Spain and I have a few hunters around me who breed large-game hunting breeds/mixes (one guy about 10 miles up the road keeps Bullmastiffs, Dogos, Presas, Alanos, Cane Corsos, Neos...you name it. ). At some point tomorrow I'll go through my history and get some links to you.

For now have a look at this guy's website. He's breeding an Alaunt (which I think comprises Bullmastiff, Bullterrier and Greyhound to get the various qualities from each breed). I just thought you'd like a look seeing as you've got a Staff and had Bullmastiffs in the past. Some of the Alaunts look like super-sized athletic Staffies.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Also, scroll down to see this guy's Alaunt. It's from the above breeder. It's an impressive looking beast. These are the sort of dogs I'll be getting in the future I think.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Ah ok mate, i thought you were in the US for some reason. I like presas, i mated big kev with a presa bitch and they had some gorgeous pups. i like the cane corso's too, but both are fairly hard to find in the uk. i'm gonna stick with staffs at the mo i think, get a bitch for max and start breeding, but i'll leave bullmastiffs a while yet. it was too painful losing big girl, kane and big kev. My sis used to have a neo, which was huge! i couldnt believe how fast he grew or how fast he ate her house! haha

I love bullmastiffs though, and to be honest mate they'd be perfect for what your looking for.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #37
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Catetoville
Posts: 195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Had plans to cycle down to the river where there's loads of trees with various diameter branches for chins and narrow bridges where you can do dips but the heavens opened and the village is practically flooded. Had to stay in and do Tabata Hybrids:

Thrusters(with 20 kg sandbag)
Hindu press-ups
Squats
Snatches(20 kg db)
Burpees

and repeat for 16 minutes. The sandbag burst on my 3rd circuit so I had to do lunges in place of the Thrusters.

Sam, a couple of good forums for the Molosser breeds:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]







You got any links for Bullmastiff breeders in UK? I'm completely out of touch with breeders over there these days. Also, lately I've been looking into Malinois, Dutch Shepherds and Donovan Pinschers, what with all this BSL. You not into the furries?!

Last edited by elcasoshaun; 12-18-2010 at 03:15 PM.
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #38
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: england
Posts: 715
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Cheers mate, i know 2 of those site's, the 3rd one i'll have a look at. I like malamute's, but prefer my short coated bull breeds to be honest. Seroiously considering dogue de bordeaux's next, as their similar to bullmastiffs in size/build etc. i had one a few years ago, vega, an absolute beauty (green eyes) but she got stolen! bastards! ive also had pittbulls when i lived down in liverpool for a while and was breeding them but its a bit too dodgy for pitts in the uk at the min.

I have got links for ya mate yeah, but what are you after first? if your not bothered about price (you could probably get one for around a grand, including shipping etc) and want a pure bred, kc registered pup then i'll send you some links to the best ones to go with, if your not bothered about papers then ive got a few numbers etc for you too. still pure bred and quality dogs but no papers and cheaper obviously, BUT shipping etc would be on you then though. up to you mate.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #39
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Catetoville
Posts: 195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

30 mins run straight up a mountain and walk back down. Nice and easy to get some light steady work in.

Sam, at the moment I am just doing as much research as possible regarding breeds and lines. I normally just rescue dogs off the street(tonnes of em here) or from rescue centres but my next one will be a well-bred mastiff-based dog(or two). We live in a virtually crime-free rural part of southern Spain but I'm bored shitless and fancy a move to the first-world again(probably France) when property starts moving again. Therefore, I'm thinking about having a couple of decent-sized guards. Also, having my current dogs has convinced me that having more chilled individuals/breeds in the future would make life a lot easier because the exercise demands of my current crop is a bit over the top to be honest.

Any links would be great to help me with my research (UK or continental breeders of any of the mastiff breeds). Cheers mate.
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #40
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Catetoville
Posts: 195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Was half-way through the following sprint workout against the clock when the phone went:

20 burpees
20 thrusters with sandbag
15 burpees
15 thrusters
10 burpees
10 thrusters
5 burpees
5 thrusters

Had to stop and then when I restarted I just did different combo's of the 2 exercises, mainly 10 reps of both as fast as possible with minimal rest between sets.

Today was the first day I have been able to put my right hand in a normal press-up position (normally I have to drop on my knuckles for burpees or press-ups) without any pain for about 4 years. 1 handed press-ups haven't bothered the wrist til now it's just doing the 2 handed variety that kills my wrist. I can only think it's the Pikes, Hindus etc and maybe the 1 arm variety, and planches that have made the difference. Whatever it is I'm pretty chuffed cos I had written off the wrist as being gammy for the rest of my days.
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #41
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Catetoville
Posts: 195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Bought a chin up bar today. Did a load of different types of chins/pull-ups/ab raises and horizontal rows. Also, pseudo planche push-ups, pikes and 1 arm press-ups. Nothing for legs today.

Just laying a strength base for the New Year.
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #42
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: england
Posts: 715
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasoshaun View Post
30 mins run straight up a mountain and walk back down. Nice and easy to get some light steady work in.

Sam, at the moment I am just doing as much research as possible regarding breeds and lines. I normally just rescue dogs off the street(tonnes of em here) or from rescue centres but my next one will be a well-bred mastiff-based dog(or two). We live in a virtually crime-free rural part of southern Spain but I'm bored shitless and fancy a move to the first-world again(probably France) when property starts moving again. Therefore, I'm thinking about having a couple of decent-sized guards. Also, having my current dogs has convinced me that having more chilled individuals/breeds in the future would make life a lot easier because the exercise demands of my current crop is a bit over the top to be honest.

Any links would be great to help me with my research (UK or continental breeders of any of the mastiff breeds). Cheers mate.
Yep no probs mate, i'll sort some out when i get chance. from what you've said though i reckon bullmastiffs would be perfect for you to be honest. You get two types to chose from too, the short, stocky type taking after the bulldog, and the slightly bigger, rangier build taking after the mastiff. ive had both types born in the same litter but usually its through selective breeding. My last 2 males were like this, big kev was huge, big boned and stocky but rangy with it while kane was shorter and heavier built. both weighed around 16-17st.

Brilliant dogs though mate. Reliable, especially around kids. good guard dogs but mostly at night as they can be fairly lazy during the day (have i already mentioned all this?) but right on it at night. Their pretty lazy dogs to be honest but adapt well to whatever exercise you give them. the boys can be fairly stubborn but more along the lines of pretending they cant hear you, rather than dominant (not that ive come across anyway) or aggressive behaviour. The boys can be pretty thick too. all the lads ive had (4) have been as thick as pig shit! the girls are a bit more switched on and definately more protective towards kids etc. great dogs.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #43
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Catetoville
Posts: 195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Tendons, ligaments still hurting a bit after the chins session so just ran 4-5 miles up in the mountains. Another nice recovery day.

Cheers for info Sam. Look forward to some Bullmastiff links when you can mate
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #44
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Catetoville
Posts: 195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Had a bad fever for a few days so done **** all except for walking the mutts (could barely manage this TBH).

Gentle session of pulls and pushes today:

3 pulls (all types of Chins/Pull ups)
5 pushes (all types of press ups: 1 arm/ Pseudo planche press ups etc)
Repeat for 10 sets (30 pulls and 50 pushes in total)without stopping. The easiest session imaginable to get back in the swing of things and to test if I have recovered from the fever.

Then I attempted, and failed abysmally, at trying to hold a couple of static gymnastic positions. All in all a ****ing shit week of training.
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #45
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: england
Posts: 715
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Training overhaul

Don't worry about a few off days here and there mate, we all have them, don't let it knock ya

As for the bullmastiff links, for now i think the best one for you will be ukchampdogs.co.uk , as it has all the registered breeders in the uk on the site. Tartuffe, flintstock and a few of the other top breeders are on there too, but personally i'd go with bunsoro if you decide on a bullmastiff. ive got Fran's number somewhere if you end up deciding on a bully. cheers mate, anything else just give me a shout
sam1222 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing > Training Logs

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013