Old 11-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Kesslers Letter

OFFICIAL POST-FIGHT LETTER FROM MIKKEL KESSLER
By MIKKEL KESSLER

CARDIFF--I felt like I was walking into the lion’s den—no make that the Welsh Dragon’s den Sunday morning at Millennium [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. I heard 50,000 voices, about 90 percent very unfriendly and a small sprinkling of guys waving my red and white Danish flag.

I could not hear a word the people were saying but I know it wasn’t, “Hey, Mr. Kessler, good to see ya, good luck.” After Joe Calzaghe, a masterful champion beat me over 12 hard rounds, some in Team Kessler told me the Calzaghe partisans were screaming obscenities and singing the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] song, “Who Are You?”

The whole world knew who Mr. Calzaghe was BEFORE this bout which was seen in 70 countries. Now I think, and I hope, the whole world, or at least that part of it which cares for our great sport of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], knows who Mikkel Kessler is.

I offer no excuses except to say I was not in 100 percent top form. It didn’t help that my guy, Mogens Palle, fell seriously ill and remains in hospital here. I am praying that Mogens soon rebound and returns to Denmark. He will be celebrating his 50th anniversary as a fight promoter Wednesday and I hope to visit with him on that special day. Because of his condition he could not be with us at ringside.

Like I say no sour grapes, no whining, and no excuses. Joe beat me fair and square on his home grounds. This cat has more tricks than any magician. I knew he would be difficult to hit but I think I clearly hit him harder and more often than any other opponent he’s ever had! I tip my hat to Joe, to his father/trainer Enzo and to their promoter, Frank ******.

****** told me in the ring when it was over, “You will be the top champ, you will be The Man, once Joe retires.” Good, sportsmanlike comments and I got more of those plus genuine applause from the punters when I walked out of the arena after doing interviews with Danish TV, with British Setanta and with HBO.

I also appreciated the fact that HBO’s Kery Davis came over to me after the press conference and told me I still figure in their plans and there are “many” good fights which they will consider for me. Kery is a real gentleman.

I didn’t want to spoil Joe’s moment, his big night, but I wanted to ask and I ask now of ****** and Enzo and Joe, why not a rematch? But Joe made it clear as we sat on the podium, saying, “I don’t think so because you will only do better and I may not do as well. I don’t like rematches.”

Maybe, when the magnitude of the event sinks in, Team Calzaghe will reconsider. This show was a huge commercial and artistic success and a rematch would be even more lucrative for all the involved parties.

An American reporter asked me and our American agent, Michael Marley, who I might fight next. Marley said, “A guy who was willing to come into Joe’s kitchen and fight him right there, as Mikkel did tonight, will go anywhere and fight anybody.”

My two world title belts are suddenly gone. I miss them already. I am young, only 28, and I believe my best fights and better nights are ahead of me.

I will look at any opponent out there—IBF champ Lucien Bute, the winner of Taylor-Pavlik II, Anthony Mundine for a rematch…my options are many. I know I didn’t hurt myself, especially in the UK and America, with my performance.

I thank HBO, Setanta, Viasat in Denmark, my promoter/manager Bettina Palle, my [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] team and everyone else who gave me their support.

I didn’t win this fight but I believe I won over millions of fans.

I hope my effort and Joe’s give more fuel to boxing’s brilliant resurgence.

He has proven, for the moment that he is Number One at 168 pounds. If he abandons the weight, I lay claim to that position. I am not guy who is content to be Number Two in anything.

I will be back. And I will return stronger, sharper and tougher than ever. I know I am just going into my primetime years in boxing.

Again, big respect for Joe. But the best of Mikkel Kessler is yet to come!

MIKKEL KESSLER

robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Kesslers Letter

what a guy, i am going to follow his career from now on.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

What a top guy kessler is handling his defeat with class, i think he has made alot of new fans even with this loss.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

u know he'll be back in the mix pretty quickly.

quicker than lacy anyway.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135
what a guy, i am going to follow his career from now on.
Exactly what I thought last night after his interview.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
BennitheHill
Danish journalist
ESB Jr Member

Kessler is a great ambassador for boxing, me thinks. His approach and kindness will make him fans..
BennitheHill is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
pijo
Feed the Pope
ESB Addict

vCash: 106

Classy bloke, Hope he goes on to do really well, i reckon he will.
pijo is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

What a top bloke, he won many British fans with his behaviour
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Kessler has won the respect of millions of fans around the World as far as a boxer and as a man . He has conducted himself gracefully throughout and shown class in defeat .

He will become the Super Middleweight #1 before too long , no once else in the division can touch him .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey
What a top bloke, he won many British fans with his behaviour
Yeah Jack...... Kessler has always handled himself with class.

Unfortunately he has the same prob as Calzaghe....... His manager is a lying low life.........

But in spite of that..... as in Calzaghe's case...... true class always shines through.
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears
Kessler has won the respect of millions of fans around the World as far as a boxer and as a man . He has conducted himself gracefully throughout and shown class in defeat .

He will become the Super Middleweight #1 before too long , no once else in the division can touch him .
You couldn't be more right.

We have a boxer in Australia (one Anthony Mundine) who will be shitting himself knowing full well it is inevitable that Kessler will become his mandatory very quickly..... and he will be waving goodbye to his Title.
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #12
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Kessler is a class act.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

As everyone else has said... I've nothing but respect for Mikkel Kessler now.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
stake501
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Kessler....what a man and what a fighter.......he will rule 168 for years, once Joe goes.
stake501 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think he deserves a rematch in Denmark. He came over to Wales to give Calzaghe a shot so maybe Calzaghe to go to his backyard to give him one.

Last edited by pit; 08-30-2006 at 11:53 PM.
mike464 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum