Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132
Default Today's Herald Sun article on Mundine

This an article that wis in the Herald Sun Today and was written by Jon Anderson.

GET REAL, ANTHONY

Where does Anthony "The Man" Mundine rate when comparing Australia's boxing world champions?

The answer is one of the easier sporting equations, simply because Mundine isnt a World Champion.
Is he good enough? Definitly. And even now he would rank ahead of some from this country who have held genuine world title.

But please dont fall for the line he is the WBA super middleweight champion of the world, as advertised since he beat Sam Soliman in Sydney in March and Argentine Pablo NNievas on Wednesday night on the Gold Coast.
The fact Mundine should never have been fighting Nievas, who is ranked NO. 45 in the world and has never been past six rounds, isnt my gripe.
It's purely and simply that Mundine is not the world champion.
So who is? A hard-punching Dane named Mikkel Kessler, who beat Mundine on points for the WBA super Middleweight title in Sydney in 2005.
Yep, the same title Mundine now cliams, despite the fact Kessler remains unbeaten since and has not relinquished or been stripped of the same.
In fact he has claimed the WBC version of the same title after knocking out Geman Markus Beyer last year. Cofusing isnt it?

To clear up the confusion, Mundine is not to blame. He can only fight whoever's put in front of him, even if it is a person who should not be in the same ring.
Blame the World Boxing Association, which allowed such a farce to take place. To ensure extra sanctioning fees, it has named Kessler it's Super Champion.

The belt Mundine fought for twice is the WBA "interim" world championship.
The same thing happened in 2003 when Mundine beat Antwun Echols for the same belt.
It's known as the Clayton's championship, the belt you've got when you haven't got the real world championship.
You would think that boxing has enough problems with credibilty without adding to it's woes by inventing imaginary world titles and trying to dupe the public in the process.

The theory is that a mug punter will be more likely to part with his hard earned if a world championship is at stake.
Mundine is not the only fighter holding such titles, a situation made worse by the proliferation of bodies (known as the alphabet brigade), IBA,IBF,IBC,IBO,WBA,WBC,WBO,WBU) that sanction world title fights at random.

It can be traced back to the 1960's when the WBC and WBA started holding championship fights in oppisition to each other and naming different champions.
You wonder why the respective organisations would not forgo their ego's and just have a box-off to decide each division's legitimate champion.

Sadly there is far too much money tied up in the caper for self-serving megalomaniacs to ever do what would, ultimately, be best for the sport.
Mundine is caught up in that, although in fairness his history suggests the chance to fight Kessler would be accepted with open arms.

A victory and he could then join boxers such as Jimmy Carruthers,Lionel Rose,Johnny Famechon,Rocky Mattiolli,Lester Ellis,Barry Michale, Jeff Fenech, Jeff Harding and Kostya Tszyu as fair dinkum Aussie boxing world champions.

i thought this article was very good and i enjoyed because there is hardly ever boxing news in the Sun.

What are your thoughts about it.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
CarltonBlues
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Today's Herald Sun article on Mundine

Someone must have emailed him Boppa because he's a football writer mainly. Whoever gave him the heads up is right on the money though.

On the other side of things Kessler and Calzaghe are two very good champions that make Mundine's task a lot harder than other great Aussie fighters.
CarltonBlues is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
EelsRule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

All fair enough.
However, Soliman regarded himself as fighting for a world title. If he'd have won he would certainly have promoted his fights as title fights and nothing at all would have been said by journalists.
The truth is though Mundine should be held to a higher standard, because he is boxing in this country. Has the average sports fan heard of or given a sh*t about Darchinian the Armenian.
EelsRule is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
gloveup
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonBlues
Someone must have emailed him Boppa because he's a football writer mainly. Whoever gave him the heads up is right on the money though.

On the other side of things Kessler and Calzaghe are two very good champions that make Mundine's task a lot harder than other great Aussie fighters.
Yes and NO mate. Tony mundine v Monzon, Harada v Rose, Fammo v Toweel, Kelly v Jones, K.Kelly v Reid, squires v johnson, darcy vs holland. The list goes on. These guys a worthy champs and better or if not atleast the same as Kessler and Calzaghe.
Dino
gloveup is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
Scatter
Dont **** with the reaper

look out boppazoo - Oz is going to want to have your children after posting that.

catch is, you'll be the bitch.
Scatter is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter
look out boppazoo - Oz is going to want to have your children after posting that.

yeah i know OZ is going to love it.

i thought it was a pretty good article and he summed up the chit part of boxing well in the orginisations and how they take- take take but only give back here and there with great fights.

for me though he is spot on how Fenech,Carruthers,Rose these blokes won the title as in the best Champ there is in the division.

Sorry to the Mundine fans but hey if he fights these guys and doesnt put them away he deserves this kind of shit to come his way.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
shanemfr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Only wrong part of tyhe article is saying it's the WBA putting these guys in front of Mundine to fight, thats crap it was obvious with this Nievas and Nishi they were both unranked until Khoder meets up with the WBA then suddenly they are put in the top 15 around or a bit after Mundine announces the fight.
shanemfr is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoppaZoo
This an article that wis in the Herald Sun Today and was written by Jon Anderson.

GET REAL, ANTHONY

Where does Anthony "The Man" Mundine rate when comparing Australia's boxing world champions?

The answer is one of the easier sporting equations, simply because Mundine isnt a World Champion.
Is he good enough? Definitly. And even now he would rank ahead of some from this country who have held genuine world title.

But please dont fall for the line he is the WBA super middleweight champion of the world, as advertised since he beat Sam Soliman in Sydney in March and Argentine Pablo NNievas on Wednesday night on the Gold Coast.
The fact Mundine should never have been fighting Nievas, who is ranked NO. 45 in the world and has never been past six rounds, isnt my gripe.
It's purely and simply that Mundine is not the world champion.
So who is? A hard-punching Dane named Mikkel Kessler, who beat Mundine on points for the WBA super Middleweight title in Sydney in 2005.
Yep, the same title Mundine now cliams, despite the fact Kessler remains unbeaten since and has not relinquished or been stripped of the same.
In fact he has claimed the WBC version of the same title after knocking out Geman Markus Beyer last year. Cofusing isnt it?

To clear up the confusion, Mundine is not to blame. He can only fight whoever's put in front of him, even if it is a person who should not be in the same ring.
Blame the World Boxing Association, which allowed such a farce to take place. To ensure extra sanctioning fees, it has named Kessler it's Super Champion.

The belt Mundine fought for twice is the WBA "interim" world championship.
The same thing happened in 2003 when Mundine beat Antwun Echols for the same belt.
It's known as the Clayton's championship, the belt you've got when you haven't got the real world championship.
You would think that boxing has enough problems with credibilty without adding to it's woes by inventing imaginary world titles and trying to dupe the public in the process.

The theory is that a mug punter will be more likely to part with his hard earned if a world championship is at stake.
Mundine is not the only fighter holding such titles, a situation made worse by the proliferation of bodies (known as the alphabet brigade), IBA,IBF,IBC,IBO,WBA,WBC,WBO,WBU) that sanction world title fights at random.

It can be traced back to the 1960's when the WBC and WBA started holding championship fights in oppisition to each other and naming different champions.
You wonder why the respective organisations would not forgo their ego's and just have a box-off to decide each division's legitimate champion.

Sadly there is far too much money tied up in the caper for self-serving megalomaniacs to ever do what would, ultimately, be best for the sport.
Mundine is caught up in that, although in fairness his history suggests the chance to fight Kessler would be accepted with open arms.

A victory and he could then join boxers such as Jimmy Carruthers,Lionel Rose,Johnny Famechon,Rocky Mattiolli,Lester Ellis,Barry Michale, Jeff Fenech, Jeff Harding and Kostya Tszyu as fair dinkum Aussie boxing world champions.

i thought this article was very good and i enjoyed because there is hardly ever boxing news in the Sun.

What are your thoughts about it.
I think someone from ESB sent him an email......... We were the ones to lable Mundine's Title a "Clayton's" World Title..... The world title you have when you don't really have a world title.

Also......someone has fed him "brumby" information.

An Interim World Title is usually a title fought for while the World Champion is out of action.....usually through injury.

The WBA recognises it's secondary title as a "Regular" World Title.

But so saying......it's cool that more and more people are becoming aware that Mundine ain't no world champion...........leastwise.....not yet.
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter

Nah...... I intend to keep this relat ....friendship purely platonic.

BTW Scatter.......Most of you guys seem to have missed the fact that I have altered my opinion of Mundine to the point that I accept that he has a lot of natural talent.......just not as much as he thinks he has.

I am prepared to be proved wrong, but that can't happen till the ****er gets out of his comfort zone.

Last edited by oztriker; 06-29-2007 at 06:32 AM.
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemfr
Only wrong part of tyhe article is saying it's the WBA putting these guys in front of Mundine to fight, thats crap it was obvious with this Nievas and Nishi they were both unranked until Khoder meets up with the WBA then suddenly they are put in the top 15 around or a bit after Mundine announces the fight.
EXACTLY!
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #11
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

I was going to make a sugestion but it looks like the culprit already confessed
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #12
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Must be a few of these paper champs going round at the moment...maybe that should be fixed...make Mundine and others step up and put more value on the real title.
ashley is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #13
tills9191
Journeyman

Cant believe fkn newcastle lost!! what a joke, ...they let souths score 2 early tries in the first half and 2 tries midway thru the 2nd half to let them in the game.. sht cnts!
tills9191 is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztriker
Nah...... I intend to keep this relat ....friendship purely platonic.

BTW Scatter.......Most of you guys seem to have missed the fact that I have altered my opinion of Mundine to the point that I accept that he has a lot of natural talent.......just not as much as he thinks he has.

I am prepared to be proved wrong, but that can't happen till the ****er gets out of his comfort zone.
I have never missed that Fact Oz, hell it's the only thing i see when i read your long rants.

You will be proven wrong AGAIN
teke is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
I have never missed that Fact Oz, hell it's the only thing i see when i read your long rants.
You hang on my every word.......with one hand on your dick and a copy of "The Land" in the other.

(Was that tooooo subtle?)
oztriker is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum