Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default OK, It looks like I have to admit it first...

Yup, Im BORED talking about Joe Calzaghe!

& before everyone goes crazy telling me Im a hater, telling me Im jealous of Calzaghes success, telling me Im just an asshole in general, LISTEN.

hes got my respect here. I have given him props here.

BUT, every thread seems to be about Joes greatness now, about how Joe can beat this that or the other at whatever weight he wants to campaign at, & then theres threads about Joe being the best boxer in the world ever, the best british boxer ever, the best looking boxer ever, & the list goes on & on & on... Every thread I see on boxing forums its all Joe Joe Joe & how far can he go...

So, I have to admit it first, that Im bored with Calzaghe talk, & will be keeping away from it for a good month or two from here on in. all that can be said has been said, & its all getting repetitive.
So I have to take a stand, & explain myself for not talking about Joe Calzaghe until next year. Cos I dont want people to think Im not talking about Joe for any sinister reasons.

& I am sure some people here feel the same, that they have exhausted all conversation about Joe & want to move on for now. So I am the man to make the people who feel the same way as myself not feel guilty, im the man to take the flak. So if you are suffering from Calzaghe conversation exhaustion, just add your name to this thread & people will hopefully understand.

Exhausted with talk about Joe? Then add your name below!

This way, anyone who doesnt feel they want to constantly talk about Joe Calzaghe can just add their name here, & not feel guilty from now on

Last edited by Dunky McCafferty; 11-05-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

Default Re: OK, It looks like I have to admit it first...

funny I was thinking exactly the same thing looking through the general forum this morning..

'name the fighter who can get closet to Calzaghe from 168-200'

'is Calzaghe the best smw ever?'

'can Joe find the cure to AIDS, swim the atlantic'?

etc, etc. 90% of threads must be about basically the same conversation.

it's all been done to death, a bit boring and some of it cheesy. All this stuff about how Kessler too...how he's 'class act in and out of the ring' as the cliche goes.

didn't we all know before the fight that both seem decent guys and both outstanding fighters?

I'm an ex critic of Calzaghe and what I felt was his comfort zone and hanpicking...I'm happy that I was proved wrong and he fought top guys at 168, but am on the verge of becoming a hater now with all this bandwagon riding and arse kissing going on. No doubt a lot of those kissing his arse now were amongst his many fierce critics as recently as 20 months ago.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

plus, prime Toney at 168 would've beat Calzaghe. Rushing in throwing as many punches as possible as your main asset would just not cut it against Toney.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:19 AM   #4
skellington
Bogbrush
ESB Senior Member

It'll die down in a couple of days.

Last edited by OLD FOGEY; 09-05-2006 at 01:25 AM.
skellington is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Foquinha
plus, prime Toney at 168 would've beat Calzaghe. Rushing in throwing as many punches as possible as your main asset would just not cut it against Toney.
the limited and not very skilled david tiberi did just that to toney at middleweight, and toney could not really cope with the punch output.

and you would have to admit joe is in another league to tiberi.
sean is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
the limited and not very skilled david tiberi did just that to toney at middleweight, and toney could not really cope with the punch output.

and you would have to admit joe is in another league to tiberi.
of course, it's no secret Toney was in shit shape for that, how own fault of course. Same as the Roy Jones fight. I'm not saying 100% Toney would've beat Jones but he was certainly in poor condition there too.
Toney coped very well against top class opponents with high punch output WHEN IN SHAPE.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
of course, it's no secret Toney was in shit shape for that, how own fault of course. Same as the Roy Jones fight. I'm not saying 100% Toney would've beat Jones but he was certainly in poor condition there too.
Toney coped very well against top class opponents with high punch output WHEN IN SHAPE.
Drake Thadzi? Montell Griffin? Excuses, Excuses..... Toney boxed best against static brawlers. Micheal Nunn was hammering him before the stoppage and most of his opponents were mediocre in his title defences. I'm a big Toney fan too but Joe would have pushed him to his limits.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 AM   #8
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPSONS
Spunky McCuffy, why do u always feel the need to announce what your are or not doing?..next you'll be telling us everytime you are on your monthlys.

I bet if it was Amazing Acne Arthur or any other haggis jocky fighter that was doing half decent then we would see u posting crap on the hour.
Are you Notorias Ben? he had the same retarded imput to ESB as you... Well done **** head you've just made my block list.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Drake Thadzi? Montell Griffin? Excuses, Excuses..... Toney boxed best against static brawlers. Micheal Nunn was hammering him before the stoppage and most of his opponents were mediocre in his title defences. I'm a big Toney fan too but Joe would have pushed him to his limits.
Firstly, prime Griffin was no mug and doesn't deserve to be put in the realms of Thadzi, Tiberi etc......and most thought Toney won both.
as for the Nunn fight, you need to watch it again...yes Nunn was ahead on points 7 rounds in but Toney was knocking **** out of him for 2-3 rounds before the coupe de gras. Amazing the number of people who make out it was a KO from nowhere, it wasn't.

for a better picture see the fights against Mccallum (the first one in particular makes Calzaghe-Kessler look like a couple of kids in the playground in comparison), Prince Charles, Jirov.

anyway, this is about Calzaghe and I admit Toney would have **** all chance against him if underprepared, as he was so often. In-shape and it's another story.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Firstly, prime Griffin was no mug and doesn't deserve to be put in the realms of Thadzi, Tiberi etc......and most thought Toney won both.
as for the Nunn fight, you need to watch it again...yes Nunn was ahead on points 7 rounds in but Toney was knocking **** out of him for 2-3 rounds before the coupe de gras. Amazing the number of people who make out it was a KO from nowhere, it wasn't.

for a better picture see the fights against Mccallum (the first one in particular makes Calzaghe-Kessler look like a couple of kids in the playground in comparison), Prince Charles, Jirov.

anyway, this is about Calzaghe and I admit Toney would have **** all chance against him if underprepared, as he was so often. In-shape and it's another story.
Do you not think that Toneys ability to outspeed his opponents was vitally important to him winning.... Prince Charles, Jirov, Barkley and De Witt were all outspeeded and i'd say they were the most impressive performances of his career.

Griffin was a tasty operator and granted doesn't belong alongside Thadzi....

As far as comparing the two- overall Toney is a far more capable performer- he is for me a modern great and his skill is absolutely mind bending.... I love the way he makes it all look so easy and his defence is excellent but I'd give Calzaghe a chance against him. Toney would have to be on top of his game but if he was, your right he'd draw Calzaghe into a war and punish the mistakes he made- something Kessler wasn't able to do.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #11
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Which was the better fight McCallum 1-2?? Not got round to watching those fights yet.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:57 AM   #12
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Which was the better fight McCallum 1-2?? Not got round to watching those fights yet.
III

No, personally I fought the first was better, their styles meshed slightly better, although it was intresting was rather exciting or compelling.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 AM   #13
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
III

No, personally I fought the first was better, their styles meshed slightly better, although it was intresting was rather exciting or compelling.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #14
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D
I disagree. Toney was punishing the body and getting more and more head shots off as the rounds went on. Nunn did not just get caught with one shot and was taken out. He was ground down by a better fighter.

Plus Toney blocked a lot of shots and when they really began to swap shots Toney was doing the damaging stuff.
Overall I thought Nunn was bossing it until he ran out of steam....

Last edited by lyraus; 09-02-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #15
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Calzaghe has the quintessential style to beat Toney, fast hands and a swarming style, i dont see how Toney could possibly beat him, but then again Toney has to be the most overrated fighter in history
Nemesis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum