Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
ShamrockNapalm
Rhythm Amongst The Chaos
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1344
Default Re: fIGHTERS ONLY( WHAT WERE THE RESULTS OF YOUR 1ST TIME YOU EVER SPARRED

I got in the ring with a guy who was about 40-50 pounds lighter than me. I didn't think that there would be any problem because I had lots of size on him. But my coach told me that it would be hard to hit the guy with the amount of experience that he had. I kind of just ignored him and thought to myself "yeah right, one shot on this guy and I'm putting his lights out".

So I get in and it wasn't what I expected at all. I start to jab but nothings landing. My jab was way to tense and not loose at all so you could see it coming from a mile away. So he's pretty much slipping almost every one of my jabs. Then once I stop throwing I just paused for a split second and was kind of like "now what?". Bad idea. He comes at me with a flurry of punches. Not extremely damaging and not really even enough to daze me but I felt them thats for sure. I try to move out of the way but my footwork is sloppy. So finally I just get fed up with trying to jab my way in and start throwing haymaker hooks. Another bad idea. He sees almost every one and counters them. Needless to say I lost the sparring session.

The next session I got a little better and the next a little better. Now, I still feel a little tense and still need improvement but I've come a long way from the first time that I've sparred.
ShamrockNapalm is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #17
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: fIGHTERS ONLY( WHAT WERE THE RESULTS OF YOUR 1ST TIME YOU EVER SPARRED

Sparred lightly with my brother or friends the very first time, the first time I sparred with someone I didn't know at all, trainer made us put on 10oz gloves, I had no headgear or mouthpiece.

The guy had at least 20-25lbs on me, around 10 years and apparently a history of fighting muay thai in the past. Started out slow as I didn't know what pace we were going to set, and he comes in trying to land bombs on me, actually landed a good uppercut that made my ears ring for a good 30 seconds.

I noticed he was going full out, somewhat annoyed with the fact that I was doing good with him, figuring him out.

I noticed just how much turtling he did with his guard as I feinted right hands, so I feinted a right hand and dipped to the left of him and threw a left hook to the ribs, and he fell to his knees with a grimace on his face that I'll never forget.

He had to have a while to catch his breath, and when he did he told me "Don't throw with such intent"
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #18
pahapoisu
Superman!
ESB Addict

vCash: 105

Got annihilated. Only thing i could do was move (run). During yesterdays spar i sparred bigger guys for the first time. They were at least 40 + pounds heavier then me and some even more! The power behind the jab was insane and the reach was something i had never encountered.
pahapoisu is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #19
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahapoisu View Post
Got annihilated. Only thing i could do was move (run). During yesterdays spar i sparred bigger guys for the first time. They were at least 40 + pounds heavier then me and some even more! The power behind the jab was insane and the reach was something i had never encountered.
Really makes you appreciate real p4p phenoms like Langford, Armstrong and Pacquiao, doesn't it?
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 05:51 AM   #20
darryl1914
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I took a MEGA ASS-WHOPPIN'...and it wasn't even that close. For 3 rounds I got knocked ****ing silly, and I begged for 3 more rounds because I wanted to prove I can take it, we went one more round and I got tagged with an uppercut, the next thing I remember, my corner was standing over me with the first-aid kit.

But that was years ago. And now I am light years ahead of that first time.

Last edited by darryl1914; 11-21-2010 at 10:44 AM.
darryl1914 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #21
Onepunch
Prestigeous clincher
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

First time I ever sparred hard I had just got a black belt in karate and gone to an MMA school. I ended up sparring a thai boxer who basically just outdid me with combinations.

First time I ever sparred in boxing was a few years later, I came from muay thai thinking I could box because 'in muay thai we punch too!'. All I had was a hard head and heavy hands, I got totally outclassed and embarrassed without even getting hit hard. I'm glad I started boxing now because as a fighter it has improved my speed, timing and footwork better than any other martial art/combat sport I've done.
Onepunch is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #22
pahapoisu
Superman!
ESB Addict

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
Really makes you appreciate real p4p phenoms like Langford, Armstrong and Pacquiao, doesn't it?
Exactly. Itīs not that all the bigger guys were monster punchers or something. They were just taller then me and thats all. Thank god for weight classes.
pahapoisu is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #23
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I don't really know what counts as my first time sparring so I'll just tell 2 or 3 stories lol...

The ACTUAL first time I ever put on a mouthguard gloves and headgear and sparred was when I was a freshman in college. We were doing a MCMAP PT and at the end the instructor had us circle up in a mat room by weight. Then he had us go around the circle and fight the person on each side of us, so each of us did 2x1 minute rounds. (We had just done basically an MMA workout.)

I didn't know anything about boxing except what I'd seen time to time on TV (I wasn't a boxing fan back then either). So I came out with my left hand low in some sort of stance I must've seen somewhere, probably a clip of Roy Jones or something I'd learned in a karate class from way back. All I wanted to do was throw this weird hook from my hip. It was landing every time because the other guy wasn't experienced either and wasn't attempting to counter. Anyhow we went at it for a few seconds, and I decided to try this thing I heard about. You see, it's this simple: You jab at the other guy's stomach, then his forehead. Theoretically, this snaps his head back, exposing the chin. Then you cross to the chin and boom--automatic KO +200exp. points. It's that easy.

Well actually it kinda was...jabbed low, he dropped his hands, jab feint up high, he flinches, straight right lands full on the nose, about as hard as I can hit. He takes a few steps back and turns around and the instructors take a look at him and call it off so I'm on to the next guy (I was the only one out of 30-40 people in the room who got a 'stoppage'). So that was so far so good. The guy hadn't even hit me.

Then the next guy was a bit better. He was on the boxing team and had been a state champion wrestler, so I knew he was in shape and knew a lot more about boxing than me. Anyway, he came out tentative. I kept just throwing a single hook around his guard, but it wasn't hurting him at all. then he started countering. It was weird getting hit the first time. Just a weird, almost metallic sound and a purple light. Then more, because once he hit me he didn't stop. I put my hands up and started backing around the circle while he followed me and landed punches. At the last few seconds, I threw a right uppercut to the body (the one punch I managed to throw since he began beating me up), and that made him take a few steps back and catch his breath, then the bell rang.

I ****ing loved it.

First time in a gym was a lot different, but this is a long post already. Then there's the backyard boxing stories...
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #24
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Went lightly, the bloke i was sparring was a novice with a horrible style (kept bouncing all ove the place, mixture of being nervous, uncomposed and trying to bob & weave lol) and was pretty hard to engage at first.

Also HATED wearing a headguard, hate those things.

I got backed up into the corner, and felt nothing off of his body punches, moved around and caught him with a jab with hardly any power whilsy he was unbalanced, rocked him and showed him that i could of tee'd off on him but didn't.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #25
spion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

LOL...after two weeks of basically shadow boxing and learning how to throw first the jab, then the right, then the left hook and then all in combination I was deemed fit to spar. Now I had not practiced any defense at all. A fighter came in who was training for the Police Athletic League finals and needed work. Our gym was familiar with the guy of course but I had never seen him. His nickname "Machine Gun" alluded to his being fast handed I assumed. He was fighting light heavy (up to 178 and I weighed at that time about 195). He was six three, I six four. We put on the gloves and headgear which feels awkward to me. The trainer had a box of the standard mouthpieces from Everlast which he rinsed off and stuck into my mouth and then rubbed some Alboline on my face. His advice before the bell rang was to work my jab, don't stay stationary...keep moving. The bell rings and we meet in the center of the ring. He jabs. Nice, straight, fast hard jab. That jab is followed by another. I retaliate with a jab of my own which landed! Cool......then a few more jabs land on me. I am frustrated getting caught by this jab and throw a wild right hand. It seemed I was putting everything I had into every punch. I kept having to adjust the headgear and every time I did another punch or two would land in my face. I could see the punches coming but I had no defense for them! I just closed my eyes, bit down hard on the mouthpiece and braced myself mentally. After I would get whacked I would then throw another couple wild blows which were easily eluded. And so it went for the first round. The second round I came out trying to figure out how to solve this.....WHOOPS...no time to think there is about three jabs and a right cross in my grill. THAT got me angry so I chased him around trying to land haymakers all the while getting countered pretty good. When I did manage to land, it was usually on the chest, shoulder or partially blocked. Seemed like and eternity that second round. I pretty much took a shellacking. We only went two rounds but I was tired. Tired and red faced from the punches. The opposing trainer came over and thanked me for the work. I took off the headgear and hit the heavy bag for a few rounds and finished my gym workout. Got home that night with my nose swollen and face still red. The next day there were tiny bruises around my eyes and my nose was noticeably swollen. I went to the gym that evening and did my workout. Bags, rope, calisthenics etc.. After I was toweling off the trainer of the facility (Salvation Army in Los Angeles) came over to talk to me. He said "you showed a lot of heart in there yesterday". I said yeah, but I got beat up a little bit too and I want too do better! He said..."A lot of the guys in here didn't think you would come back." I told him I wasn't going to quit. After that I guess everyone figured I was going to stay and was very helpful teaching me things like defense and such. It was one of the best decisions ever made to stick it out. It has made a huge difference in my life. Even to the point of finding myself here talking to you guys!
spion is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #26
mking
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Started off good working my jab and landing my straight right just keeping my distance, then gassing out after the 1st rnd.
mking is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #27
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Got obliterated, not beat up but shown up hardcore. Takes a while to start getting good, at first you just start sucking less, then you start getting hit less, then you actually start to land, then you actually start to think, then you start sparring even better people and start all over again.
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #28
Sprawla
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i spared a younger guy from my area where we lived, i was 16 he was 14 years old. everyone knew he was a boxer. I hadnt done any boxing training. He started to crack me with right hands, trying to hurt me. He wanted bragging rights i think. He actually stunned me, then i just tried to brawl him but couldnt hit him. That was my first spar.

hahah i would love to spar him now,give him some back, he quit boxing years ago now.
Sprawla is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #29
Kevin_Wright
King of Awesomeland
ESB Full Member

vCash: 326

was with my coach, he is 40 something and still gets in the ring with the best guys in our gym.

we went 2 rounds lefts, 2 rounds rights, one round both hands. Last round i ended up actually turning my back and going for the ropes. I've got a lot better since then but still cant kick his ass. Neither can anyone else though. oh well. one day.
Kevin_Wright is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #30
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Senior Member

Didnt see the punches coming and I was missing badly
SweetScience is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing