Golden Boy 360 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
pahapoisu
Superman!
ESB Addict

vCash: 105
Default Re: Push-up Challenge

Wait... doing 111 push-ups in 3 min is extraordinary? Know a guy who did 110 push-ups in 60 sec
pahapoisu is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahapoisu View Post
Wait... doing 111 push-ups in 3 min is extraordinary? Know a guy who did 110 push-ups in 60 sec
I've never understood how this is possible. If you do an actual pushup (chest down to the ground then back up to arms near lockout) how is it physically possible to nearly 2 a second? Unless of course you're talking about the silly half pushups I see most people do, shoulders down to elbow level then back up.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
pahapoisu
Superman!
ESB Addict

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I've never understood how this is possible. If you do an actual pushup (chest down to the ground then back up to arms near lockout) how is it physically possible to nearly 2 a second? Unless of course you're talking about the silly half pushups I see most people do, shoulders down to elbow level then back up.
Hey, i was there and he did it. He´s a freak of nature.
pahapoisu is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I've done 98 in one minute before, but they weren't all the way down and up so don't really count.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
ShamrockNapalm
Rhythm Amongst The Chaos
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1344

You need to take into account how big the person is. The smaller the person is the less impressive.
ShamrockNapalm is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Ive done over 100 pushups before in one go and I was doing them pretty fast so I think I was probably doing around 1-1.5 per second on average.

Just tried to do full pushups, elbows locked out, chest touch the floor and busted out 10 in 6 seconds. Just a case of maintaining that same speed for 100 reps I guess, which can easily be done with some practice.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockNapalm View Post
You need to take into account how big the person is. The smaller the person is the less impressive.
But isn't the whole point of bodyweight exercise is that its relative to your size? A bigger man should be stronger than a smaller man so despite carrying more weight, it should be relatively the same level of difficulty.

To an extent I guess...
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
repsaccer
Aficionado
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post
But isn't the whole point of bodyweight exercise is that its relative to your size? A bigger man should be stronger than a smaller man so despite carrying more weight, it should be relatively the same level of difficulty.

To an extent I guess...
A bigger man should be stronger than a smaller man, yes. However, strength and weight go up at a different pace. If size is X, then weight = X^3 (heightxlenghtxdepth=volume=weight..approximately). The force you can exert with your muscles is more like a X^2 or quadratic function. This means that with size, weight goes up quicker than strength.

This is why insects can fly and lift hundreds of times their body while we can not. Look at tour de france cyclists. They have to lift themselves over mountains.. the best climbers are always very lanky. You don't see bodybuilders on a bike or powerlift equivalents cuz power/endurance to weight ratio is not favorable.

You can see this also in weight lifting records. in the below 56 kg the combined world record is 305 kg. for the highest weight class, over 105 kg.. where you have men way over double 56 kg competing the world record is "only" 472 kg. So men way over twice as heavy only lift a tiny bit over 1.5 times the below 56 kg men.

In short, flyweights do pushups way easier than heavyweights.

Last edited by repsaccer; 11-22-2010 at 11:52 PM.
repsaccer is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Touching your chest to the ground doesn't mean much, get your chest low, within 2 inches to touching. Nearly locking out the elbows is important, locking them out fully puts more stress on the joint than is necessary for the effort.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Use to do a re****ed amount of push ups...like 150 + without stopping in god knows how long, but quick. Also did a re****ed amount of crunches too. Plus jogged 5 miles a day, every day. Because I was essentially stupid (and 13 yrs old) and that was all i knew and was told to do.

Ended up being about 4% bodyfat and constantly hurt.

Meh, push ups are a good thing to do, especially clap push ups or variations for explosiveness and conditioning, but putting up huge numbers in fast times can be rather pointless. Hopefully anyone doing them is considering it just a small part of the overall bodywork conditioning required for this sport. Not to mention the recovery process necessary also.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Should we be doing this challange?

The standards on that page don't seem that impressive from a boxing point of view.

Last edited by thejokerswild; 11-23-2010 at 09:02 PM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
repsaccer
Aficionado
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsaccer View Post
A bigger man should be stronger than a smaller man, yes. However, strength and weight go up at a different pace. If size is X, then weight = X^3 (heightxlenghtxdepth=volume=weight..approximately). The force you can exert with your muscles is more like a X^2 or quadratic function. This means that with size, weight goes up quicker than strength.

This is why insects can fly and lift hundreds of times their body while we can not. Look at tour de france cyclists. They have to lift themselves over mountains.. the best climbers are always very lanky. You don't see bodybuilders on a bike or powerlift equivalents cuz power/endurance to weight ratio is not favorable.

You can see this also in weight lifting records. in the below 56 kg the combined world record is 305 kg. for the highest weight class, over 105 kg.. where you have men way over double 56 kg competing the world record is "only" 472 kg. So men way over twice as heavy only lift a tiny bit over 1.5 times the below 56 kg men.

In short, flyweights do pushups way easier than heavyweights.
Note to self. Do not answer in formulas. Ever. On ESB.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #14
Sprawla
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post

To an extent I guess...

i agree with this, just because someone is bigger doesnt mean they will be slower. Big people can be explosive too. small people are usuall weak and cant even do push ups. Bodyweight makes it a even test.
Sprawla is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #15
repsaccer
Aficionado
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawla View Post
i agree with this, just because someone is bigger doesnt mean they will be slower. Big people can be explosive too. small people are usuall weak and cant even do push ups. Bodyweight makes it a even test.
Actually it does mean that. When all else is equal (talent, conditioning, nutrition etc.) the bigger man will always be slower since the maximum force the muscle can muster goes up at a lower pace than the weight with size.

Of course this doesn't mean that there aren't any fast big people. However, the fastest heavyweight will always be slower than the fastest flyweight, purely because the maximum strength to mass ratio will be lower at high body weights.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing