Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #61
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ricky Hatton vs Junior Witter

Maussa stopped Corley who was Witters best KO but who then stopped the mighty Maussa?

Lets get this straight. N'Dou says he want to fight the champion, Hatton. Theres no particular demand for the fight and Hatton fights another contender. That means Hatton "dodged" N'Dou?

If thats the criteria then theres a helluva lot of "dodging" gone on throughout boxing history. Hagler dodged Herol Graham, Tyson dodged Gary Mason and Manny Pac is dodging Kell Brook as we speak!!! Just because a contender wants a title fight it doesn't mean shit, all contenders want title fights, unfortuneatly they don't always get way they want.
GazOC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #62
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Your memorys slipping nucca. Witter was a world champ. So was Hatton at the same time. Hatton said Witter had to become a world champ if he was going to entertain the fight. Witter kept his side of bargain. Hatton didnt. And thus we were denied this decades equivalent of Been Eubank because Witter called Hatton names
By the time Witter was a world champ defending in Doncaster Ice Rink, Hatton was fighting in Vegas for big money.

Yep, he lied to Witter and messed him about but the other side of that is that Witter used to try to sell his fights on the back of slagging Hatton off.

C'est la vie.....
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #63
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Did n't Corely get stopped the fight right after Witter?
Since Maussa is being brought up didn't Witter destroy Morua who beat Maussa who then went on to fight Hatton?

We could do this stupid shit all day but the point remains when people talk about how he never KO'd people at world class there is little mention of the people he fought. 4 of them have never actually been stopped, 2 have proven granite chins, Corley is known for being able to fiddle his way through a lot fights. He didn't exactly have the easiest of 'world class' fighters to KO.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #64
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Since Maussa is being brought up didn't Witter destroy Morua who beat Maussa who then went on to fight Hatton?

We could do this stupid shit all day but the point remains when people talk about how he never KO'd people at world class there is little mention of the people he fought. 4 of them have never actually been stopped, 2 have proven granite chins, Corley is known for being able to fiddle his way through a lot fights. He didn't exactly have the easiest of 'world class' fighters to KO.
Who said he never KO'd people at world class? He did KO people at world class, what I dispute is his reputation as a banger at world class.

He had a decent dig when he threw it but he was never the world class puncher that some people make him out to be and Scurla having to bring up Viviene Harris as "Exhibit A" says it all...
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #65
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

People(pl)? He KO'd a Person at world class - Vivian Harris.

**** me...I'm the one defending him too this doesn't sound good.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #66
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
People(pl)? He KO'd a Person at world class - Vivian Harris.
Yep, sorry!! One KO (Harris) and a wobble (N'Dou) in world class!!

Quote:
**** me...I'm the one defending him too this doesn't sound good.
Must be time for bed.....
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #67
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

I wouldn't say Witter was a big banger. He had good enough power to hurt fighters. I always thought he had the punching style Hatton was never great at defending. I wouldn't see a clean cut KO from Witter would be able to drop him with a punch Hatton wasn't expecting and would have a hard time putting him down again. Hatton was very good at getting his legs under him again.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #68
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

The Hatton-Magee line is the best one to support a Witter victory IMHO, not the idea that Witter is some massive puncher at that level.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #69
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

Quote:
The Hatton-Magee line is the best one to support a Witter victory IMHO, not the idea that Witter is some massive puncher at that level.
Yeah, the fact Magee was able to land a lot of counters on the inside especially the right hook made me think of it but that was a young hatton i thought he wasn't at his best on the inside. By young i mean experience wise after the Kostya fight I couldn't see many people doing that too him on the inside much better defence then.

The whole ducking thing is a load of shit. The best time this fight could of happened was under ****** around the Magee fight or afterwards. With ****** in the way that wasn't happening. After that Hatton was a star who could get bigger names for bigger money so why bother? It was up to Witter to force the fight and it didn't come off. After the Urango fight Hattons fights were almost always set in stone besides the Lazcano fight.

Last edited by LHL; 11-27-2010 at 10:36 PM.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #70
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I agree mate. The fight should have happened in 2002-2005, once Hatton had beaten Zoo it was dead in the water.

TBH 2004 onwards I'd take Hatton but in 2002 theres every chance that Witter could go one better than Magee.

2003......?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #71
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

My line of thinking was never Witter's power. It's important to have the power, because he hasn't got work-rate so he either has to dissuade Hatton (unlikely at his peak) or stop him at some point. Just power is not logic though, Sam Peter has raw power, Urango got power.

To me Hatton was the classic case of a fighter that took punches extremely well when he could see them. He had his guard loose enough to have good vision, when the punches were long and straight, even if they landed he was primed and could tense the neck. Tszyu's right hand was picture perfect but he took them. Nobody is telling me Tszyu is not the hardest puncher Hatton faced. He perhaps couldn't react quickly enough to evade but tensing oneself is instantaneous, its instinct. When they came from underneath his line of vision, or from the periphery of his vision, he was troubled. Must have been more than just coincidence. That's where Witter did excel, he found strange shots.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #72
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Thats certainly a theory TFFP "the one you don't see" and all that.

I just think with the styles as they are a fighter with quick footwork who wants to fight inside will usually get inside against a guy who is just pot shotting to keep him out. I know Hatton got inside against Mayweather and got mugged but I;ve never seen Witter being capable of anything like that.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #73
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

Quote:
I agree mate. The fight should have happened in 2002-2005, once Hatton had beaten Zoo it was dead in the water.

TBH 2004 onwards I'd take Hatton but in 2002 theres every chance that Witter could go one better than Magee.

2003......?
I'd have to look at a bit of footage of Hatton around then, used to follow him but was just a casual back then so after i realised i didn't like him i never really looked over him again I've watched a few but not lots.

I agree TFFP from the fights I've seen of Hatton late on and in the middle of his career he was hurt by the sharp counters. Collazo done it not a huge puncher, Magee done it a few times, don't really want to use the Mayweather one but it was a quick counter.

Would of been good to see but it couldn't come off. around the 2002 - 2004 or maybe at a push 2005 it really was a pick'em for me.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2010, 04:15 AM   #74
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hattnon by knockout.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum