Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 987
Default Re: HBO card purses

berto makes 90k less for defending his wbc bogus belt against a 10 to1 underdog then sergio made for defending his real mw title against paul williams.berto is lucky that his advisor had timewarner by the balls by representing music stars
nip102 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #17
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I've said all along with Berto Mand, HBO want a personable, clean cut star. They tried Jermaine Taylor and now they are doing the same thing with Berto.
Yeah your right and just like JT...Berto's career will fall away pretty sharpish. No substance at all...
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
roe

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing4eva View Post
It doesn't matter what title you have, what you've accomplished... it's about how marketable you are. So it's not really a joke that Berto gets more than Kat
And you think Berto is more marketable than Katsidis? Katsidis could probably sell tickets better in Berto's back garden than Andre himself. He's only getting this ridiculous sum because as others have mentioned HBO wanted to try to build him as a star. I know it's boxing and it happens all the time but it's still wrong and a little out of order on someone who's been through the fights that Katsidis has and is on Saturday.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #19
spud1
HAWK TIME!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Marquez is getting paid extremely low, i thought he would be getting about $2 million.
spud1 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Berto couldn't sell tickets off the back of the Haitian earthquake (sounds bit classless but that's essentially what they tried to do for his fight against Quintana).
ishy is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Dibella is partly to blame here too. He was spooked by his experience with Taylor. Say what you want about Jermaine Taylor, but once he picked up a strap the competition was pretty stiff. I don't think Lou wants the same thing to happen to Berto. And why step up when you're getting good chedder for fighting journeymen. The problem for them is they're destroying any chance Berto had of doing something and maximising whatever potential he has. Once he finally steps up he's ganna get a massive shock, just like he did with Collazo. You can't go straight from a diet of journeymen to the elite. Especially if you have the flaws that Berto displays.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #22
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Too many little guys on JTs record for my liking.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Compared to someone like Pavlik's raign and the limitations Taylor had, it was good comp. by todays standards.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #24
SteelTownCobra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Berto couldn't sell tickets off the back of the Haitian earthquake (sounds bit classless but that's essentially what they tried to do for his fight against Quintana).
A lot of the Haitians couldn't make it though due to their houses falling down and stuff.
SteelTownCobra is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #25
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
The money Berto's getting compared to Marquez is shocking too! He's $500,000 less than the Mexican but hasn't fought anyone of consequence. He's one of the poorest title-holders out there right now.
Well actually, as the evidence above proves...he's certainly not one of the poorest belt holders maybe the wrong choice of words?
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #26
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Compared to someone like Pavlik's raign and the limitations Taylor had, it was good comp. by todays standards.
I'm not going to hold Pavlik up as the benchmark. Not a awful title reign, just too many welters and light middles, few (none?) of whom went on to do anything at 160, for me.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #27
portside
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

berto would be a great next oponnent for pacqio or mayweather, ive a feeling there holding him back for a cash in job.
portside is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #28
boxing4eva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by roe View Post
And you think Berto is more marketable than Katsidis? Katsidis could probably sell tickets better in Berto's back garden than Andre himself. He's only getting this ridiculous sum because as others have mentioned HBO wanted to try to build him as a star. I know it's boxing and it happens all the time but it's still wrong and a little out of order on someone who's been through the fights that Katsidis has and is on Saturday.
Saturdays fight is going to be a one sided mismatch that will result in people asking why Katsidis even got the amount he's already getting.
boxing4eva is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #29
roe

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing4eva View Post
Saturdays fight is going to be a one sided mismatch that will result in people asking why Katsidis even got the amount he's already getting.
I think Marquez will win but it's a close fight. Can't see it being one sided that's for sure. The only recent fight involving either of these two was the beating that Marquez got when he put a stone on to fight Mayweather. All of Katsidis' fights in the last 3 or 4 years have been competitive.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #30
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfinch View Post
Firstly, I presume those purses include the HBO tv money, otherwise the following rant will look a bit silly.

Katsidis is already the fabled 'interim champ', which surely deserves at least slightly more than a third of what Marquez is getting-but that is debatable.

HBO supposedly don't give a shit about titles. A belt is rarely referred to by its official name, and before each fight we get a 5 minute lecture from kellermann about the belts.

And probably most importantly, it is an undercard fight.

$380k is a big difference between the two.
Isn't it a co-main event?
TommyV is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum