I have to think about this one a bit more. Very good call,KuRuPT
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jersey Joe vs. Tunney

Joe had the better power and that may make the difference but Gene was experienced and a mover....may be a very technical fight and go to the cards...tough close fight
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I fancy Tunney with his mobility would dictate when and where the exchanges
take place and for what duration, quick flurries would i think be the order of the day, for sure Jersey Joe would have Gene missing with some flurries, but if Gene keeps them short and not protracted then it would be hard for Joe to Time and Counter him, perhaps Ezzard took another win over Jersey Joe for granted (?) and you can not afford to do that with such an experienced campaigner, i dont think Gene makes that mistake, it might be more often the case that Gene looks like a target, like a fistic mirage, Joe reaches for the Oasis, and finds its not there...and gets countered. in Skills and Wills there might not be much in it but whilst Jersey Joe cruises on the Main Highway Gene has that all terrain mobility, and i think that is the clincher, it stops him getting into trouble...and if he does...it gets him out of trouble... I think the convertible beats the station wagon Gene on Points for me.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Finally a fantasy match that walcot could win
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

come on guys... let's see some more responses.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hands View Post
Finally a fantasy match that walcot could win

And after much thought I reckon he would. Gene's marginally superior speed is neutralised by Joe's ring generalship and edge on power. Very close one though. Maybe 8 - 7 or 8 - 6 - 1 in rounds.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Gene would be the one coming forward behind his multiple jabs. [Think of the later rounds against Tommy Gibbons.] Tunney wasn't the sort of offensive fighter who fell into the kinds of baited traps Joe set. Being a pure boxer, I'd expect Gene to avoid the sort of full on commitment Walcott feasted on countering.

Joe would be feinting, deking, shifting and switching to fake Gene into costly mistakes. Tunney would rarely fall for these [having seen plenty of it during his era]. When Gene did get caught, he'd quickly recover to resume his favored pattern of offensive stabbing.

This would be a tedious and deliberate match of wits, strategy and tactics. At the end of the day, I believe Tunney's sheer volume of jab initiated aggression takes him to a 15 round UD. Boxing defensively wouldn't work against him, and he competed far more frequently on the front foot than JJW. [We really only see Walcott do this consistently against Ten Hoff.]
Anubis is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I really want to pick Walcott but my gut tells me Tunney by decision. Walcott punched harder and was a slick fighter at times but he also took more chances. Tunney wasn't a big puncher but he was strong and had enough power to earn the respect of his opponent. Tunney could handle Walcott's power and his quickness IMO. Tunney by close decision.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Gene would be the one coming forward behind his multiple jabs. [Think of the later rounds against Tommy Gibbons.] Tunney wasn't the sort of offensive fighter who fell into the kinds of baited traps Joe set. Being a pure boxer, I'd expect Gene to avoid the sort of full on commitment Walcott feasted on countering.

Joe would be feinting, deking, shifting and switching to fake Gene into costly mistakes. Tunney would rarely fall for these [having seen plenty of it during his era]. When Gene did get caught, he'd quickly recover to resume his favored pattern of offensive stabbing.

This would be a tedious and deliberate match of wits, strategy and tactics. At the end of the day, I believe Tunney's sheer volume of jab initiated aggression takes him to a 15 round UD. Boxing defensively wouldn't work against him, and he competed far more frequently on the front foot than JJW. [We really only see Walcott do this consistently against Ten Hoff.]

You dont' see Tunney coming at JJW playing right into his hands? Isn't that when he was at his best in your opinion? Thing is, I actually see JJW coming forward thinking he's the bigger stronger fighter and pressing the action. Not sure if that is his best strat but I can see how doing that thinking Tunney isn't big enough for him and he can overpower him and get him out of there. Question then is, if JJW is pressing the action... how does tunney fair in that scenerio?
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

I like Tunney ... better conditioned, faster, smarter, more consistent ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Here's the thing, I don't think this would be a "technical master-class" at all. I think there would be loads of baiting and feinting but i think exchanges, chances to hit, would be messy, flashy, "get over" type punches, i don't think they would be technically correct at all.

The faster fighter would win i think, narrowly.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

A very bad fight for JJW...Tunney was fast, had an iron chin...didn't fall for cute ****..and would have stuck to the script and battered Joe with jabs and straight rights...not of the knockout variety, but it would have been a consistantly punishing, unremitting sort of attack. Yes Walcott could hit harder, but what would have been the use? Tunney wouldn't have let himself get caught.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Close close contest, Walcott's slipping and countering with his lateral movement takes Tunney's jab away somewhat. Tunney looks to lead with the jab and may get countered a fair bit with those pinpoint powerful counters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

If the traps and counter punching worked against Charles, Louis and Marciano, they'd work against Tunney. Tunney didn't do quite as well against the better defensive skilled boxers in Loughran and Greb. I think the defense and counter punching sees Tunney's output drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
You dont' see Tunney coming at JJW playing right into his hands? Isn't that when he was at his best in your opinion? Thing is, I actually see JJW coming forward thinking he's the bigger stronger fighter and pressing the action. Not sure if that is his best strat but I can see how doing that thinking Tunney isn't big enough for him and he can overpower him and get him out of there. Question then is, if JJW is pressing the action... how does tunney fair in that scenerio?
Walcott stylistically is a counter puncher, I don't see him looking to walk Tunney down, he didn't do that against Charles.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
You don't see Tunney coming at JJW playing right into his hands?
No, not when Tunney's jab would be his primary offensive weapon.
Quote:
Isn't that when he was at his best in your opinion?
Oh, that was absolutely the case, probably more so for him than any other HW champion, but the speed of Gene's multiple jabs would present a different kind of offensive problem for Joe.
Quote:
Thing is, I actually see JJW coming forward thinking he's the bigger stronger fighter and pressing the action. Not sure if that is his best strat but I can see how doing that thinking Tunney isn't big enough for him and he can overpower him and get him out of there. Question then is, if JJW is pressing the action... how does Tunney fare in that scenario?
Walcott was certainly a bigger stronger fighter than Charles, and that question would necessitate a review of Jersey-Ezzard footage to see how Walcott actually did deal with that situation. [Tunney was slightly larger than Ezz, for whatever that's worth. I always consider the 192 pound Gene of the Heeney swan song in these matches.]

If Joe did press, Gene was certainly more than comfortable in those circumstances, more than JJW likely would have been in coming forward. [We saw Tunney apply his reverse gear in the opening stages of Tommy Gibbons, and in most other extant footage.]

Good thread. Good discussion. A rational case can be thoughtfully made in either man's favor. For me, Gene's high speed combined with low risk execution makes the difference. He's just not going to commit to fight changing mistakes enough for Joe to capitalize as needed to win.
Anubis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum