Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Twitter MMA Facebook Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Greater Skillset Doesnt Mean Greater Fighter

Ive noticed a lot of posters on this forum say that Floyd is a better fighter than either SRL or Roy Jones Jr because he is a more well balance fighter or has a more complete skillset. Inevitably this goes back to him having better defense than these two fighters, which is true.

This is a fallacy in logic. The better fighter is the one which wins, no matter the skill set. Yes most great fighters have many facets to their game, but many great fighters did a few things outstanding and hid their deficits by doing so.
acb is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Club Fighter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Bronx, New York, USA, North America, Earth, Milky Way
vCash: 1972
Default Re: Greater Skillset Doesnt Mean Greater Fighter

In terms of boxing greatness, PBF KO4 RJJ, PBF KO5 SRL
Club Fighter is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Fighter
In terms of boxing greatness, PBF KO4 RJJ, PBF KO5 SRL
And what constitutes greatness to you?
acb is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

A little nuance would be nice. Floyd has accomplished alot of things, and has moved up several weights more than needed to chase bigger purses, competing with heavier opposition. The fight with De La Hoya was brave, no matter how you look at it.

It's only natural that he fights a little more defensively. Duran couldn't fight inside with Hagler from bell-to-bell, so he didn't. It's a natural progression as the level of opposition rises and your options are limited.

That said, no, a greater skillset doesn't make you greater, it makes you more skilled. Greatness is an intangible. If you meant 'better', again I have to agree with you. A more skilled fighter that's bested in athleticism, heart, mental prowess, power and speed is not a better fighter than this imaginary comparison.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba
FLOYD a more "Well Balanced Fighter"??? If you don't count OFFENSE he is...
And please PBF ball huggers dont give me the **** "Ohh but he was more offensive minded 5 years ago" I guess if you show offense 2 out of 10 times youre well balanced. And I love the line " Oh you should see the Corrales fight" yeah right, you should've seen me in High School when I busted this kids nose.

Aint nobody no nuthugger but dumb *****es like you would think that. An undefeated lightweight fighter moving up and knocking some guys out in the meantime and outboxing everybody he has ever faced clearly. And the only thing his has less then both is power. Period. That is it. everything else is no question. Roy was more dominate in his prime. Sugar fought a whole bunch of stiffs before fighting benitez and hearns. I mean get a ****ing life if you watch floyd in the corrales fight, gatti fight or mitchell fight or ODH fight in which he showcased that he can beat a middle weight fighting at welter weight 149pounds. you jackass mutt lick ASS
Toopretty is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Too Pretty and Chimba, dont jack this thread.
acb is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Well the ones that says that Floyd has a better skillset than those guys mentioned are obviously blind or clueless.

They were both greater fighters and had better skillset. End of discussion.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
rustyj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yes il admit he's brave for taking the decisions, but would he have fought DLH when he was fightin whittaker and trinidad? Those are questions best left unanswered. AT present, Floyd has the opportunity to display his skills by besting with Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, and put all the doubts to bed by fighting Margarito. IMO to determine a great fighter would be a mixture of skills and the heart to fight the best there is in the fighters radar.

Therefore, you cant deny SRL status as a great fighter in comparison to PBF. SRL proved to us he had the cojones to tussle with Hagler, Hearns and Duran. Yes he had the skills, but what made him great was taking these fights.
rustyj is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Im not jackin it... all I have are facts nothing else, I dont even have an opinion, I just state facts
acb is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
igotJUIC3
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1368

you cant keep comparing Floyd to SRL because he is a legend and HOF...Floyd isnt done....RJJ should be done but he is in denial.

If you ever listen people all the time sy Floyd is the best boxer period because he has all the tools and skillsets plus a great defense....BUT if you ever listen they never call him a great because he hasnt fought the best and that is the ONLY thing that keeps him from being on the same level as SRL.
igotJUIC3 is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #11
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmelicious
exactly right. great post. floyd is right there as you said. he needs to take these career defining fights, he will have earned his atg status, and can not be denied. he made his $, won his belts, and now it's time to solidify his place in history. if he chooses not to he will always face these doubts, and criticizing.
The problem is that Floyd sees his legacy in the dollar figures he makes. To him, he isnt respected if he isnt paid DLH type money, even though he does not have DLH market appeal.

I can guarantee you Floyd is not going to start taking these fights without huge checks, sometimes too huge.
acb is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #12
SugarRay
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyj
Yes il admit he's brave for taking the decisions, but would he have fought DLH when he was fightin whittaker and trinidad? Those are questions best left unanswered. AT present, Floyd has the opportunity to display his skills by besting with Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, and put all the doubts to bed by fighting Margarito. IMO to determine a great fighter would be a mixture of skills and the heart to fight the best there is in the fighters radar.

Therefore, you cant deny SRL status as a great fighter in comparison to PBF. SRL proved to us he had the cojones to tussle with Hagler, Hearns and Duran. Yes he had the skills, but what made him great was taking these fights.
Totally agreed! When Leonard was down and getting outboxed by Hearns he dug deep and out punched Hearns. I don't see Mayweather wanting to take risky fights.
SugarRay is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #13
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Son, shut the **** up and learn, SRL well past his prime went up to light heavyweight and KTFO Golden Boy Donny Lalonde (WBC Champ), do you even know these guys?? Boxing history 101, learn my *****
yeah I know him and he was garbage. Nobody is dissing sugar. Mutts like you diss floyd. A fighter that fights handicapped fights (ODH/mayweather) that was a handicap. Sugar Ray always fought on an even playing field. Mayweather took on guys way bigger then him. Two-three weight classes. I respect that being as though these guys are good pros. You are a biased idiot. Its one thing not to like the personality but another to diss the fighter in the ring that as BOB ARUM who doesnt even like floyd said."the most talented fighter I have ever seen" Coming from ARUM who has no benefit in any way in Floyd anymore. Having seen all the greats, I mean eat a bag
Toopretty is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #14
igotJUIC3
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
yeah I know him and he was garbage. Nobody is dissing sugar. Mutts like you diss floyd. A fighter that fights handicapped fights (ODH/mayweather) that was a handicap. Sugar Ray always fought on an even playing field. Mayweather took on guys way bigger then him. Two-three weight classes. I respect that being as though these guys are good pros. You are a biased idiot. Its one thing not to like the personality but another to diss the fighter in the ring that as BOB ARUM who doesnt even like floyd said."the most talented fighter I have ever seen" Coming from ARUM who has no benefit in any way in Floyd anymore. Having seen all the greats, I mean eat a bag
exactly and ARUM isnt even the only one who says it!
igotJUIC3 is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
bigtime9
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
you cant keep comparing Floyd to SRL because he is a legend and HOF...Floyd isnt done....RJJ should be done but he is in denial.

If you ever listen people all the time sy Floyd is the best boxer period because he has all the tools and skillsets plus a great defense....BUT if you ever listen they never call him a great because he hasnt fought the best and that is the ONLY thing that keeps him from being on the same level as SRL.
floyd has fought the best fighters out there. if he fights and beats mosley, hatton, and cotto what excuse will you use then.
bigtime9 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum