Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Looking back at the tournament, it's a sad state of affairs.

This is true but Johnson IS good enough to be there. Green should never have been considered but what still a decent fringe contender.

Showtime have gone for a smaller format with the Bantam tourney, but an eight-man elimination would be even more intriguing and sort out the 'who is the best' mess there is in quite a few divisions. Getting all the belt holders in is necessary too IMO, though to a sane analyst it's clear to see Bute, Montiel and Do aire are doing their reputations damage whilst all their closest rivals battle it out for supremacy with each other.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I think the tournament has overall been good, the pluses outweigh the negatives just about.

In future though you just can not have them fighting every 6 months. Interest wains, the less attractive matchups that are inevitable become a huge deal because we're waiting so ****ing long. It has to be every 3 or 4 months.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
maybe the bamtam weight will prove a sucess but thats only 2 fights, should maybe be bout 3/4 imo
I think so mate, I'm not down on the whole Super 6, Like I say, theres been some great nights boxing but I think before its done again it needs looking at and shortening.

Fighters just arn;t going to take 2 losses on the bounce and then have another tough fight on top of that. It just doesn't happen these days.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

That's why the majority of fighters from nowadays aren't fit to carry the jock straps of fighters from yester year
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #20
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
I think the tournament has overall been good, the pluses outweigh the negatives just about.

In future though you just can not have them fighting every 6 months. Interest wains, the less attractive matchups that are inevitable become a huge deal because we're waiting so ****ing long. It has to be every 3 or 4 months.
I know I'm coming across as a right negative ****er but even that suggestion, while making sense, goes against how boxers fight these days. Its just hard to implement when ultimately all the boxers and managers are just looking out for themselves.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #21
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
That's why the majority of fighters from nowadays aren't fit to carry the jock straps of fighters from yester year
You'll get no argument from me on that score Flea......not that you expected one though, eh?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #22
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Most lads have it nail on head really but my thoughts are

-This is first tournament of it's kind, did anyone foresee it going smoothly? we all said on the day of announcement that were shocked that fighters have put themselves in this tournament. We all tried to think how it would pan out.

-Hershman should be applauded because it's a magnificent idea, his only mistake is fact he rushed in and didn't think of certain consequences. But in saying that he's still handled the comp well when it reached it's lowest ebb.

-I feel for Hershman because he can't of foreseen Dirrell pulling a fast one, or Kessler pulling out with his injury.

-It's provided a FOTY, Controversy in AA-Dirrell bout. Unleashed a potential Super-Star in Ward.

-Fight Camp has been class and really fed into fighters personality's.

-It's tried to give Green a chance, he failed, Johnson took his and he could nip in and take a place in Final.

There's plenty to be learned (future super sixes) but this tournament was to see who be the last man standing and Now Froch And Ward are left standing from the Original Six (AA talking of quitting). It's a survival of the fittest and strongest and it's really proven it to be the burial ground of fighters. Brutal!
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #23
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Yeah modern boxing is different. 30/40 years ago it would have been a roaring success but we've got a lot of greed and primadonnas. Nobody will fight through injury or adversity like they used to. I initially thought the fact fighters have the chance to redeem themselves would be a huge pluspoint but with the way the personalities are its been a negative. They've thrown their toys out of the pram and left.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #24
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
There's plenty to be learned (future super sixes) but this tournament was to see who be the last man standing and Now Froch And Ward are left standing from the Original Six (AA talking of quitting). It's a survival of the fittest and strongest and it's really proven it to be the burial ground of fighters. Brutal!
This has been the biggest positive for me. It's separated the men from the boys. The pretenders from the contenders.

Showtime's only mistake was not having contingency plans in place for when fighters withdrew, which was inevitable.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #25
Coq
Sodomizer
ESB Senior Member

for me it wasnt really about the tournament

it was the fighters fighting in it against each other

in that respect we've seen a lot of good fighters fight each other which is a great thing for the sport. the supermiddleweight division is a lot more structured that it would be without the tourney.
Coq is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #26
zico2010
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Credit to all involved in putting it together for having the vision and bravery to try something exciting and new, but it has turned out to be too complex and difficult to pull off. Too many injuries, too many replacements, too many arguments, too many selfish fighters and their teams.
zico2010 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #27
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

whoever said bout last man standing and what ever, is spot on imo
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #28
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

The last two points are good.

We've seen a lot of good fights. I'm not sure we'd have seen so many of these fights ordinarily.

We've also sorted out the men from the boys. Froch has come out looking like a tough, tough man. Ward has proved his amateur potential, he was a complete nobody at the start remember, 10/1 odds. Kessler everybody derided for fighting too many patsies has fought 2 tough, tough fights and come out evens, not a bad way to end a career. Dirrell's lack of fighting heart has been shown up. Same for Abraham, well, Abraham's boxing has been shown up. We put the nail in the coffin of JT's career. We've done a lot for sorting out the division even if its not all fitted perfectly into the structure.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #29
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah modern boxing is different. 30/40 years ago it would have been a roaring success but we've got a lot of greed and primadonnas. Nobody will fight through injury or adversity like they used to. I initially thought the fact fighters have the chance to redeem themselves would be a huge pluspoint but with the way the personalities are its been a negative. They've thrown their toys out of the pram and left.
Thats it. You're not likely to get fighters to take a fight that doesn't make sense just "for the good of the tournament" or to prove themselves straight after a loss.

Thats how fans think, not boxers management teams.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #30
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
The last two points are good.

We've seen a lot of good fights. I'm not sure we'd have seen so many of these fights ordinarily.

We've also sorted out the men from the boys. Froch has come out looking like a tough, tough man. Ward has proved his amateur potential, he was a complete nobody at the start remember, 10/1 odds. Kessler everybody derided for fighting too many patsies has fought 2 tough, tough fights and come out evens, not a bad way to end a career. Dirrell's lack of fighting heart has been shown up. Same for Abraham, well, Abraham's boxing has been shown up. We put the nail in the coffin of JT's career. We've done a lot for sorting out the division even if its not all fitted perfectly into the structure.
Its shown who the best were and shown us the truth about certain fighters.

It needs to be done across the board. 140 is pretty much doing it anyway with single fights, Welter has everyone chasing one guy, lightweight is proving the best tonight. Featherweight could do with something like this, as could middleweight (to create a perfect no.2 to fight Martinez) and Cruiser is doing it.

I think 4/8-man elimination is more feasible though. This tournament has really put it's fighters through the grinder, Froch has shown himself to have immense grit throughout.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum